How To: Comp Rocker Trunion Upgrade

Cramer

Here is a run down with pictures on how to upgrade your factory rocker arm trunions with the Comp Cams rocker trunion upgrade kit part# 13702 KIT. The process is very simple if you have the right tools. If you don't have the right tools I don't recommend doing this.

Tools are: Snap ring pliers, Arbor press or hydraulic ( I prefer an arbor since you can feel the pressure), a die to place under the rocker for the removal of the factory parts ( Min opening of .900 max opening of 1.120 and have enough room under to allow the parts to be pushed out), a top press with a diameter of .50 at min ( I used a socket that was .542), and a top press that is around 1".

I am not responsible for anything that gets broken or someone who gets hurt!

This is how I did it and others may have a different way of doing it.

Total time from start to finish was under an hour.

Step 1: Removing the factory parts.

th_2013-03-13_22-31-11_936.jpg

Place rocker trunion in the center of the opening of the bottom die.

th_2013-03-13_22-31-36_568.jpg

Place the upper press in the center of the trunion, and apply a firm pressure to the press and it should pop out.

This leaves the cap of the top in the rocker that slides out, and the rest is in the bottom die.

th_2013-03-13_22-31-56_396.jpg

th_2013-03-13_22-54-21_481.jpg

Now is a good time to clean the rocker as to not have any foreign objects mess with the install of the new trunions.

Step 2: Installing the Comp Trunions.

*Note that you have to install the bearings with the writing facing out on both sides of the rocker.*

Place the new bearings on a flat plate or the base of the press. Place the rocker on top and keep it centered and level to the bearing. Use the 1" drive press in the center of the rocker bore to drive the rocker down on the bearing till the bearing is level with the rocker.

th_2013-03-13_22-52-42_486.jpg

th_2013-03-13_22-54-08_39.jpg

Repeat this process to all 16 rockers.

Now install the trunion center in the rocker from the opposite side of the installed bearing. Follow with a bearing on top of it with the lettering out. Keep the bearing that is already press in on the flat plate or base of the press. Now place the supplied washer over the trunion center on top of the bearing. Keep everything centered on the rocker and apply pressure to the washer with the press till you feel it stop. Raise the press while keeping the washer on top of the rocker. Place the second washer on the base plate and lift the rocker over the washer. The trunion will move down allowing you to align the washer up with it. With everything centered up apply pressure with the press again till you feel it bottom out. The bearing should be flush with the outside of the rocker as before.

th_2013-03-13_23-15-02_793.jpg

th_2013-03-13_23-15-48_124.jpg

th_2013-03-13_22-54-08_39.jpg

th_2013-03-13_23-17-17_535.jpg

th_2013-03-13_23-18-19_205.jpg

Now you install the snap rings on both sides of the new trunions in the snap ring grooves. Make sure the grooves are free of dirt or anything that will hinder the full closure of the snap ring. Double check the snap rings after they are installed to make sure they are fully seated.

th_2013-03-13_23-32-22_897.jpg

After all this you are finished with the upgrade. Time to install and have a piece of mind that your bearings aren't going to fall out and destroy parts.

Edited by sinr98 (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have been redoing my photobucket account. I will try to get the pics up soon.

It's more of a reliability upgrade as the stock needle bearings have been known to come out of the trunion and fall into the motor....