Amplifier/Sub Installation

IdriveGTP

Here are some detailed instructions for installing an aftermarket amp/sub to a SS.

1. Take off back of center console.  First take out the center console tray and lid.  This will expose 2 screws at the back of the console (toward the rear), and then take out the 4 screws in the cup holder in back. 

MVC-001F.JPG

2. Make this easy, get a good converter.  I purchased a PAC brand converter made especially for adding a amp to a Bose system for our trucks.  The part number is: AOEM-GM24.  Here is a link where I got mine: PAC AOEM-GM24

MVC-002F.JPG

(Bose amp is in the background - this pic was taken from the back of truck)

3. Plug in the PAC.  It is that simple.  The only other thing that you are going to have to do is get a 3M crimp connector and splice in the remote wire (as per the instruction in the PAC package) (it is the pink wire on the harness).

MVC-009F.JPG

4. Run the wires (remote wire and RCA wires) back to your amp.  I have a JL Audio Stealthbox under the drivers side rear seat, so my amp is under the passenger side rear seat. 

5. Run your power and ground cable.  I ran my ground cable to a stud under the back seat.

MVC-003F.JPG

For the power, I ran my wire up through a grommet in the drivers side floorboard, then back through the door threshold and on to the amp behind the back seat.

MVC-004F.JPG

6. Hook up the wires.  What can I say, just plug everything in, adjust the levels, and enjoy the new seat massagers.  Let me know if you need any more pics or advice!  Rob

MVC-010F.JPG

Here`s a where I got mine. Cost a little less.

http://store.electrogalaxy.com/pacaoemgm24.html

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would try a search to see if there is anything on the MTX's, but off hand I don't remember anyone saying too much about them...

About the converter, I just happened to use the PAC brand. There are others out there, but this one simply plugged in, and only required splicing in one wire. If you want some other options, you might try asking someone like 6.0SS (his name is Joe), I am sure he would be happy to help out and suggest any other converters! Let me know if I can help!

• 1 month later...

One more question about this setup.

Do your original GM Bose speakers still work, and did you just add an amplifier and speakers to the whole setup or what? Cause that's still not clear to me.

thanks

Pascal

One more question about this setup.

Do your original GM Bose speakers still work, and did you just add an amplifier and speakers to the whole setup or what? Cause that's still not clear to me.

thanks

Pascal

The PAC converter IdriveGTP used just lets you add an amp to your existing bose setup. The bose speakers still work, now you have 2 sets of RCA outs to use to hook up an external amp(s) and some subs. I followed his instructions and just did my install. It went good. Pictures really help explain the install. :cheers:

IdriveGTP: Thanks again for the install with pics. I've got the added thump I want now. I'm leaving my back seat out till I get my amp adjusted. It's mounted behind the seat and man was that fun. :D After I listen to it for a week or so, I'll put the back seat in.

Well.....I wish that I could say that I still have that thump......but I kind of blew my JL...... :D

I have a new one coming (thanks 6.0SS...a.k.a. Joe) for the advice/pricing on the new sub!

• 3 weeks later...

I just ordered the PAC adapter, got it for $22 off ebay :yellow_loser: Anyway, i have a system from my past couple of rides laying around and it is 2 12's. Should I try to use both of them in a set-up for my SS or is there not enough air space for them to work correctly. I have been looking at all these custom boxes made to go under the seat but it just doesn;t seem like that much room or space. I have an old box that was in my S10 single cab which I fit two 12's in and was thinkin about cutting it down the middle and putting a box under each side and the amp on the hump in the middle to store it. Think this will work. If anyone has 2 12"s under there rear seat i would like to hear some thoughts. The box from my s10 actually fits under the seat rather nicely, almost like it was meant to do that but I would have to cut it so it can fit because it can't fit over the center. What you all think?

Thanx

How do I find out how much space I need. They aren't high tech subs like are out now. They are rockford fosgates, not sure which series, like i said they are kinda older but when i had them hooked up they thumped. There not real deep subs either.

Do you have a pic of them, or a model #? if you have a model # you can just look them up on google, and the info should be there. A lot of the older rockford subs did perform better with a lot of space. I have an old one and it is supposed to have 1.67 cu. ft. per sub.(not necessarily the same as your sub) You can build a box that would have about 1.0 cu ft that would still fit under the rear seat. Fill that box with some polyfill and you would be ok.

Aaron

Archived