160 stat

SSoCal

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the stock clutch fan will run warmer since it is thermostaticly made to fully engage at higher temps. as for the programming, it's recomended but not required.

I have HPTuners but the stock fan. What would I need to reprogram, and to what parameter?

There really isn't anything to reprogram with the stock fan. The only pids that get touched with an efan are the aux fan on and off temps.

i recomend the one from SLP...

Zippy -

I just contacted SLP and they told me all their thermostats were Hypertechs....so why would these be any better than the Lingenfelter, or Thunder Racing stat? It seems they are all Hypertech... :confused:

Is there anyone else who manufacturers 160* thermostats?

Zippy -

I just contacted SLP and they told me all their thermostats were Hypertechs....so why would these be any better than the Lingenfelter, or Thunder Racing stat? It seems they are all Hypertech... :confused:

When I bought mine, I got the same info -- seems like they are all hypertech's. I don't know for sure, but it sure seemed that way to me.

Zippy -

Anyone?

There is an interesting article here... The last three pages up from the bottom.

It discusses the pros and cons of lower coolant temp.

Besides the fact that the article is an obvious plug for Vince Performance, I am intrigued by what it says. It says that running under 200 degrees Farenheit will cause you to 'lost life' on your motor. Does that sound right to you guys?

I've always heard that lower coolant temps will cause problems with oil evaporating off contaminants... I mentioned it on here a long while back and the thought seemed to have been shot down...

I do like the gains with lowering the temp, 20* or whatever there. That's pretty significant....

The oil contamination/burning off issue is debatable. The theory is that moisture can collect in the crankcase and react with additives in the oil forming a corrosive mixture. But...

Just because the coolant in your heads is around 180*F doesn't mean the oil is that cold. The vapor pressure of water is significantly higher than oil, and when exposed to the heat of cylinder walls, the water will evaporate first and be exhausted by the PCV system.

And, the frequency of oil changes plays a role here, too. Most performance-minded owners will change their oil more frequently, thus reducing the likelihood of such problems. Also, synthetic oils seem to be less susceptible to this problem IMO.

Running a 160 stat and Mobil 1, my oil looks nice and clean when I change it at about 3000mi intervals.

Archived