Staggered on a AWD SS will this be a issue?

EgoAlex1

I am in love with a set of bonspeed wheels and i wanted to know if it is possible for me to put them on my 03 ss awd

the back rim is 24X15 not sure what the front is but i think it will be around 8 to 10 wide what do u guys think can this be done ?

Thanks in advance

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are you asking if you can run wider tires and rims on the back? if so, i dont see that being a problem. but, if you are asking if you can run different diameter tires NO. overall diameter must be the same front and back or your t case will HATE you :uhoh:

are you asking if you can run wider tires and rims on the back? if so, i dont see that being a problem. but, if you are asking if you can run different diameter tires NO. overall diameter must be the same front and back or your t case will HATE you :uhoh:

OK thanks i do want to run the same tire diameter the rim will be widder in the back thats all.

Are you sure Paul.... Pretty sure it has to be the same dimensions on all 4 width included

Now why exactly would a wider tire in the rear mess with your drive train? Just because a tire is wider doesn't mean it will spin any extra revolutions as long as the diameter is the same front to back. Now if you wanted to push the "weight" argument that the rear tires would be heavier than the fronts therefore taking more jam to spin, I could kind of see that, but that seems shotty at best. If you have a 20" rim up front and a 22" rim in the rear with over all diameters of 30" (ex btw) then your t case should never know the difference. Does anyone know why it would? I'm eager to be proven wrong on this one because I'm very curious...

I am in love with a set of bonspeed wheels and i wanted to know if it is possible for me to put them on my 03 ss awd

the back rim is 24X15 not sure what the front is but i think it will be around 8 to 10 wide what do u guys think can this be done ?

Thanks in advance

I say scratch the whole idea because IMO 24 inch rims are way to big

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Width will male no difference at all. Diameter is the only thing you need to watch for. They'll need to be the EXACT same o.d. or you'll put the hump the tcase. Once the tcase is in hump mode, youll ruin the viscous coupler. So yes, you can run staggered as CanadianVRss said....

A 275/55r20 tire up front with a 305/50r20 in the rear would be sweet for the track, but I imagine it would push in the corners and make our trucks under steer problems even worse. Although if your going to run 305s in the rear I don't see why you wouldn't run them up front either. Unless they'll rub.... Now I'm just ranting. But the 275/55s are 31.91" total diameter and the 305/50s are 32.01" overall diameter, so a tenth of a inch bigger, that's 5 hundredths on each side. I bet the 275s don't even have production tolerances that tight. Rant over.

I doubt your gonna get the rears to fit inside the fender wells unless you do a tub, narrow the rear end and move the leafs to the inside or do a link.

The width of the tires doesn't have an effect on the transaxle. Just the height.

Don't pull the shaft!!!! :wacko:

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Edited by sinr98 (see edit history)

Ive been selling rims an tires for 10 years. And on an AWD you will kill your tranfer case, front or rear diff, and hubs. It'll take some time but something will go! I run 275/55/20 and was gonna go 265/55/20 do to a miss order and my wholesaler told me it will hurt and even kill one of the 4!