forged 370 or 408 stroker both for boost.

Ok here I am stuck on what i want to do. I have really been wanting to build a stout bottom end for the last year or so. heck at one time i even had everything to build a forged 370. i had callies h-beams, wiseco dished pistons with total seal rings and all the bearings and arp studs. then i couldn't make up my mind up and sold it all. Well here I am again not knowing what i want to do. either way the build will have to support boost. it will be turbocharged.

as a goal i'd really like to run low 11s on high boost at the track.. but for the streets a low 12 would do the job. I have ran a 12.5 on a stock 6.0 with 11lbs and a 65 wet shot. but i felt that was about the farthest i'd want to push a stock bottom end.

The turbo i have now will only support up to 750hp at the crank. i think with a 370 or 408 i would have to upgrade the turbo either way to meet my goal.

So do i build a forged 370 or a forged 408 stroker. only thing that has me holding back on a 408 is that some guys have claimed they tend to eat oil because the pistons are being pulled deeper out of the cylinders. Im also just planning on running a set of worked of 317 heads.

the cost difference of the rotating assembly to do a 408 vs a 370 is only about $800.00. so not bad for dang near 40 more cubic inch's.

I am no engine builder by any means and i don't want to be rebuilding a motor 1 year down the road do to poor choices i made during the build.

so let me have it guys. whats the pros and cons of each. Im not going bigger than a 408 either way. thanks for any help guys. As soon as i can make up my mind im ordering everything to complete this build.

im in the same exact boat with you!!! i have been back and forth on deciding, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go the 370 route it will get me to where i want and a bit cheaper. some guys on pt.net are pushing there factory cranks over 1000hp. There is also a debate on the quicker rev from the 370 helps with boost, but 1 psi on a 408 is more horsepower then 1 psi on a 370, the 1 psi has more power. I'm sure some one will chime in on ''there is no replacement for displacement'' lol but I've pretty much chosen the 370 route.

Honestly, I would go larger that way you have alot of other options down the road. Instead of taking what others say, talk to a engine builder, they will know the ins and outs of what is better for your goal. No one else is going to have the know how and experience other than a builder them self.

Go with BLOWN 346 idea. Definitely hit up your local engine builder or someone who knows these strokers. Texas speed or leading edge. Me personally I would opp for the 408 mainly due to our weight of these trucks. More cubic inches give extra room for power potential. The 370 will work harder to get those times vs. the 408. Therefore making the 408 that much more reliable. Less lift (valvetrain wear and tear) etc.... Again just my logic of thinking.

the problem with where i live is turbo's on LS are almost unheard of. I live in montana so everybody is still in the days of old skool carbed sbc and bbc. I sent my block to a builder here in town 2 years ago and it was the first LS motor he had ever touched and in the end it turned out with the wrong rods and pistons. :( it was a freaking mess. so i just want the machine work done and i will be putting everything else together myself. i will also be ordereding all my own parts. my block is already bored .030 so its ready for either and 370 or a 408. if i go with the 408 i just need the block done for the stroker crank.

Talk to Zippy and he will say 408 all day long. I would probably say the same that way you have tons of torque and plenty of power while you are waiting for your turbo to spool. You might want to consider buying a whole short block from a builder like AES or Texas Speed. It might cost you a little more in the begining but will pay it's self off since you don't have to worry about ordering all the part separately and they put it together for you.

well i havent done it yet myself nor do i have any experience but i think im going to go the 408 route. why ? because your going to have the motor out anyway and going to be building it anyway so whats another 800-1000 bucks to get that much more hp/tq although i think the 370 will get the job done but why the heck not just do a 408! plus you can say you got a stroker in there! lol . ps i think zippy is building short blocks also you should hit him up .

yeah I have thought about getting a create engine from a builder. really the price difference between the 370 and 408 is only about $225.00 one of the the biggest reasons i don't want to do a 408 is because id have to get a bigger turbo right away. but i guess its only a turbo.

• 2 weeks later...

You won't need a bigger turbo out of the box if you step up on cubes. If you build the 408 right you will gain quite a bit of low end with torque and you will make up the high end gains even more so with the boost. A great misconception with turbos or any forced induction is you need to overdo it on your turbo. That turbo will support you to run 10's with a properly done 408 which yep between myself and zippy there are things going on. Hopefully soon things will be made public. However you will really love the torque you gain with the stroker and the nice part about it is when done right she will drive like a stock truck just with tons of torque on the backside that you never had before. Nominal price difference sure. But when all is said and done even if you go with a callies/callies rotator or a scat or eagle trying to keep the budget down you are still only going to be a few hundred bucks more out of the gate than you would be re tolerancing balancing and polishing your stock crank. I went to a compression stroker and never went back to boost. I have been debating adding boost to it but who knows.

You can hit up me or Zippy if you have questions I would love to help ya out Distance isn't an issue either one of my best customers is under pressure down in New orleans.

You won't need a bigger turbo out of the box if you step up on cubes. If you build the 408 right you will gain quite a bit of low end with torque and you will make up the high end gains even more so with the boost. A great misconception with turbos or any forced induction is you need to overdo it on your turbo. That turbo will support you to run 10's with a properly done 408 which yep between myself and zippy there are things going on. Hopefully soon things will be made public. However you will really love the torque you gain with the stroker and the nice part about it is when done right she will drive like a stock truck just with tons of torque on the backside that you never had before. Nominal price difference sure. But when all is said and done even if you go with a callies/callies rotator or a scat or eagle trying to keep the budget down you are still only going to be a few hundred bucks more out of the gate than you would be re tolerancing balancing and polishing your stock crank. I went to a compression stroker and never went back to boost. I have been debating adding boost to it but who knows.

You can hit up me or Zippy if you have questions I would love to help ya out Distance isn't an issue either one of my best customers is under pressure down in New orleans.

so is that whats going on, you and zippy teaming up? i know zippy is moving to vegas and your in vegas ...1+1=2 ?