Hydroboost helper

BLNAWAY

I agree. I did this before I did the Z06 conversion. Night and day difference. Made me wonder if I even needed to do the Z06 brakes but I had already bought the parts. I used the Ebay plate mentioned before. It was $20 and I though it would save me from having to change the pedal out. Nope, still had to change the pedal later but I did run the stock one for a week or two. The little 'key' in the Ebay plate had to be ground down to make it fit the hydro-booster. Looking back, the Ebay plate was not needed but I didn't have to drill me firewall since the Ebay plate lines up with the firewall bolt pattern perfectly. For me, not drilling the firewall was worth the $20 the plate cost. I still think I have some air in the power steering system because every once and awhile the pedal seems to go further down than normal but it isn't consistent.

Did you have to remove the power steering pump ?

I did, it wasn't difficult. there's three bolts in the font behind the power steering pulley and one bracket on the back that's bolted to the cylinder head I believe, and one line from the steering box and that's it. I've heard you can just remove the line that goes to the pump to the gear box from underneath but I swapped out my pump for a HD pump so I didn't even try.

Edited by SSSilverado33 (see edit history)

Did you have to remove the power steering pump ?

I did, it wasn't difficult. there's three bolts in the font behind the power steering pulley and one bracket on the back that's bolted to the cylinder head I believe, and one line from the steering box and that's it. I've heard you can just remove the line that goes to the pump to the gear box from underneath but I swapped out my pump for a HD pump so I didn't even try.

ya all the HD, Econline vans have interchangeable pump that will work in the link in the OP has a list of yr and models that we can use parts off... 5hr is about avg with pump replacement you could prolly get it done in 3-4hrs if you just spliced the lines

So if you splice the lines you don't got to pull the pump correct?

its nota must you can access the line from under the truck,but some guys have said it was easier to pull the pump based on their application. I.e. a lifted truck where has aftermarket bolt on suspension that would be in your way

Read step 7

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/general-discussion/performance/383761-hydroboost-conversion-how-pics.html

Edited by BLNAWAY (see edit history)

so if you T the low pressure line do you still need to buy all 3 of those lines or do you just need the one high pressure one from the pump to the hydrobooster ? sorry for all of the questions im trying to get all the parts lined up to do this.

Edited by idahoBLKss (see edit history)

so if you T the low pressure line do you still need to buy all 3 of those lines or do you just need the one high pressure one from the pump to the hydrobooster ? sorry for all of the questions im trying to get all the parts lined up to do this.

i belive you need 2 high pressure lines 1 from pump to booster and then from the booster to the gear box..... but depending on the booster you get it might come with the lines mine did

i found it more expensive, but less of a PITA to just get a hydroboost pump and the proper lines..

little hint....

if you get a hydroboost unit.. FIND OUT WHAT IT CAME OUT OF.. reason being.. the lines from a 2500 HD truck and a chevy express van are DIFFERENT and the TOP line on the hydroboost unit itself WONT install.. i found out the hard way.. there is a low pressure line that really just a formed rubber hose, that hose was like 60 bucks..

ok it costs more.. but i think doing it with the right pump is better.. other than cost, the only other downside, the hydroboost p.s. pump doesnt have that tab off the back that bolts it to the block.. making juggling the alternator bracket and the pump a pain... but you can install the pump in the bracket outside of the vehicle tho.

also DO NOT .. i repeat DO NOT buy a pump at autozone or advance.. buy it from a dealer!!!! the pumps from the other stores are horrible quality and break very very VERY easily. ask me why i know...