Kelley Performance 4L65e Build- Blk_SS's 04' SSS

kelleyperformance

thanks for all the kind words guys :cheers: i love what i do, i try my best to do a decent job at it :D

Damn dude! Didn't think u would be up all nights after the text at 11 pm lol! Can't wait to get her back now.

Great write up. Learned a lot! :thumbsup:

yeah if you cant sleep, might as well be productive! :lol: your going to be a happy camper :burnout:

Solid parts list. You know about the 2-3 shift valve mod?

The only thing I question specially with running a Radix is reinforcing the spline on the input drum with a billet collar.

Also kudos for taking the time to have a detailed internal trans thread for everyone. I know myself this would take a lot of time to do.

yes sir i do, i have a few of those Superior Solutions 2-3 kits here. i was going to throw one in, usually depends on how beat up the valve is in the VB for me :thumbs: i hear you on the input drum, i just dont see the need on this particular build but its never a bad idea :) thanks for the compliment, i think if people should read anything (not to mention to try and clear up all this mis-information there is posted on this topic lol) it should be about this. you had a great how to thread btw, im just explaining why they need to do that and use your thread :wink:

It's pretty much exactly that: stock block 3.0"pulley, full exhaust with cats, LT headers, stock j tube with the cai, tune, and for me it's just daily driven with the occasional spirited drive.

And thanks for your honest opinion John

yeah so i would not recommend spending the money on the shafts for your case :thumbs: happy to help.

just dont come find me if you break an output shaft :lol::jester:

Haha yeah. I texted John last night and as i was hitting the send button, i was like "shit. Due to the time change, hes probably asleep. Hope i didnt wake him up." Haha and a minute later he replied "Nope! Not sleeping! Building a trans!" Haha it was close to 2.a.m when he sent me pics of the project. He's a beast.

Haha the bed of my truck looks just like that! Full of driveshafts and a Tcase. My trans is getting built as well. I only hope my builder knows as much as you.. But doubt it. He has been doing scrictly transmission builds and repairs for over 30yrs though. He knows his shit. Only reason im getting it rebuilt is cuz the pump went out. With the shift kit and servos, ive never had a problem with my trans. Like John said, these are essential, as well as maintanence and keeping temps down with a bigger cooler. Ive got the vette servo now, maybe ill have him upgrade it to the sonnax. Will he have to custom grind the shaft for the correct clearances like you had to? He also said there is a 12 pack clutch kit for the 3-4 shift over the stock 5 clutch pack? Is that what you installed in this one? The 8 fullsize clutches and 7steels=15. Maybe thats what he was talking about? Im going to order my PI 2800 triple disc and bring that over to Turbo Tom (the trans guy). Would you recommend upgrading the flex plate? Im still rocking the stock one.

Keep up the good work! Im sure Alex is gonna love the new trans. And talk about customer service! Staying until 2-3am to get a headstart on the build. Thats awesome! :thumbsup:

i dunno if id go that far, im sure he knows his shit :thumbs: but thanks either way :D the 3-4 clutch pack is a huge failure point on these transmissions, and if you have it out and apart (have to for the pump either way) i would certainly put a few items that are known issues, and arent too expensive. id do, at the minimum- a "beast" sun shell kit, new 2-4 Red band (OE width unless you get a new 2-4 band drum, otherwise it will burn on the edges...), 3-4 clutch pack kit (i like the Alto Red Eagle 8 clutch/7 full size steels- I DO NOT like the Z-Pac :popcorn: for heavily modified heavy trucks like these; those are the one sided friction material 3-4 clutches. yes they are better than OEM, no i dont prefer them for blown heavy trucks. fbody, corvette? absolutely use the Z pack. Other option i like is the Blue Plate Special, Raybestos makes them, and has full-size steel version as well. regardless what you pick- make sure he uses ALL the clutches and full size steels. some builders like to eliminate some clutches/steels for faster spin-up/shift but it takes out of your holding capacity and us truck guys just cant afford that.), change out the three little accumulator pistons on/in the valve body- make sure you have all 3 metal (one or two stock ones are plastic-they crack and leak, then you loose a large amount of fluid pressure on your most important shifts. this fix is less than $20 altogether!), make sure to buy/use the high RPM pump spring (i know PATC sells them... dont recall who makes the spring but its NOT in the shift kit!), Borg Warner 29 element forward sprag (this is prob the #1 or #2 fail point on these transmissions and this part is $30); so those few things (may seem like alot but its maybe $150-200 of parts, majority of that being 3-4 clutch kit...) if you have the trans apart will get it to last much longer and be much more reliable. id go ahead and do that while its out man. it cant hurt and its worth the little bit of money... sounds like your in good hands with this guy which is the biggest part of the trans battle- if its installed wrong, doesnt matter what parts you have!

for the servo pin- yes its a tad longer than the stock pin, but sometimes it doesnt need any adjustment. your builder will know what to do, he needs to install it straight up and apply the servo, check to make sure the input shaft/drum spins freely with the servos installed. if it doesnt, the pin is too long and is dragging... this will cause immediate 2-4 band failure. its easy to check and easy to pull back out and grind. im sure hes done this before on modified trans, no big deal :)

oh and i think the clutches he is referring to for 3-4 is the z pac... its what all those "older" trans builders use (not an insult :lol: that used to be the only thing available for the 4L60e so i think thats why so many of these guys swear by them... but now theres many better options for heavy vehicles like stated above). youll have to ask him, who knows lol

for the flex plate- i put the SFI/heavy duty ones in anything with a 3000 stall or higher typically. but the stockers can crack from time to time, even on bone stock vehicles (last one i had crack was a TBSS 100% stock). if you have the $90 or whatever it is, go ahead and change it. better safe than sorry right? if it cracks, whole thing has to come out just to change it :banghead:

SO we are going with a Circle D 278mm HP 2600 stall converter :thumbs: chris is a good guy over there, and he even has his own "ask chris" button!! what do i have to do to get an "ask john" button??? (or is that what my PM button on here really says and no one told me... that would explain alot :lol: ) ive used Circle D before, always had good results and they have a good reputation so i think youll be happy Alex :cheers: i think it should be an ideal converter for you- nice and tight like a stock converter under light throttle/normal driving but nice kick in the ass under WOT. maybe even some nice smokey AWD burnouts??? (the coolest automotive thing ever :cool::burnout: ) sorry jason- your gunna have to settle for second place at the track now :jester:

John :cheers:

Jesus dude... You really know your shit.. Ill talk to the builder a bit and see what he plans to use before he pulls the trigger. Ill print off your statement above, and your parts list. Haha i dont want him putting in outdated technology. Actually, if you could PM me a parts list that you recommend i put in my trans, id greatly appreciate it. Id hate to overlook something and have to have it redone a few weeks later.

Jesus dude... You really know your shit.. Ill talk to the builder a bit and see what he plans to use before he pulls the trigger. Ill print off your statement above, and your parts list. Haha i dont want him putting in outdated technology. Actually, if you could PM me a parts list that you recommend i put in my trans, id greatly appreciate it. Id hate to overlook something and have to have it redone a few weeks later.

not a problem brandon ill do that now :thumbs:

Haha thanks John. Only for now. When I get you slap the silly gas on it we shall see. Yr doing a great job man.

oh thats right i forgot... hmm thats gunna be an interesting race. hes got that 2600-2800 stall now tho, that should make a huge difference. hook up the shop GoPros!! :pop::driving: