AWD 4l80e conversion

Guys is it wierd that my cel never came on

Well not that this helps much but everytime my trans has went my CEL never came on. When 2 of the 3 trannys failed I had. To be towed home truck wouldn't move. At that point u think the light would have came on but never did.

Well not that this helps much but everytime my trans has went my CEL never came on. When 2 of the 3 trannys failed I had. To be towed home truck wouldn't move. At that point u think the light would have came on but never did.

One outa three here. Component slip was the one that did it.

Sent from my 4G Razor

Try using the "Quote" button so we can all read who you are talking about so we can eat popcorn and wait for a Newb ass chewing..... That is all

Continue!

This good enough for ya....bro. Been a member for a long time..... Have yourself a great weekend.

• 1 month later...

Ur ask for my horsepower opinion and im not gonna give it. Its a 60 E and it is what it is. Ignorence puts a horsepower rating on it. And this isnt old news. Its not intended for abuse....period. Our trucks make the situation worse due to the weight. Its a crap shoot. Some have the luck and some dont. Everyones truck is different and intended uses for them. Dependimg on the plans for the truck will depend on what unit u go with. Unless u have been through a unit and undsratand it then u cant suggest or give tech help. Untill then keep ur stock unit factory and keep ur " facts" from " GM techs" to urself.

And to answer your question direct, no I have not "blown" my tranny twice. I have spun two foward sprags which I dont consider blowing it up.

Yeah keep providing your little to no experience with transmissions to others. Do everyone a favor and stay active in plasti dip threads not transmission or performance threads.

I%2BLOVE%2BTHIS%2BPOST%2B.%2BFresh%2BOJ...%2BI%2Bmean%2BOC_c051f3_3308213.jpg

How did i miss this thread :lol:

Here is my .02 or maybe .03 lol! The check engine light is only designed to come on for an emissions type failure. In other words, anything that can affect emissions (missfire, sensor like the tp or maf, etc). Depending on how severe the trans problem is, you may or may not get a CEL.

As far as the trans debate----oh that's a good one and I pretty much echo everything "everyone" here has said. It really comes down to realistic goals and usage. I've know a guy right now that just got a vortech put on his fox mustang. Real low boost deal (1993 car with 302) I want to say 6-8 psi. He had a local guy tune it and I believe they ended up at 23 or 24 degrees of timing. Car made 425 at the wheels IIRC. This guy has tuned tons of vehicles for literally decades and is known for conservative (SAFE) tunes. The guy had him remove 4 or 5 degrees of timing and ended up with a smudge under 400 hp at the wheels. He is that conservative and is totally happy with the end result even though the car was safe before (hundreds of customers with similar/same combos running around with no problems).

Ok, this is the type of guy that would have no problem with a properly built (for the intended levels/weight) 4L65-e. He drives fairly normal most of the time and gets on it every once in a while. Maybe a trip to the track every year or so.

Take someone like me who starts out with a goal of high 12's (and then proceeds to work down to low 12's instead!) and now wants 11's if not faster.........Should have done the 4L80e and never looked back. I'm ok at my level and the way I drive 80% of the time, but where I want to go is going to push this trans too far imo. I don't think I will break hard parts, but I do think the 3/4 clutch (among other items) will become a maintenance item that I'm not willing to maintain.......

I have too much money in my trans (billet output and input and wide sprag from RPM trans) plus all of the other mods known to man done by a reputable local shop. I wouldn't have just any shop attempt this type of build. Would probably order an FLT if I didn't know him already. I probably made 50-70 passes last fall/early spring this year and over 35,000 miles (daily driver) and it is doing just fine. We had the pan off recently and everything looked great! That being said, I don't beat the living hell out of it every day or it probably wouldn't last like it has/is. Also, tune can have a big impact on whether or not it lives. Just too much to go wrong when you're pushing it to its limits. It can be a done to a point quite well, but is it worth it..................Depends on that person---only they know. Good luck!