Amplifier/Sub Installation

IdriveGTP

Here are some detailed instructions for installing an aftermarket amp/sub to a SS.

1. Take off back of center console. First take out the center console tray and lid. This will expose 2 screws at the back of the console (toward the rear), and then take out the 4 screws in the cup holder in back.

MVC-001F.JPG

2. Make this easy, get a good converter. I purchased a PAC brand converter made especially for adding a amp to a Bose system for our trucks. The part number is: AOEM-GM24. Here is a link where I got mine: PAC AOEM-GM24

MVC-002F.JPG

(Bose amp is in the background - this pic was taken from the back of truck)

3. Plug in the PAC. It is that simple. The only other thing that you are going to have to do is get a 3M crimp connector and splice in the remote wire (as per the instruction in the PAC package) (it is the pink wire on the harness).

MVC-009F.JPG

4. Run the wires (remote wire and RCA wires) back to your amp. I have a JL Audio Stealthbox under the drivers side rear seat, so my amp is under the passenger side rear seat.

5. Run your power and ground cable. I ran my ground cable to a stud under the back seat.

MVC-003F.JPG

For the power, I ran my wire up through a grommet in the drivers side floorboard, then back through the door threshold and on to the amp behind the back seat.

MVC-004F.JPG

6. Hook up the wires. What can I say, just plug everything in, adjust the levels, and enjoy the new seat massagers. Let me know if you need any more pics or advice! Rob

MVC-010F.JPG

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have 2 JL W3 10" subs, a JL 500x1 amp, and I need boxes for and those stealth boxes look nice, do they have them for both sides? Also, I noticed your power wire was kinda small, how big of an amp are you running? I was planning on doing my own custom box when I got into my house and had a garage to build one in, but may have changed my mind if the boxes themselves are that expensive.

Yes, JL makes a box for both sides, and I have even seen a truck with two, all you have to do is relocate the amp. For the power wire, I used a 8 gauge wire, which is what is reccommended for my amp (it is a 350 watt) (same amp/box/wire that I used in my 02 Z71). Not only does JL make this black plastic box, they also make them to match different carpet styles (but they were A LOT MORE MONEY). I have had good luck with this setup...and the best thing is when someone sits in the backseat, they don't know what is coming (I love to scare the hell out of people)...

Rob

Oh, and one more thing. JL makes 2 different size boxes (looking as rdss's post, it made me think). They make a box for a 10 and 12, whatever you want. I originally went with the JL box because they were the only one who offered a 12" underseat box, but I know they make them for the 10".

Oh, and one more thing.  JL makes 2 different size boxes (looking as rdss's post, it made me think).  They make a box for a 10 and 12, whatever you want.  I originally went with the JL box because they were the only one who offered a 12" underseat box, but I know they make them for the 10".

Thanks for the info, I might have to give them a call and see what they can do for me. :thumbs:

I have 2 JL W3 10" subs, a JL 500x1 amp, and I need boxes for and those stealth boxes look nice, do they have them for both sides?  Also, I noticed your power wire was kinda small, how big of an amp are you running?  I was planning on doing my own custom box when I got into my house and had a garage to build one in, but may have changed my mind if the boxes themselves are that expensive.

damn charlie we have about the same setup....w3v2??

Im not sure if the are the w3v2, but they are 10" w3's. What set up did you use for you box? That is the only thing keeping me from installing the subs and if the two stealth boxes arent that expensive, I might go that route. If you have some pics that would be cool if you have any.

I have 2 JL W3 10" subs, a JL 500x1 amp, and I need boxes for and those stealth boxes look nice, do they have them for both sides?  Also, I noticed your power wire was kinda small, how big of an amp are you running?  I was planning on doing my own custom box when I got into my house and had a garage to build one in, but may have changed my mind if the boxes themselves are that expensive.

damn charlie we have about the same setup....w3v2??

Im not sure if the are the w3v2, but they are 10" w3's. What set up did you use for you box? That is the only thing keeping me from installing the subs and if the two stealth boxes arent that expensive, I might go that route. If you have some pics that would be cool if you have any.

i think my sig has pics, otherwise i can shoot you some.

You had one, it looks pretty cool, did you build it or have it built?

i picked up a box at a local stereo shop that fits side to side under the back seat and is carpeted to match. it's a down fire box (speakers face downwords). they come to fit 10's or 12's. i also have two 10w3's. i've seen them at three shops ranging in price from $100 to $200.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived