Staggered on a AWD SS will this be a issue?

EgoAlex1

Ive been selling rims an tires for 10 years. And on an AWD you will kill your tranfer case, front or rear diff, and hubs. It'll take some time but something will go! I run 275/55/20 and was gonna go 265/55/20 do to a miss order and my wholesaler told me it will hurt and even kill one of the 4!

Wait a minute... He told you that if you change all 4 tires to 265/55/20s That it'll F something up with your drivetrain?

Ahh haha..... Haha... Hahahahaha

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all about rolling radius! If the tires are out by 1/8th of an inch it can start causing problems to more its out the bigger the problem!

Dosent seem like much but it is!

If you truly believe this then you better go outside and check the psi in your tires and make sure they're EXACTLY the same or else your going to be off diameter. You could be off a hell of a lot more than 1/8 of a inch with a semi low pressured tire. Don't sweat the small stuff. Use common sense and everything will work out. There IS a tolerance, we aren't driving around with a tube of nitroglycerin under our trucks waiting to explode if our tires are off 1/10"

I'm pretty sure as long as all 4 tires are the same size being what ever they are 235 or 305 it's fine but not a 19" rim in the front with a 235 and a 20" in the rear with a 295. On an Awd. Rwd it don't matter.

If you truly believe this then you better go outside and check the psi in your tires and make sure they're EXACTLY the same or else your going to be off diameter. You could be off a hell of a lot more than 1/8 of a inch with a semi low pressured tire. Don't sweat the small stuff. Use common sense and everything will work out. There IS a tolerance, we aren't driving around with a tube of nitroglycerin under our trucks waiting to explode if our tires are off 1/10"

I know what your saying I wasent trying to put it as that way that it is a ticking time bomb but that's a true fact about AWD vehicles! They are more sensitive than most think. If you blow out one tire you shouldn't just replace that one due to the difference in overall circumference and Rollin radius! All four should be changed!

I know what your saying I wasent trying to put it as that way that it is a ticking time bomb but that's a true fact about AWD vehicles! They are more sensitive than most think. If you blow out one tire you shouldn't just replace that one due to the difference in overall circumference and Rollin radius! All four should be changed!

That I agree with you on. A tire can wear down quite a bit. But if I was going to change my tires and wanted a little more traction I wouldn't hesitate to go with NEW 305/50/20r (32.01" over all diameter) in the back and NEW 275/55/20r (31.91" over all diameter) in the front. Like I said, 1/10 of a inch could be as much as a slightly under inflated tire.

Actually I have a question about this now. Obviously you want rolling diameter as close add possible all around. But what about weights? Would a wider and thus Heavier wheel in the rear throw off the balance at all and create drive trunk problems? Since the wider wheels will be throwing more resistance at the system than the front, and take marginally more power to turn?

WOW!!!!!!! How about someone tell me why LAMBO's are AWD and have different width tires? Honestly man you CAN run different width tires as long as the overall height is the same. It won't cause any damage. Their is even about a 2-3% tolerance for differance in gears . You could get away with a 4:11 ration in the rear and run a 4:10 in the front. Will it cause long term issues? Possibly. As with any modification we do to our trucks. I think its a cool Idea and I know it will work.

I'm pretty sure the subey guys run wider wheels in the rear with big dishes. Like said above its all about rolling diameters. Weight, width, color whatever... Doesn't matter as long as its close. 32.01 and 31.91 I wouldn't worry it's only .3% different.

@

canadianVRss!

i was only changing 2 at a time due too having 1 to many toys and beening a full time single father. an i order the wrong 2 and was gonna mount them; then he stepped in an stop me. FYI change all 4 at a time or end up like mine blowin transfer case! Transfer case new from dealer $1700 but i got an account.so ima save unlike some others!