Best LQ9 mods?

Alright guys...here within the next few years, my dad and I will be dropping an LQ9 w/ 4l60e (or 4L80e if i find one) in my RCSB once we find one. When we do find one, it will be on an engine stand until my 4.8 gets tired. So my plans are to mod the living s*** out of it before I put it in. So just to be head of the game and prepared for what i plan to do, what are the best mods to do to it to get lots of HP?

Note: This motor WILL be supercharged and 408 stroked so base your mods around that if it even matters.

What are the best brand/high HP/reliable superchargers out there?

What are the best combinations of mods?

ALL OPINIONS ARE WELCOME! :cool::thumbsup:

Thanks for all your info guys!

-Thomas

well, i wouldnt put the procharger on stock cubes.. others may differ in opinion, but..

build the 408 with forged internals.

make sure you use the proper tool, and not feeler guages, to put the oil pump on.. if not, ive seen many fail at 5000 miles because its not centered properly.

make a GOOD investment in a really well done set of heads.. trickflow, wcch, etc

long tube headers, and a catback system

if you wanna tweak a tad more hp, a meziere water pump maybe.

some day ls6 valley cover

fast RT intake, 60lb injectors 102mm throttlebody

that would be a nice build for sure.

I agree with the statement above. I have always been a fan of Magnacharger.

So... I would add a TVS 2300 and a good blower cam. Thunder racing make s a good one that I'm using with my blown 383 stroker build. Also with a 408 and F/I you'll need to dump the 60e and an 80e is a must. The 60 just wont handle the abuse.

I see the good builders using lifter tray mods and older style steam ports on the heads to keep hot spots off #7...I know there are other LSx specific building tips

This is what I'll be using to keep the hot spots off #7.

http://www.kurturbanperformance.com/ls-water-vapor-system.html

Edited by Silverado777 (see edit history)

This is what I'll be using to keep the hot spots off #7.

http://www.kurturban...por-system.html

Why spend all that $$$ and clutter the underhood even more?

I use the factory hard line that feeds the back 2 cylinders as well.You can find them on Vette's,some F Bodys,and some trucks(rare from what ive seen,was shocked when i found 1 on a 5.3).Just be warned,the 1's for cars are going to hit the back of the alternator bracket and will need some "tweaking"!

And 4l60/65's will hold up ok if theyre built up by a compentent builder.Look at Krambo's truck(10 sec 1/4 miles) and thats with N2O which causes a HUGE tq spike on the initial hit.My Escalade with a built 408 and a small shot of nitrous has a built 4l65 and its holding up nicely as well!!

Why spend all that $$$ and clutter the underhood even more?

I use the factory hard line that feeds the back 2 cylinders as well.You can find them on Vette's,some F Bodys,and some trucks(rare from what ive seen,was shocked when i found 1 on a 5.3).Just be warned,the 1's for cars are going to hit the back of the alternator bracket and will need some "tweaking"!

And 4l60/65's will hold up ok if theyre built up by a compentent builder.Look at Krambo's truck(10 sec 1/4 miles) and thats with N2O which causes a HUGE tq spike on the initial hit.My Escalade with a built 408 and a small shot of nitrous has a built 4l65 and its holding up nicely as well!!

Because I have a blower which doesn't sit the same as a regular intake manifold. I already needed the front crossover tube from Magnacharger which was going to cost me $80+ anyways. It doesn't clutter under the hood any more than a nitrous system does. Plus Kurt Urban is very well respected in the LS world and to spend an extra $120 for added protection and piece of mind is worth it in my book.

And yes there are a very select handful of 60/65's that have been able to handle that kind of power. However, I have heard way to many horror stories of even built 60/65's blowing up, with my story being one of them. My truck has been down more than it has been up because of the transmission issues of my fully BUILT transmission that was built by a reputable builder. The transmission has been in and out more than I can count. Do it once, do it right and go with a 80. Their survival rate is 10 times greater than a 60. If people want to take a chance on a ticking time bomb like a 60 then have at it, but I'm not willing to take that chance anymore.

Edited by Silverado777 (see edit history)

UPDATE: keep in mind guys, this WON'T be a track/quarter mile truck. I'm keeping it a regular driver ha not really a DD, but I'd like to be able to take it out without a whole bunch of maintenance. Lol

What is the best route to go for bolt-on mods?

Because I have a blower which doesn't sit the same as a regular intake manifold. I already needed the front crossover tube from Magnacharger which was going to cost me $80+ anyways. It doesn't clutter under the hood any more than a nitrous system does. Plus Kurt Urban is very well respected in the LS world and to spend an extra $120 for added protection and piece of mind is worth it in my book.

And yes there are a very select handful of 60/65's that have been able to handle that kind of power. However, I have heard way to many horror stories of even built 60/65's blowing up, with my story being one of them. My truck has been down more than it has been up because of the transmission issues of my fully BUILT transmission that was built by a reputable builder. The transmission has been in and out more than I can count. Do it once, do it right and go with a 80. Their survival rate is 10 times greater than a 60. If people want to take a chance on a ticking time bomb like a 60 then have at it, but I'm not willing to take that chance anymore.

As for the crossover,thats fine if you cant clear bcause of a supercharger....id make my own b4 id spend that much $$ tho.Just looks added on and tacky to me!

As for the transmission....You never saw me say the 4l80 wasnt tougher BUT EVEN BUILT 4l80's shit the bed occasionally.Theyre basically a th400 with overdrive so Billy Bob's Trans Shop can likely build 1 and have no problems!!A 4l60/65 is a unique beast and requires some1 with knowledge to build one tp hold HP.And for the ticking time bomb comment,I could say the same about superchargers vs turbo's,race gas vs pump gas,mail order tunes vs live,and on and on and on....

As for the crossover,thats fine if you cant clear bcause of a supercharger....id make my own b4 id spend that much $$ tho.Just looks added on and tacky to me!

As for the transmission....You never saw me say the 4l80 wasnt tougher BUT EVEN BUILT 4l80's shit the bed occasionally.Theyre basically a th400 with overdrive so Billy Bob's Trans Shop can likely build 1 and have no problems!!A 4l60/65 is a unique beast and requires some1 with knowledge to build one tp hold HP.And for the ticking time bomb comment,I could say the same about superchargers vs turbo's,race gas vs pump gas,mail order tunes vs live,and on and on and on....

OK well seems like you have a comment for everything I say. So....glad you were able to get your opinion out there. I only hope no one reads this post and tries to go with a 60/65 with a blown stroker motor.....and when it blows says "well....that guy on on that one forum said it would hold." Lets just be honest....some will hold the power....most will not.

OK well seems like you have a comment for everything I say. So....glad you were able to get your opinion out there. I only hope no one reads this post and tries to go with a 60/65 with a blown stroker motor.....and when it blows says "well....that guy on on that one forum said it would hold." Lets just be honest....some will hold the power....most will not.

i was about to look into getting some upgrades for my 60..lol..looks like i should start savin for the 80 before my 60 shits the bed which might be very soon the way this thing shifts when I'm on it...besides the tranny how much would i be looking at more or less for a 80 swap???

UPDATE: keep in mind guys, this WON'T be a track/quarter mile truck. I'm keeping it a regular driver ha not really a DD, but I'd like to be able to take it out without a whole bunch of maintenance. Lol

What is the best route to go for bolt-on mods?

bolt on mods on a s/c'd 408? typically people "bolt on" then get the bug and work up to a f/i punched and stroked motor.

biggest thing is to make sure that engine can breath...inhale and exhale. the more efficiently your engine can move air, the more power it will make.

always a good ref for mods: http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/38271-before-you-post-read-this/ . that thread has dyno results, it had plenty of quality discussions about every mod for these trucks. professional and independent testing and results, successful and failed mods. be patient and read all discussions and follow links, you'll be happy you did and you'll be able to make your own informed decision on the final direction you want to go with your truck and make it one of a kind. hope this helps. :thumbs:

i was about to look into getting some upgrades for my 60..lol..looks like i should start savin for the 80 before my 60 shits the bed which might be very soon the way this thing shifts when I'm on it...besides the tranny how much would i be looking at more or less for a 80 swap???

I'm at about $1700 for the 80 and the conversion kit from PATC. I still have to get the driveshaft modified but I'm sure that wont cost more than a couple hundred. So all in all up under 2k for the swap. Keep in mind it will probably be a little more expensive since you are AWD.