13" Brake upgrade for rear?

Hey everyone, I'm needing to do pads and rotors on my 03 awd and saw this post about upgrading to 13" equipment, however it does not mention anything about the rear. In searching the parts for the 07 tahoe i noticed that the rears only came with single piston calipers not the 2 piston like in the front or currently on my truck. My question is, are the front and rear calipers different in such a manner i couldn't just use the fronts on the rear as well? or does anyone know of another way of obtaining 2 piston calipers that would work with the 13" rotors in the rear? I was unsure if single piston would make a difference compared to dual piston or if there would also be fitment issues being a different design. http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/77193-13-front-brake-upgrade/

Thanks for any help.

The single piston will make a difference. I put them on my truck and could definitely notice them stopping me better. I believe most of the SUVs have the dual rear piston calipers.

you noticed a difference coming from drum though correct? I've got dual piston calipers on all corners and don't want to lose performance going to single

your 2003 should not have dual piston calipers on the rear. they should be single calipers with 12" rotors the front should be 12" rotors as well. 2005 they switched to the 13" rotors in the front and drums in the back. the tahoes have 13" rear disc with dual piston calipers. http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/78998-drum-to-disc-conversion/page__hl__%2Bdrum+%2Bto+%2Bdisc

that should clarify your questions as well as where to purchase parts and part #'s

well my calipers appear like dual piston calipers but i will double check, i didnt own the truck for the first 100k miles and the previous owner has painted the calipers so they may not be stock already

Edited by SilveradoSS2003 (see edit history)

All awd sss have dual piston rear calipers, with the larger 12.8 rear rotors, half ton trucks had the single piston, smaller rotor set up

Thanks, if they have 12.8 inch rotors than there is no point in making them 13" rotors lol

your 2003 should not have dual piston calipers on the rear. they should be single calipers with 12" rotors the front should be 12" rotors as well.

All SSS have dual piston front calipers from the factory.

our 2003 should not have dual piston calipers on the rear. they should be single calipers with 12" rotors the front should be 12" rotors as well.

All SSS have dual piston front calipers from the factory.

nothing stated about front calipers just rotor size. I was going off of the standard gm truck. I have drums and have looked into the swap and that is the best info I could come up with. I stand corrected

nothing stated about front calipers just rotor size. I was going off of the standard gm truck. I have drums and have looked into the swap and that is the best info I could come up with. I stand corrected

Agreed, nothing was asked of the front calipers, just rear.. not a big deal though, i'm just trying to get all my information together so i know which way i want to go. if they are 12.8 inch rotors then i have no reason to research a 13" Tahoe rotor anyways. Thanks for everyone's help though, It is appreciated

• 6 years later...