Best transmission fluid

my reason is I'm always looking for the best product I can. I personally my op is Amsoil is top notch. So I use all there products. For instance does anyone put what ever crap oil GM uses back in there vehicles. That's just me that's why there are tons of options so we all can try new stuff.

For sake of argument here, why is Amsoil "top notch"? And why is GM product "crap oil"? What basis do you base these facts (or opinions)? Is Amsoil top notch because they command a premium price? Where is the R/D that backs any of these statements? I'd like to see an unbiased comparison that proves any of this out, other than the propaganda released by these independent manufacturers claiming their product to be the best. I would venture to guess The General wouldn't just throw any old shit in their transmissions and engines to save a dime. The cost of replacement hard parts > lubricant of any kind. It is in their best interest to do it right the first time, especially after paying engineers countless dollars to build a product that works.

Discuss

my reason is I'm always looking for the best product I can. I personally my op is Amsoil is top notch. So I use all there products. For instance does anyone put what ever crap oil GM uses back in there vehicles. That's just me that's why there are tons of options so we all can try new stuff.

In my opinion its a highly advertised product that isnt any better than most.

It also seems to me they as in Amsoil tell people "We can make you feel cool and be a dealer for us so you can promote and sell our product and make it seem like its the best"

Im not saying its bad stuff, but I really contest its the best.

I'm not one to say that the Dexron product is "crap". It is ADEQUATE. It meets all the specs and requirements that are needed to keep our vehicles running. AMSOIL is a superior product though in every aspect. There have been tons of field tests to collect physical data on both products and the AMSOIL was better in all fields. here is the current physical data sheet from Mobil.com for the Mobile DEXRON-VI atf:

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_Dexron-VI_ATF.aspx

In comparison, here is AMSOIL's Physical Data Sheet for the Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Auto Trans Fluid

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g173.pdf

The ATF listed above is AMSOIL's basic grade fluid. There is the Torque-Drive and Super-Shift Racing Trans fluid that are also available with even better stats. Price comparison for the two is for the Mobil DEXRON-VI - Retail $9.99. Retail for the AMSOIL is $11.60. As you can see in the two data sheets, every listed property is in favor of the AMSOIL. The Viscosity index is much higher at both 40 and 100 degrees, and has a much more impressive Viscosity Index. I'm not sure if you know what the Brookfield Viscosity test is, but, in a nutshell, It's a test that measures the torque that it takes to rotate something at a constant speed in oil at -40 degrees celcius. The lower the number, the number, the less torque it takes to spin what you are testing. Both companies participated in Brookfield Viscosity tests and the AMSOIL's number was 2000 cP lower than the Mobile.

Those are the actual test numbers, but you can spout off results form tests all day long and not convince someone of anything. I'm aware of that. The only way to really make someone a believer is to do their own comparison. I really hope those that do post up their own experiences. I've not personally switched from the stock atf to the AMSOIL atf in the truck yet, but I have the oil. Going from Mobile 1 to the AMSOIL XL increased both my city and highway fuel economy by 2 MPG. Does that mean that the Mobile 1 oil is crap? Nope. Does that mean any of the other companies that paid the large fee to get GM to put their name on the DEXOS approved list are junk? Nope. Does it mean I feel that the AMSOIL is worth a few bucks more? Definitely. While I'm on that, I'll list too that AMSOIL chose not to pay the large fee to become DEXOS 1 (and DEXOS 2 for the diesel oil) approved so that they could do what they could to keep costs down. When the DEXOS requirements came out, AMSOIL was already meeting the requirements, but have since refined even more and are exceeding the DEXOS requirements in several areas and at least meeting all of them.

Anyway, back to the ATF. I have already switched to it in my Trans Am and the trans temps decreased significantly. That's pretty important to me, because I am pretty hard on that vehicle and high temps tend to cause problems. Again, I could write a bunch of reasons why I personally like it better and think it's worth a couple more dollars a gallon, but that's going to be a waste of breath because it will be taken as a dealer talking up his product. The only thing I can say is talk to customers who have actually used the product and/or do your own comparisons.

I'm not one to say that the Dexron product is "crap". It is ADEQUATE. It meets all the specs and requirements that are needed to keep our vehicles running. AMSOIL is a superior product though in every aspect. There have been tons of field tests to collect physical data on both products and the AMSOIL was better in all fields. here is the current physical data sheet from Mobil.com for the Mobile DEXRON-VI atf:

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_Dexron-VI_ATF.aspx

In comparison, here is AMSOIL's Physical Data Sheet for the Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Auto Trans Fluid

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g173.pdf

The ATF listed above is AMSOIL's basic grade fluid. There is the Torque-Drive and Super-Shift Racing Trans fluid that are also available with even better stats. Price comparison for the two is for the Mobil DEXRON-VI - Retail $9.99. Retail for the AMSOIL is $11.60. As you can see in the two data sheets, every listed property is in favor of the AMSOIL. The Viscosity index is much higher at both 40 and 100 degrees, and has a much more impressive Viscosity Index. I'm not sure if you know what the Brookfield Viscosity test is, but, in a nutshell, It's a test that measures the torque that it takes to rotate something at a constant speed in oil at -40 degrees celcius. The lower the number, the number, the less torque it takes to spin what you are testing. Both companies participated in Brookfield Viscosity tests and the AMSOIL's number was 2000 cP lower than the Mobile.

Those are the actual test numbers, but you can spout off results form tests all day long and not convince someone of anything. I'm aware of that. The only way to really make someone a believer is to do their own comparison. I really hope those that do post up their own experiences. I've not personally switched from the stock atf to the AMSOIL atf in the truck yet, but I have the oil. Going from Mobile 1 to the AMSOIL XL increased both my city and highway fuel economy by 2 MPG. Does that mean that the Mobile 1 oil is crap? Nope. Does that mean any of the other companies that paid the large fee to get GM to put their name on the DEXOS approved list are junk? Nope. Does it mean I feel that the AMSOIL is worth a few bucks more? Definitely. While I'm on that, I'll list too that AMSOIL chose not to pay the large fee to become DEXOS 1 (and DEXOS 2 for the diesel oil) approved so that they could do what they could to keep costs down. When the DEXOS requirements came out, AMSOIL was already meeting the requirements, but have since refined even more and are exceeding the DEXOS requirements in several areas and at least meeting all of them.

Anyway, back to the ATF. I have already switched to it in my Trans Am and the trans temps decreased significantly. That's pretty important to me, because I am pretty hard on that vehicle and high temps tend to cause problems. Again, I could write a bunch of reasons why I personally like it better and think it's worth a couple more dollars a gallon, but that's going to be a waste of breath because it will be taken as a dealer talking up his product. The only thing I can say is talk to customers who have actually used the product and/or do your own comparisons.

Thats what I like to see. Information. People tend to buy things because they heard someone used it that had good luck, read a testimonial, blah, blah, blah. Amsoil may very well make better stuff, and reading your provided information it sure reads that way. I would much rather buy a product after gathering knowledge instead of trusting a shiny product package. My main intent was to get people thinking, not necessarily gearing anything negative towards Amsoil-it was the only other name brought up. I had a guy tell me a few minutes ago tell me that he would never buy a Chevy over a Ford because "Chevys are junk"..why? because he "doesn't like them"...good info. If he only knew what choices I had to drive into work here....

Like I said this is how I feel about it. I've have been using it since 2007 in my truck and all my other equipment and my brother as well. It's in all his lawn equipment and his Duramax. No engine probs in any of the vehicles. Everything runs great. So I go off using the product. I not a dealer so I'm not making them any money but I have used the product for 6 years so that's why I say I like it so much. I have researched the hell out of it and like stated above I think it's better than the rest out there but like I said that's my Op. it's it the best shit idk but it's great for me and what I've seen so far. My brother loves it also. He makes his money with his equipment. So that's my story guys.

In May I will be swapping out all fluids and filters for the 2nd time in the trucks life. I did this in 2007 also at 51k miles, I used all dealership synthectic fluids and not one issue arose and I will be going back to those fluids no question (I am at 64k). My truck is completely stock also. In the future I may switch to amsoil or Mobil1 lube gears, but I certainly see no problem with GM synthetic fluids from my first hand experience and the brass at my dealership ask how much I will sell my truck for to them (this is no joke, they know it is taken care of beyond GM's maintenance schedule). The only thing I am worried about is my tranny as the liquid acts as a detergent, and 2 auto trans swaps under 100k I do not want to risk my trans but condensation has built up so I have to do a flush.

Like I said this is how I feel about it. I've have been using it since 2007 in my truck and all my other equipment and my brother as well. It's in all his lawn equipment and his Duramax. No engine probs in any of the vehicles. Everything runs great. So I go off using the product. I not a dealer so I'm not making them any money but I have used the product for 6 years so that's why I say I like it so much. I have researched the hell out of it and like stated above I think it's better than the rest out there but like I said that's my Op. it's it the best shit idk but it's great for me and what I've seen so far. My brother loves it also. He makes his money with his equipment. So that's my story guys.

ill take your word for it. It's better then sticking my head up a bulls ass

no worries at all Jason, I just like to see people back up their opinions with reasoning. I've never heard a 4l60 break due to a fluid concern, unless it was due to lack of maintenance. When I worked for GM I always laughed at the folks that come in requesting Mobil oil instead of our "cheaper" bulk oil, "cause its' shit". Our bulk oil from GM was Mobil, and a hell of a lot cheaper. But feel free to pay extra for that bottle.

No prob just stating why I like it. Like I say it's been great for me and yeah I pay a little more for it but so far so good. I'm sure other fluids are great but it's hard to change when it working so good for me.

No prob just stating why I like it. Like I say it's been great for me and yeah I pay a little more for it but so far so good. I'm sure other fluids are great but it's hard to change when it working so good for me.

preach on brother

Additional point, and my main one. There are a lot of younger (read: more impressionable) owners on the site that come here for knowledge. Generally, the younger crowd has less to spend. Us older, more seasoned members are looked up to for the right info. I would prefer that those members know that dex 6, the o'reilly comparable brand, Amsoil, etc at all good choices depending on budget, and not be steered another direction due to opinion only. Personal preferences are great and more than welcome, but don't bash another product just out of opinion. Im sure I could post up that I hate washing my truck with anything other than kerosene, and some would digest that as gospel because I have been here a while. All I'm saying is please be careful so that others don't get the wrong impression.

Additional point, and my main one. There are a lot of younger (read: more impressionable) owners on the site that come here for knowledge. Generally, the younger crowd has less to spend. Us older, more seasoned members are looked up to for the right info. I would prefer that those members know that dex 6, the o'reilly comparable brand, Amsoil, etc at all good choices depending on budget, and not be steered another direction due to opinion only. Personal preferences are great and more than welcome, but don't bash another product just out of opinion. Im sure I could post up that I hate washing my truck with anything other than kerosene, and some would digest that as gospel because I have been here a while. All I'm saying is please be careful so that others don't get the wrong impression.

I agree with that completely. Like I said before, I'm not here to tell anyone that the stock GM stuff is bad, or that anyone is wrong for using their brand of choice. More than likely, (or at least hopefully) it's their choice for a reason. I basically became an AMSOIL Independent Dealer, because that made it cheaper for me to buy the product, and at the same time, be a good way for my friends to also get products as cheap as possible. I have a local Direct Dealer that is only a few miles down the road, so I can get my local customers things for the cheapest possible price. The ones that need shipped, I can ship for about the same or sometimes a little less than they could buy locally, unless they have a direct dealer right there too. I look at what I've got as a service and not a business, and I'm definitely not a salesman, so I'll never get rich off of it anyway. I just offer my opinions on my particular product and offer info about the testing that's been done. That way, you know what I offer and can make your own decisions. It doesn't hurt my feelings if someone doesn't feel the additional cost is justified, and I'm not pushing anyone who isn't sure if they can financially afford something other than the cheapest available stuff. People are different and have different needs, and AMSOIL doesn't meet everyone's. It does work great for those who can afford and justify it.

Just to throw in there my Cadillac has a sealed tranny with 125000 miles with the stock fluid with no signs of slipping I couldn't change it even if I wanted to you need a special machine the dealer doesn't require it be changed until 120000 I'm trading it in or I would done it but my truck isn't gonna be stock with the new tranny so I don't think the fluid should be stock so factory fluid is good but when there is a demand for more then I couldn't hurt to see what other people are running thanks for the info guys and I think we can agree the debate has kept us busy and gave us a laugh that's what makes this site so great P.s any other comments are welcome chime on in brothers

Oh I totally agree with you. I'm 37 yrs old and I don't know everything and I'm always ready to learn something new. I'm the kinda person that has to see it to believe it. I don't just read something and think I know what I'm talking about. I've been on the site since 05 and member since 06. I've learned alot on here.