Turbo build/questions

Which turbo set up did you like more? Front or rear? For drive ability, ease of install, etc. like as a whole project, power, all of that which do you think was better? I think I'll stay with a rear mount. And if I want more power ill do a twin setup.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Which turbo set up did you like more? Front or rear? For drive ability, ease of install, etc. like as a whole project, power, all of that which do you think was better? I think I'll stay with a rear mount. And if I want more power ill do a twin setup.

I think the front mount is way easier to install. You have to do everything with a front mount that you would with a rear mount. Except, you don't have to have the scavenger pump to return the oil, and you don't have to run near the charge piping. I had the STS setup because I wanted a turbo, and I still had to pass emissions testing. The only way I could do that was with a rear mount setup. As soon as my area dropped the I/m testing, I ordered my front mount hot pipes. All I had to do to convert it over was throw away the oil pump and get a shorter oil supply line. Make a new oil return in my oil pan. Throw away the charge pipes from the rear up to the front right fender. And then move my charge pipes from the turbo to the inter cooler. Way easier setup. The only hard part of a from mount is the hot pipes. They cost a little more because they are hard to make,but it is worth just buying a setup.

Could you imagine running two sets of charge pipes up to your inter cooler for a twin setup? Or worse, trying to run 3" or bigger single charge pipe to carry enough of the pressure from two turbos?

Edited by Aksss (see edit history)

Ok one more question. I was under the assumption your waste gate hooked up to the turbo itself. Since I've never held a turbo before, but I've seen pics of one I noticed I between the compressor, turbine housing is a little hole. With 2 holes on the side for bolts. Matching most waste gates I've seen. But after doing more research on how a waste fare works, etc. I've read people put them on the mamifolds. Since I can't do that as I don't have intake manifolds, where do I mount my waste gate? Do I attach it to that part of the turbo, and then run a dump into my exhaust. Or can I just dump it next to exhaust. Without plumbing it into the exhaust? Like just let the air go into the air. Not into the exhaust, then into the air? Or does this not work? Thanks again. And if you have pictures, that is the BEST way I learn. By seeing/doing. And since I won't be doing for another month or so. Pictures are the best. Thanks.

It sounds like what you are describing the port for the oil supply to the center section of the turbo. You bolt on a special flange that takes like a #4 an line that will oil the turbo. Then run a minimum of a #8 if not a #10 on the return. The hardest part of positioning the turbo is that you have to have the center section clocked properly for oil drain.

Your wastegate has to bypass the turbo. Please don't take this wrong. You need to do a little more research on this before you jump right in. There is lots of pictures of STS setups on your style truck. I just searched for it on performance trucks.net and got pages of info. You might be time ahead to buy the down pipe setup from STS that has the built in flanges for the wastegate.

Here is a pic of the assembly on a truck.

post-16394-136116252811_thumb.jpg

This one has the waste gate vented to the atmosphere. You can also see how some of the charge pipes are routed. Up over the frame and up the side of the truck. Got this straight off of the sts website.

Oh no I know I need tons more research. Just researching one thing at a time to so I don't overload myself with info. Once I get each section. (Enough to do my setup) I move on to the next. My dads a master mechanic. And will be helping with the install if I need it. If like to do most of it on my own. But the oil system I'm going to ask for help. And ya I looked and saw TONS of info on that website. That info cleared up my routing problem. I was gonna try and stay on the INSIDE of the frame. Not the outside. But that picture clears up my waste gate problem thanks man. You have been a lot of help. Like really I truly appreciate it.

Edited by Silverado2469 (see edit history)

Good luck. I'm always more than happy to help. I'm surprised that no one else has pipes up and said anything extra. Chpspecial has WAY more knowledge about rear mount setups than I ever have. Anyways, I'm sure this forum can get you rolling!

Ya I'm pretty confident my setup will turn out good. A few hiccups is expected. And luckily I live like 30-40 minutes from blackbears dyno. Now do I need a different MAF? Or will our stock read up to 1 bar 14.7 psi? I'm only running 6-8 but invade I pump it up just curious.

With a boosted application I have been goin to speed density. So you just throw the maf away. I can't remember how high of boost the maf can read to, I think I is like 8 or 10 psi. But living that close to Justin's shop, I would be getting into contact with him now. Asking him about what injectors he likes to tune, what wideband he suggests and more. Talking to your tuner once or twice before your build will save you some headache down the road also. He may tell you to leave the maf since you are not going very high on the boost.

Ya I thought that would work great. I didn't know if the made one or not. Took me an entire day to find that one. But it's like 60$ euro. Pluse like 30$ euro shipping. I can make a down pipe way cheaper. But this looks pretty sweet. Ill keep looking. Hopefully I can find one. Or I can make one as well. 2 t4 flanges. With a square pipe and a waste gate flange welded to it. Sounds pretty easy.

That makes no sense on using it. Just cope the pipe for the waste gate and a hole in the hot pipe close to the flange and weld it up. Most waste gates come with a weld flange so its just a matter of locating where you want it and welding it up.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2