13" Front Brake Upgrade

BlueAKSSS

I am a bit late to the brake upgrade party, having only recently passed the 100k mile mark on my 03 SS, and started to need new brakes. Here is the recipe I used:

Stoptech drilled/slotted rotors. I liked these because they have a coating on the not friction areas that keep them from rusting, so they stay nice looking. The drilled/slotted feature is mostly for looks, but you got to admit, it does look good ;)

Fronts (07 Tahoe):

127.66045R

127.66045L

Rears (stock)

12766057R

12766057L

PowerStop Calipers Red Powder Coated. Liked the powder coating aspect. A durable finish that will endure.

Front PWR S4918

Rear PWR S4764

Centric Ceramic Posi Quiet Pads. Heard lots of good things about Centric from mechanics, so I went with them.

Front 105.10920

Rear 105.08340

New brake hoses, "stainless steel" hoses from a local vendor, since my early 03 won't work with the available Earls kit.

The larger front rotors sure look a lot more competent !

Front:

IMG_5853.jpg

Rear:

IMG_5854.jpg

Yeah, it needs a good washing now :)

Edited by dcairns (see edit history)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks really good , can't wait to do this upgrade bc these trucks don't stop worth a sh*t and the brake pedal feel is scary at times. Where do you find the Silverado SS decals on the calipers?

Thanks, the brake setup is still working great and the caliper paint is still holding up as well along with 3 out of 4 decals. One of my rear calipers failed earlier this week and I had to replace it, so I lost the caliper decal. The decals I got where from idahoBLKss.

Edited by Matt* (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Think I'm goin with Chromebrakes blue rotors, undecided on caliper color but leaning towards black or silver.

If I go out side the box.....garden hose green to match my pin stripe. Truck is 2 tone silver over blue.

What do you guys think?

http://chromebrakes.com/ProductDetail.aspx?C=1&y=2007&m=CHEVROLET&mod=TAHOE%20[4WD]&ID=5&P=12066057&Loc=Front

• 2 weeks later...

Are you using the same brake flex hose from the Silverado ss? when doing the upgrade.

Yes just reuse your factory brake hose to the caliper if that is what your refering to or swap to aftermarket stainless lines. I kept the original brake hoses and with just the caliper upgrade it feels much less spongy than before and the braking is more accurate in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Rotors & cali's installed but had the wrong lines. My pedal is somewhat soft until about 1/2 way down so have to rebleed. Gonna order another set of lines and go at it again.

Did the T-case with the blue stuff, and rears with Royal Purple syn, you guys add the GM posi additive?

RP bottle says for posi, but?

Trans will be next

Edited by Mrrat1SS (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

So is it confirmed that the Tahoe cal/bracket is different than the SS one? I was thinking of doing the SSBC 14" rotors with Tahoe cals, but if the cal bracket is different, than this will not work. I wanted to get newer cals since I got over 200k on this SS

This is about the same setup I had put in aother post asking about, looks really good!

My question now is if the kit can be bought that I was looking at that came with rears as well, since it is about $100 cheaper to buy it that way?