Anyone turn thier SSS into a truck?

JustinS

I don't know. I don't really think it sounds that crazy? I realize that the truck was designed to be a sport truck and i'm the first to stand by what the vehicle was designed for. I'm not one to overly modify the appearance of a vehicle from it's origianal look. I feel like if you have to do that than you bought the wrong vehicle.

However, This thing drives like a truck. Looks like a truck, and feels like a truck. But it's sitting like a car with car tires. I have only had it for about a week and I noticed every other truck i'm near makes me feel like a lowrider. There's SUV's out there with women driving them that are sitting at a better ride height than me.

It's partially my fault because my buddy had one a few years ago and I had a Dodge Hemi Rumble bee 2WD that I remembered being the same size. Recently I got rid of a Hemi Ram 2500 HD with a leveling kit and 35's. That truck was a little to big but it felt good to be high on the road.

What I was wondering about was just adding some truck tires to the truck. Nothing to agressive but something you could make it out of a mud puddle. I probably wouldn't lift it because I don't think they look ride at bigger truck heights. It makes them look like clones.

I'm going to try and dig up a picture of what i'm talking about.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually just found these which appear to still be low profile but do have an agressive pattern. They come in plenty of different sizes. I'd like them with a little more sidewall than this picture. The price isn't to bad either at $215/per. What do you guys think?

*Edit*. They offer this tire in 275-55, 275-60 and 275-65. I'm going to search it out and see some pictures of them.

coo-01401_w.jpg

Edited by JustinS (see edit history)

I actually just found these which appear to still be low profile but do have an agressive pattern. They come in plenty of different sizes. I'd like them with a little more sidewall than this picture. The price isn't to bad either at $215/per. What do you guys think?

*Edit*. They offer this tire in 275-55, 275-60 and 275-65. I'm going to search it out and see some pictures of them.

coo-01401_w.jpg

Those tires would be fine. Nothing wrong with putting a little more aggressive tread on a SS. We just don't really care for SS's that people try to lift and put big old tires on it. They are sport trucks

I feel like if you have to do that than you bought the wrong vehicle.

I think you answered your question right there. No we do not lift these trucks and put big tires on them. If riding high was our taste, we wouldnt have bought these trucks. They are "Super Sports". You wont find anyone on this site that has a lifted SS. It's not that we all dislike lifted trucks, because I'm sure some of us have lifted trucks of our own. But If I were to have a lifted truck (which I wouldn't because its not my style), you wouldn't catch me lifting an SS. Find a silverado that's NOT an SS submodel, and lift away! If you have an SS and feel too "car-like" and too low to the ground, the answer isn't to lift your SS. The answer is you simply bought the wrong vehicle.

But, if you're just looking for a meatier tire, go for it!

Edited by MID12sSSS (see edit history)

I say buy my tires, rims, and shocks and tell us if you like it :D haha. But no I agree to an extent to these guys the SS is a super sport and meant to be fast and car like. But then again a 4x4 is meant to be big, and like off road, but lots of people lower them, me being one if them, I have a Z71 I'm lowering. And turning into a street/strip truck. To each there own. I don't see why a 2" lift, with a 33" tire. Would look bad on these trucks, and with the 6.0, these would run good. And look good with the bigger tires. Just my .02

I always had lifted trucks. In fact I was shopping for a big lifted truck when I found my SSS. I've never beens a fan of lowered trucks but I kept mine low and I'm wanting to go lower. She's just so mean sitting low and looking sexy.

ive never seen a car short of lifted hoopdies that had 32" tires on them... i dunno if id call the stockers "car tires" LOL. from the second post above, it sounds to me like you proved your own point... YOU bought the WRONG truck :banghead: from how you described it, i really think you purchased the wrong vehicle... it sounds like you want it to feel like a 2500 dodge truck on 35s. you can always lift the SS truck, but youd be killing your resale value and i dont think it will help you make too many friends in the sport truck community either... to each his own yes, but why modify a limited production sport truck to make it into a lifted "truck" truck truck? just get a "truck" truck truck and lift that. that way everybody wins!

:thumbs:

for example. i know what your saying, thats why we have an 05' Silverado 1500 on a 5" lift on 33" 20x12 billet wheels- if you want to drive something "higher" you can use that. you want to run 11s, tow 15,000 lbs, or haul more than a 2500 diesel than you take the SPORT truck SSS (yes it is clearly still a "truck" :lol: ) it will easily out tow or haul the lifted truck.

Edited by kelleyperformance (see edit history)

Yeah. I just mean with a heavily modified, Supercharged SS like the one Kelly is sporting. Would be funny as hell to see it 1up a diesel pulling a trailer. Wouldnt towing be hard as hell on your TC? I know a triple disc is better if you were to tow, but is it still recommended?

Edited by MID12sSSS (see edit history)

^^ That would be awesome! Hook up a 30ft camper trailer to an SS and be rippin down the highway at 70mph! Hahaha.

well then youd really like to look out my shop window right now, seeing as my SS is hooked up to a 32 ft. enclosed trailer with an 04 Cobra in it right now :D and yeah i didnt really notice anything behind me with 650 WHP and bags :lol: i honestly prefer towing with it then when i had an LMM Dmax, and it even ran 12s just no "lag" with a roots blower so towing is great.

Yeah. I just mean with a heavily modified, Supercharged SS like the one Kelly is sporting. Would be funny as hell to see it 1up a diesel pulling a trailer. Wouldnt towing be hard as hell on your TC? I know a triple disc is better if you were to tow, but is it still recommended?

its not hard on the TC unless you have a tiny little single disc that belongs in a car :lol: i have a 298mm triple disc PI 2400 in my SS, it does just fine towing. tranny never sees a degree over 180 no matter what i do to it. and some heavier cars in the trailer im in 2-3 psi of boost the entire time im driving on the highway :lol:

I'm not sure how true it is, but the shop that does my work told me that after a cam and stall I would lose some towing capacity.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

depends on the converter... not sure how a cam would do that tho :wtf: why would adding torque hurt anyones towing?? :lol:

people who tow should have no higher stall than say 2800 and should be a larger TC like OEM size or no smaller than 298mm... the TCC is the issue for towing, and heat if you have a stock trans cooler yes you will be in trouble. but thats what triple disc converters are for :) mine has more surface area than a stock truck TCC so towing is welcomed

Edited by kelleyperformance (see edit history)