Clean your SSS

gmJake

As many of you know, my SSS is down because of oil leaks on the turbos. I found the easiest way to get to the oil lines was to remove the inner fender wells.

It's easy. Remove a few plastic tabs and it came right out. What i didn't expect was to see this.

2012-10-13_17-20-21_238.jpg

Dirt packed in on the lower part of the fender under the inner fender well. My truck lives in snow country. I never expected to see that so take some time, pull the wheels and inner fender well and clean it.

I understand that. When I did rage my SS in the snow 05-07 I washed it down immediately when returning and wow, loads of sand in the most unexpected areas (for me at least) and the recieving areas (rear shackles, rear bumper, rear quarter panels etc). I remember washing my truck 3 hours after a bachelor party and started cleaning in my garage at 4am....No more does the SS see the snow. Leave it to the BMW generic.

Edited by 03mass (see edit history)

I understand that. When I did rage my SS in the snow 05-07 I washed it down immediately when returning and wow, loads of sand in the most unexpected areas (for me at least) and the recieving areas (rear shackles, rear bumper, rear quarter panels etc). I remember washing my truck 3 hours after a bachelor party and started cleaning in my garage at 4am....No more does the SS see the snow. Leave it to the BMW generic.

Rich bastard

Thanks for the kick in the a$$ to get me going, Jake.

I've wondered how nasty those areas were getting but been too lazy to check them out. My drivers side fender well has a hole punched in it from something and I've been stressing over how big a pain it's going to be to get it out and replaced.

Thanks for the kick in the a$$ to get me going, Jake.

I've wondered how nasty those areas were getting but been too lazy to check them out. My drivers side fender well has a hole punched in it from something and I've been stressing over how big a pain it's going to be to get it out and replaced.

It's really easy to do. I was shocked when i saw it.

Yea, I plan on pulling the fenders this week and cleaning/undercoating there. I am driving it this winter so prep is important

Rich bastard

Just because he has a BMW doesn't mean he is rich; I have an 01 3 series I bought for 5k

You can or not under coat. I had my old truck under coated when I bought it new. It didnt do anything, just a waste of over a grand. My new truck now isnt undercoated nor my wifes, and they are both fine, and easier to care for and clean.... As long as you keep it clean, and wash it once a week during winter you will never have a problem.

Edited by Blown 346 (see edit history)

You can or not under coat. I had my old truck under coated when I bought it new. It didnt do anything, just a waste of over a grand. My new truck now isnt undercoated nor my wifes, and they are both fine, and easier to care for and clean.... As long as you keep it clean, and wash it once a week during winter you will never have a problem.

What i meant was the rubberized spray on undercoating.

Me too. It sucks and doesnt hold up for crap. I will never use it or pay to have it done ever again. As long as you keep the underside and wheel wells clean you will have no problems. I havent with any vehicle I have had, my one car is 12 years old, no undercoating and not a spot of rust.