Turbo build/questions

Ok guys. So with my tax return I will be buying, rims, a 3/5 lower kit, and a new set of tires. I will also start my turbo build. I have a 2001 z71 rcsb. (Going for an SS look) anyways. Only looking to rub maybe 6-8 psi. To get around 375-400 rwhp. Going to be running a rear mount setup. I will be fabbing everything myself. Or my father will help. He's a real good fabricator. So far I'm looking at this a GT3582R. It's a ball bearing turbo. mumy7ame.jpg

a4a3ytyg.jpg

Most likely going with an eBay waste gate, blow off valve. And boost controller.

Not sure what fuel pump I should get. I've been reading on this, and think a walbro 255. Should be ok. What do you guys think?

Ill probably go to a junk yard and pull off some 8.1l injectors.

And then for the oil use a mocal differential cooler pump. Handles up to 300* oils. Pumps 1-2GPM which I think should be fine for the relatively small turbo I'm running.

I will either go to BBPERFORMANCE for a dyno tune. Or tune it myself with EFIlive. I'm not sure which yet. This is my DD so I don't want to run a crazy amount of boost. Like I said maybe 6-8 psi. I may even start out on 4. And slowly turn it up. Hopefully have the truck lowered, and turboed. In 2-3 months. Tops. This is my first turbo build. Or really my first build of anything from scratch. So any tips, tricks, suggestions, is gladly accepted. I don't know much about turbos. And what I've put together so far has just been me researching for the past month.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So I'm looking at what kind of piping I should use. I'm not using stainless. I live in California. I rarely see snow. So mild steel will most likely be what I use. But not sure what gauge to use. I figure the thicker the better. Is 16 gauge ok? Or should I use 14 gauge?

Ya I feel like the rear mou t turbo is a pretty easy setup. The main thing I'm concerned about is the oil getting to the turbo, I've read somewhere that if not done perfect it messes up the turbo, and with the turbo I'm looking at being water/oil cooled, how will that work? Should I look for a different non water cooled turbo? Any tips on the oil side of things? With the piping. I should only have cold side piping to plum if I'm thinking correctly. Since the exhaust is plumed already. I just put the turbo in between the y pipe, and muffler correct? So really shouldn't have anything on the hot side to really mess with, and I'm thinking with the cold side, I'm just going to follow the exhaust up to the headers. Then connect it to the intake Mani. I'm sure it's going to be a lot harder than I picture it in my head. But if everything goes right. I picture 2 tubes running side by side. (Exhaust, and cold side piping) turbo mounted just after the cab, since I'm a regular cab the distance won't be as far as if I was a 4 door. Or extended cab, so turbo lag should be cut down. But this oil thing is getting me a little worried, will I need a return pump as well, or just a pump to draw oil from the motor? Or should mount a 1L container under the bed to cycle oil to/from the turbo? I feel like that would be the best, oil lines would be half the distance, what do you guys think?

Ok been doing a TON of reading. So far this is what I've decided to do. (Still deciding on a turbo) but here's one of my choices. du6epu3u.jpg

a6ajaru6.jpg

The first turbo here is a little bigger. And should hit the 400 rwhp range easier. And still spool fairly quickly. The second turbo may hit 400. But I think it's a little small. But lag would be non existent behind the 5.3l.

As for the oil cooling. I'm going to run a stand alone unit. That I will most likely mount in the bed of my truck. Where I will drill to small holes to run a feed/return line. Run a pump for the return line of course. Right now I have 3" exhaust piping. I may go down to 2-1/4 or 2-1/2" to get the exhaust flowing faster and hopefully keep spool times down. Want to spool by 2500-3000. If not sooner. Depending on the turbo.

Comments, concerns, and pretty much any advice is welcomed. This is my first DIY kit. So please feel free to comment. Thanks guys.

My random tired head math says your looking for a stock turbo and if you want to minnimize lag a (bear with me) LLY or LBZ vgt would work then your gm to gm an can use duramax parts that will be cheaper and easier to find

Thats all probably wrong for size. This isn't thought talk to fleese performance they can hook you up and are fast spooling. Do you have the fuel and supporting mods to spin a turbo that size because thats big for my truck.

I thought diesel turbo's were not made for how a gas engine makes air. And so they wouldn't work as well as a turbo meant for gas engines? I could be wrong but I thought that's what it was.

And for 2 grand (about what there turbos are) I would just get a garret. This is my first turbo build. So I'm planning on going for an eBay turbo. Invade I made a math error and blow it up. Looking to spend 2k on the whole kit minus the tune. I'm sure they make great turbo's. but I'm not looking to spend that on a turbo.

These are my goals.

375-425 RWHP.

6-8 PSI.

2k max budget + tune.

Spool time around 2500-3000.

Spin the motor to about 6k

3:73 gears.

2800 stall.

This is what I have done so far,

Doug thorley mid length headers,

3" cat back exhaust.

My plan as in my head. Reduce exhaust to 2-1/2" or 2-1/4" to increase exhaust velocity. 14 gauge mild steel. Connect to turbo, 2-1/2" piping back to intake. Running it next to exhaust, and back up passenger side by the header, coming up and connecting to intake mani, exhaust coming from turbo coming out straight pipe no muffler in front of passenger rear tire, it will be a stand alone kit, and will have a 2 liter tank with a feed/return oil line. A mocal pump 1-2gpm capable of 300* liquids. 255lph fuel pump. 42. Or 60# injectors. 42 should be plenty. But close to maxed out. 60 would be ideal. No intercooler, although I may add one in later on when I change boost from 6-8 to 12-14 after I build the rear end and trans.

The only thing I'm having a hard time deciding is what turbo to run, I've never messed with turbos so its like a foreign language to me. I've been reading for at least a month on them, and I feel like I still don't know anything. The turbo size is my biggest concern, I don't want to go to small and over spin the turbo, or get to much back pressure. Over a 2:1 ratio. But I'm not sure how to calculate that, if I could fine a decent sized turbo I'd be happy and could start making the final plans to buy everything little by little.

Edited by Silverado2469 (see edit history)

To make this choice easy contact one of the turbo companies and ask them about sizing a rear mount for your needs. HP numbers don't mean shit. You have to look at the map for the turbo. My buddy has been running a rear mount and put down over 600 to the wheels a few months ago. He has now decided to switch to a front mount because it has to much lag and has had to many problems with oil pumps failing. He is running a tc72 with a .68 at exh.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

To make this choice easy contact one of the turbo companies and ask them about sizing a rear mount for your needs. HP numbers don't mean shit. You have to look at the map for the turbo. My buddy has been running a rear mount and put down over 600 to the wheels a few months ago. He has now decided to switch to a front mount because it has to much lag and has had to many problems with oil pumps failing. He is running a tc72 with a .68 at exh.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Perfect thank you. The tc72 was one of my choices. But I felt it was to big. I will contact a company about sizing. And get it over with hopefully. 600 rwhp is a lot that must be an awesome setup.