Sign in to follow this  
SmalltownSS

Tru Cool Max cooler

Seems that everyone on here goes with the tru cool max 40k, is that necessary for these transmissions or would one of the smaller ones work (30k or 24k). Also with the large surface area wouldn't the tru cool block the airflow to the condenser and radiator has anyone mounted one behind the air scoop in the front bumper? Also when installed have you guys kept the fluid running through the transmission cooler portion of the radiator or used it as a stand alone cooler. (no transmission failure with debris to worry about int rad cooler) I was thinking if it doesn't increase the line pressure too much it would be great to have it in the radiator to bring the temps closer to operating in the winter.

Thanks!

Just pull your old, small trans cooler and replace it with the true cool. Get the bypass if you want to run your truck in winter with it. You may as well get the true cool max instead of a smaller cooler... You'll be better off in the long run. Especially if your going to run a stall.

I'm going to say the true cool is a over kill for most. If your not running a high stall i don't think you really need it. I'm running a 4500 stall and in the worst heat around here i got the trans to 172....once.

I am not running the bypass so in 40 degree weather i had to put plexy glass over the grill to block air coming in. WIthout blocking it i couldn't get over 100 degree temps, with blocking almost all the air in cold weather it will go to 150 and hold there.

I do have the cooler front and center on the truck and have not had any problems with the truck running hot or the ac not being cold, with either the stock fan or a e fan kit.

However if a 3800-4500 stall is in your future, i would not run anything else....because it works so darn good. A smaller one might work, but this does the job with a couple of quirks i can work around.

I ran the internal cooler for a while and the tru cool and it was about the same. Since i sent my converters guts into the internal cooler, i no longer use that one, or the tru cool i was running at that time