AWD 4l80e conversion

you sir are correct. but at the same time why would i spend that kind of coin on a trans i cant trust. yes i have had bad luck with the 4l60 and im tried of replacing them. so i figured id try my luck with a stock 4l80 transmission and so far so good. i have done a lot of boost launch's with this stock 4l80 and it has taken the abuse and kept on going. No im not saying the 4l80 is gold and wont blow up because at some point it will. but so far im completely happy with it. its quite sad i had less than $2500 into this swap and its still going strong and i spent $1200 on a Circle D 4l80 converter so that was half my swap. i had spent 3k for a level 3 trans and it didnt last a summer and that happened twice with a built 4l60. Im not saying go out and do the 4l80 swap. im just saying look at you options. i dont want him to go down the path i did with my trans problems. i have over 9k into swapping trannys over the last few years and i do all my on labor.

yeah i know what you mean, and thats a hell of a price! every shop i talk to doesn't know how to do it or wants 6grand to do it... yeah I'm not trying to talk him out of the 4l80e or the FLT lvl7 just opening up options lol

wtf are you talking about? he was running the level 3 from flt. His tranny wasn't strong enough for his mods. he never ran the lvl7 ''jussss saying''

wtf are you talking about? he was running the level 3 from flt. His tranny wasn't strong enough for his mods. he never ran the lvl7 ''jussss saying''

Ooo boy. He went fm a hardend input shaft and sleeved input drum from what he had. Man ur bullet proof. Keep forum racing man, ull be someone somday....

Edited by 2BFAST (see edit history)

i agree with shawnss and 2bfast 110% while a 80e isnt for everybody but if you plan on stomping the pedal from a roll or out of the hole with more then 400+ whp your 4l60 is just a ticking time bomb i dont care what "level" you have. the 60e is a POS trans and should of never been in our trucks in the first place let alone a supercharged or modded truck.i have done more then i can count 200+ WOT pulls from a dig and from a 30mph roll and my 80e is stock with a hd2 shift kit . im make well over 600hp and often stomp the pedal around corners getting the truck into a sideways awd burrn out when i want a lil rush every now and then.. i would like to see a level 7 60e do 5 30mph drops with 600+hp going to it and stomp it around a corner a couple times and see if it still spins lol .

U have obviously never made enough power to justify this comment. Jusss saying. Forum modding isnt cool. Jussssssss sayin

I don't really want to be involved in these 60 vs 80 conversations any more, but since you brought that up......

Have i made enough power to give my opinion?

i agree with shawnss and 2bfast 110% while a 80e isnt for everybody but if you plan on stomping the pedal from a roll or out of the hole with more then 400+ whp your 4l60 is just a ticking time bomb i dont care what "level" you have. the 60e is a POS trans and should of never been in our trucks in the first place let alone a supercharged or modded truck.i have done more then i can count 200+ WOT pulls from a dig and from a 30mph roll and my 80e is stock with a hd2 shift kit . im make well over 600hp and often stomp the pedal around corners getting the truck into a sideways awd burrn out when i want a lil rush every now and then.. i would like to see a level 7 60e do 5 30mph drops with 600+hp going to it and stomp it around a corner a couple times and see if it still spins lol .

I'm going to guess i have a lot more passes on my trans then you, and down shifts, and dyno time. I'm not making 600 at the wheels, but i am 504 at the rears and doing it on 4500 rpm launches. Truck for truck, meaning the same truck with a 60 and the same truck with an 80, a 60 will out run it everytime just due to losses and 60 foot times(as long as your not spinning). If you don't trust me, ask kevin how his 4500 stalled level 7 is doing in his 10 second truck.

I certainly don't want to piss you off nor get on your bad side. I have every respect for you and what you have done with that truck, but.....a comment like that gets under my skin a little, because i will do anything to avoid using an 80 in my truck.

I will give you that a 80 is a safer bet for some one not looking at performance. Its much more of a "get it and forget about it" trans, and at a power level(not sure what) it is almost required.

Thats my small opionion, which we all have....

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

This debate can go on and on forever. You can search the internet for 60E vs 80E conversations and you will have reading material for weeks. Its a crap shoot. Some have good luck with them, and some cant keep one in long enough before they even go through the first tank of gas. Dont get me wrong, FLT does make great units as proven with you Brad and Kevins truck. But FLT units do break as well. Hell 80's break too, you just wont see it near as often. The "get it and forget it" comment is true as well as the identical trucks side by side one with a 60 and one with an 80. But if your making enough power to overcome that perisitic loss its not that much to debate over.

Its a toss up if one can get a 60 to last in these heavy trucks, but I would def take my chances at trying to overcome the parasitic loss and extra weight for the piece of mind.

damn! 4500 on a 60e!!! nice

this is not uncommon

This debate can go on and on forever. You can search the internet for 60E vs 80E conversations and you will have reading material for weeks. Its a crap shoot. Some have good luck with them, and some cant keep one in long enough before they even go through the first tank of gas. Dont get me wrong, FLT does make great units as proven with you Brad and Kevins truck. But FLT units do break as well. Hell 80's break too, you just wont see it near as often. The "get it and forget it" comment is true as well as the identical trucks side by side one with a 60 and one with an 80. But if your making enough power to overcome that perisitic loss its not that much to debate over.

Its a toss up if one can get a 60 to last in these heavy trucks, but I would def take my chances at trying to overcome the parasitic loss and extra weight for the piece of mind.

this is not uncommon

in a awd 500 horse power to the wheels it is.

in a awd 500 horse power to the wheels it is.

500 hp is a decent amount of power. but the thing i see with a lot of guys is they build something to handle the power that they think they will be happy with. then after that power isn't enough they go and start adding more performance parts to make there vehicle run even better. then you run into the problem of parts not being strong enough again. im a prime example of this at first i told myself if i can get my truck into the mid 13s id be happy. well i ran 13.53 a few times and wanted more. so i added more boost and a little shot and ran a 12.5. i was happy with a 12.5 for a little while. now im hunting for more and just had a block machined to build a stronger motor. so Im now in the mind set of build everything as strong as i can make it and go from there. of corse i cant build everything with the best parts because real life stuff gets in the way and living comes first then toys. if this 80 goes i will be buying a full on built 80 as far as i can take it with all the goodies. heck look at mighty mouse boost TA he ran around for a long time on a stocker 80 and made tons of 8 second passes on that trans.

I don't really want to be involved in these 60 vs 80 conversations any more, but since you brought that up......

Have i made enough power to give my opinion?

I'm going to guess i have a lot more passes on my trans then you, and down shifts, and dyno time. I'm not making 600 at the wheels, but i am 504 at the rears and doing it on 4500 rpm launches. Truck for truck, meaning the same truck with a 60 and the same truck with an 80, a 60 will out run it everytime just due to losses and 60 foot times(as long as your not spinning). If you don't trust me, ask kevin how his 4500 stalled level 7 is doing in his 10 second truck.

I certainly don't want to piss you off nor get on your bad side. I have every respect for you and what you have done with that truck, but.....a comment like that gets under my skin a little, because i will do anything to avoid using an 80 in my truck.

I will give you that a 80 is a safer bet for some one not looking at performance. Its much more of a "get it and forget about it" trans, and at a power level(not sure what) it is almost required.

Thats my small opionion, which we all have....

you wont piss me off every body has a opinion and i respect what you have to say you been in the game for a long time and know what your talking about. with that said you and kevin have indeed put some power through a 60e but you both also tune and monitor your own builds and know what your doing.your average joe on here does not. the average joe on here will blast through a couple 60's b4 they realize that maybe they should of done a 80 in the first place. like brian for example he just replaced his trans did all of the work him self so he knows it got done right but every time he smashes that peddle he knows it could be the last time he does with that trans.and poor zach just went through his second built trans and is now switching to a 80e .when my 60e let go i almost got the level 7 trans but i saw to many people wasting through them and going on there 2nd and 3rd 60 so i decided to go 80e and im glad i did. yeah the stock first gear was hard to get use to at first but after getting the power levels up a lil bit and getting the tuned dialed in i would never want a 60e first gear again. dont know if you know but they do make a first gear mod for the 80's if your that worried about it that put it pretty close to the 60's . all in all i would never recommend anything that would most likely to fail on somebody or recommend anything i was not completely satisfied with.