? about painting brake calipers

Downeast Johnny

Got my parts together to rebuild the brake system.

Want to paint all 4 calipers with the G2 paint.

G2 says one kit will do 4 calipers. Has this been true for you guys who have used their paint, and do you paint the entire caliper or just the face and part of the side that shows?

Are you painting the brackets, also? I am thinking about getting a black kit and doing the non wearing part of the disc's and the brackets in black.

Any tips and suggestions gladly accepted.

Thanks. :cheers:

i used the duplicolor kit and its enough paint to do all 4 calipers twice. i did the brackets and rotor parts black then just calipers red. they look the best that way. ill look for a pic

Thanks for the tip on Duplicolor. That looks like a better deal. $20.00 per kit at Amazon and free shipping if your order is over $25.00.

Thinking to get a red and a black kit.

Edited to add a link;

http://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-BCP400-Red-Brake-Caliper/dp/B000B6AF80/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353790255&sr=8-1&keywords=duplicolor+caliper+paint+kit

Edited by Downeast Johnny (see edit history)

I paint the entire caliper and bracket. I cant do anything unless its done right. before you paint them once they are off the truck, I take some heavy duty de greaser and a good wire brush and go to town to remove any brake dust etc that will show thru the paint. Then I get some heavy grit paper and go over the calipers and bracket real quick to make sure what ever the de greaser didnt get rid off the sand paper will. Remember to tape off parts of the caliper like the actual pistons and boots, pins, and where the brake line goes. I normally do several coats so it looks uniform and you dont see the color of the metal thru the paint.

I paint the entire caliper and bracket. I cant do anything unless its done right. before you paint them once they are off the truck, I take some heavy duty de greaser and a good wire brush and go to town to remove any brake dust etc that will show thru the paint. Then I get some heavy grit paper and go over the calipers and bracket real quick to make sure what ever the de greaser didnt get rid off the sand paper will. Remember to tape off parts of the caliper like the actual pistons and boots, pins, and where the brake line goes. I normally do several coats so it looks uniform and you dont see the color of the metal thru the paint.

Thanks for your tips B-346.

I bought new discs and calipers, (Going the over-sized route). Shouldn't have too much trouble with clean up.

Which paint system did you use?

I used the G2, and honestly, I think it will take 2 kits. I did not paint mybrackets, and it took almost all of it to do 2 good coats. Another issue with my experience, is it starts getting thick and setting up before i could have gotten all 4 done. I will say though, i have been very happy with mine. Great product. Holds up well and looks great. Good luck!

I used the G2, and honestly, I think it will take 2 kits. I did not paint mybrackets, and it took almost all of it to do 2 good coats. Another issue with my experience, is it starts getting thick and setting up before i could have gotten all 4 done. I will say though, i have been very happy with mine. Great product. Holds up well and looks great. Good luck!

Thanks for your input, Marty. Sounds like the G2 stuff could be the more expensive way to go. I'm leaning to the Duplicolor kit.

Thanks for your tips B-346.

I bought new discs and calipers, (Going the over-sized route). Shouldn't have too much trouble with clean up.

Which paint system did you use?

I used the Duplicolor Engine Enamel. I did that back in 2001 and the calipers still look like I just did them.