changing gear ratio

i was just wondering if anybody has changed their gear ratio from 373 to 410. how much difference is it on acceleration and mpg and how much did you pay for your ring and to get it installed, and if you did it your self is it hard.

I havent done this as I have 4:10 gears from the factory. But You have to make sure they are installed properly and shimmed right. FYI, after a gear install you should have no whine, if you do its not installed right. You will lose MPG and lose top end top speed, but you will gain better acceleration.

Normally around by me a ring and pinion swap is roughly 4 to 600 on a avergae basis.

Edited by Blown 346 (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

You will really be happy with your choice if you go to a 4.10 gear. Even with the stock tire height the 3.73 isn't enough gear. I've worked on a few 2wd SSS's that have had a gear change and it is a good gain all the way around. Milage in the city will be roughly the same and on the highway you'll notice only a small change in mileage. On a 2wd SSS it's about one of the best mods to start with.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the 4:56 conversion and love it. Need to make sure that they are properly installed because of very tight clearences. In town youll notice higher rpms but not much mph change. Highway will notice more mph change. To me its all about getting out of the hole with this heavier extended cab AWD truck compared to Lightnings and RCSRT's.

I'm running 4.56 gears now and a 28" tire. In better quality air i have not been able to beat my time set with the 4.10 gears. And my motor is built for high rpm use where most will not take it to. On the highway I'm now running 26-2700 at 70 mph. My 60 foot times are about even but i have yet to 60 foot as good as the 4.10 gears, granted i am spinning just a little. My best 60 with my current set up and 4.10 gears is 1.69x, the best with the 4.56 gears is 1.72x. My mph at the end of the track is 106.xx with the 4.10s and 105.48 with the 4.56s. The best ET with the 4.10's was 12.41 at around 500 da and the 4.56 gears was 12.55 at around -75 da. As of right now I'm not set that the 4.56 gear change is the answer, especially for a motor that makes power at lower rpms. possibly it may be better if you maintain the stock tire size, but the stock tire size also weighs more then the short and narrow tires I'm running.

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

I'm running 4.56 gears now and a 28" tire. In better quality air i have not been able to beat my time set with the 4.10 gears. And my motor is built for high rpm use where most will not take it to. On the highway I'm now running 26-2700 at 70 mph. My 60 foot times are about even but i have yet to 60 foot as good as the 4.10 gears, granted i am spinning just a little. My best 60 with my current set up and 4.10 gears is 1.69x, the best with the 4.56 gears is 1.72x. My mph at the end of the track is 106.xx with the 4.10s and 105.48 with the 4.56s. The best ET with the 4.10's was 12.41 at around 500 da and the 4.56 gears was 12.55 at around -75 da. As of right now I'm not set that the 4.56 gear change is the answer, especially for a motor that makes power at lower rpms. possibly it may be better if you maintain the stock tire size, but the stock tire size also weighs more then the short and narrow tires I'm running.

I agree to disagree. Yes gear change may not be the answer for smaller narrower tires just like you did say you had slight wheel spin which in running 1/4 miles tenths of a second will contribute to lose times especially 60' times. With 4:56 gears your 60' times should be faster than with 4:10 if you had proper traction. As far as end results in the 1/4 it is a toss up on how you have built the engine rather than gear ratio. Gear ratio is one of two things. Your whole shot with smaller gears or top speed with larger gears. The 4:10 is a great in the middle gear for this AWD platform. I personally find my hole shots and 60' times better with my 4:56 gears but it starts running out of legs at 105mph but got there faster and still burys the needle at 120. Bottom line is Traction is key to determine your gears. Big tires and more weight smaller gears. small tires and lighter weight mods larger gears.

forget the track Which gears give better day to day driving. I am thinking 4.56 are better for everything under normal city and highway driving. 85+ I don't care all that much anyways. I am not racing anyone or anything. Spending a few bucks on mods beats starting a new car payment.

awd 4.56 look legit

2wd 4.56 look like a burnout machine 4.10 prob a little better

Edited by evand (see edit history)