Transfer case clicking noise

Well I am hoping someone here has some experience with this issue. I have a new/ remanufactured transfer case installed in my SSS. I have less then 3K on this thing and the transfer is making a clicking noise that I can hear around 20mph and below. I can’t tell if it is still clicking when I am going above 20 mainly because of wind noise. I know it is coming from the rear output shaft because I had all four wheels off the ground and put it in gear. Using a stethoscope I was able to pin point it there. Is it possible the u joint could be making the noise making sound like the transfer case? I would take it back to the dealer who did this but said that the case does not have a warranty. They paid for the one in it now since it was bad when I bought the truck and I have a receipt showing so. Any info will be appreciated. Sorry about the spelling

Edited by tanker (see edit history)

It could be the chain in the transfer case. But without me working on them Im not sure. I know its a common issue. You should have gotten some type of warranty from the dealer for the transfer case. Anything replaced by the dealer always has some type of warranty. It could also be a U joint. You need to check for play in the U joint to make sure thats it. Otherwise I would pull the inspection plug with the truck on a level surface and check to see if the T case is full. If no fluid comes out of it it needs more. GM should have used Track 2 fluid for the T case, its blue fluid.

Haven't heard of this one before. When you had the truck off the ground did you run the speed up above 20MPH?

Have you checked out the universal joint for play and wear, in order to make sure it's not causing the noise?

Seems to me that even if it came down to a small claims court case, the dealer has some responsibility to make this good.

Good luck and let us know what you figure out.

Had a noise like this in my 02 1500 lt. It was a diffrent ransfer case but it was same sound you are reporting and situation. It was the 4x4 shift actuator that mounts to the outside of it to go in and out of 4wheel. I don't believe that we have one on here just letting you know what I experienced.

Downeast johnny I had the truck up on the rack idling in gear and could hear the noise from the output shaft area. The tires were off theground and free rolling. My u joint looks good and tight, no play at all. Is it possible for the noise traveling up in to the output shaft? The transfer also has auto trak 2 in. Nice and blue.

Well I am hoping someone here has some experience with this issue. I have a new/ remanufactured transfer case installed in my SSS. I have less then 3K on this thing and the transfer is making a clicking noise that I can hear around 20mph and below. I can’t tell if it is still clicking when I am going above 20 mainly because of wind noise. I know it is coming from the rear output shaft because I had all four wheels off the ground and put it in gear. Using a stethoscope I was able to pin point it there. Is it possible the u joint could be making the noise making sound like the transfer case? I would take it back to the dealer who did this but said that the case does not have a warranty. They paid for the one in it now since it was bad when I bought the truck and I have a receipt showing so. Any info will be appreciated. Sorry about the spelling

It should have some sort of warrenty. ill post a vid of a truck we had in the shop with t-case out of it lets just say its very noticable

It should have some sort of warrenty. ill post a vid of a truck we had in the shop with t-case out of it lets just say its very noticable

I will really appreciate it if you do. I will try to get a vid posted on here also of what I can hear. I know it will click just rolling down my driveway alittle. I will say I dont hear it when the truck first starts out driving but after a mile or two once I slow down it is noticable. Kinda like what ever is clicking has to be worked just alittle then it starts that click sound. I have noticed alittle play in the tail shaft. Nothing extreme to me but might contribute

Here is what I found. I pulled the drive shaft to physically feel the u joints for any tightness. U joints checked out fine. i decided to look inside at the tail shaft bearing by shining a light in there and I found this brownish looking metal piece just flopped over resting on the output shaft. Can any one tell me what this is. The bearing looked complete from what I could see and there was no scaring or chuncks of metal inside the rear of the case. Any ideas???

Having problems uploading the pic... Trying to figure this out. will post the pics soon I hope

Alright I think these will post.. I know its far fetched but since this is a Reman unit is it possible that this piece of what ever that metal is could of been left in there on accident. The unit came as one piece and just called for fluid to be added. Wishful thinking.....

post-25038-0-43702500-1365469971_thumb.jpg

post-25038-0-26842000-1365469981_thumb.jpg

post-25038-0-35259200-1365469989_thumb.jpg

Edited by tanker (see edit history)