AWD 4l80e conversion

hey guys i really need all the part numbers for a 4l80e conversion i dont know where to start and really need to get the truck back up and running before august(my only ride to school) so if any one knows what part numbers or has a link to them i would greatly appreciate it. i was going to go with a built 60e but from what i hear i might as well do it right the first time lol. thanks and any suggestions on how or if even needed to beef it up im only pushing close to 500hp so dont need nothing too crazy

Crossmember custom from yours or buy one, wiring harness, front drive shaft from 2500, have the rear drive shaft cut, 4x4 4l80e 99+ preferably, and output adapter. I think that's all. There are no part numbers really but I could be wrong, good luck.

If your only pushing around 500hp I would personally go with a built tranny. I dont know the cost comparisons to a FLT Level 5/6 that will hold your power to the price of a 4L80e swap but I would just stick with the built 65e. My dealership and some numerous Chevy techs I spoke to said the tranny can hold just under 500hp but will obviously break down before if it was a stock 345hp engine. Unless you plan on going a good amount (700hp+) of more hp then I would do the 4L80e. JMO. Good luck with the new tranny though.

The one thing is I personally cannot stand about the 4L80e is having more gears. I like having 4. I drove a nnbs on the highway and the thing kept shifting up and down, stayed at a constant speed but it would just shift randomly, got on my nerves real quick.

Edited by 03mass (see edit history)

The one thing is I personally cannot stand about the 4L80e is having more gears. I like having 4. I drove a nnbs on the highway and the thing kept shifting up and down, stayed at a constant speed but it would just shift randomly, got on my nerves real quick.

4l80e has 4 gears, 6l80e has 6

4l80e has a taller first gear than the 4l65e

Our computers can't control a 6l80e I don't think they're compatible

for me the 4l80 swap was the best choice. I had a few built 4l60s and IMO they are junk. i personally wouldn't waste my time with a 60 again. i know there are tons of guy's who have great luck with them. but also look how many threads pop up with guys having issue with 4l60s failing. i have had great luck with my junkyard 4l80. plus if this one goes i can have it built and im only out $400 that i have into the junk yard 80.

If you are going to attempt at giving "tech" help at least know what your talking about.

The 4 means it's a 4 speed. In this case an automatic, with the 4th gear being overdrive. The L is for longitudinal, as in for use in a rear or sometimes a 4 wheel drive vehicle. The 80 part is a model designation, which doesn't really mean anything in particular, although the 80 is more HD than the 60 version, because it's based on the old 3 speed TH400. The E at the end shows it's electronically controlled. Also TH for the old TH400 or 350 means Turbo Hydramatic. Which I can get into why they call them "turbo" if you would like as well......

Edited by 2BFAST (see edit history)

My bad, yes I was wrong. Thank you for the corrections. When test driving the new Denali I thought the transmission was similar to the 4L80e, just beefed up more than 03-07 classics. But yes I completely missed the number 6.

And thank you Asset for being polite. Sarcasm doesnt get members anywhere on here.

2BFast so whats your input on his situation. You've blown your tranny once or twice right? How much hp are you without hitting the Nitrous vs how much with Nitrous?

Edited by 03mass (see edit history)

for me the 4l80 swap was the best choice. I had a few built 4l60s and IMO they are junk. i personally wouldn't waste my time with a 60 again. i know there are tons of guy's who have great luck with them. but also look how many threads pop up with guys having issue with 4l60s failing. i have had great luck with my junkyard 4l80. plus if this one goes i can have it built and im only out $400 that i have into the junk yard 80.

you've never used the level 5-7 from FTL though... jusss saying.

how much did your swap end up costing you? if ya don't mind me asking?

2BFast so whats your input on his situation. You've blown your tranny once or twice right? How much hp are you without hitting the Nitrous vs how much with Nitrous?

Ur ask for my horsepower opinion and im not gonna give it. Its a 60 E and it is what it is. Ignorence puts a horsepower rating on it. And this isnt old news. Its not intended for abuse....period. Our trucks make the situation worse due to the weight. Its a crap shoot. Some have the luck and some dont. Everyones truck is different and intended uses for them. Dependimg on the plans for the truck will depend on what unit u go with. Unless u have been through a unit and undsratand it then u cant suggest or give tech help. Untill then keep ur stock unit factory and keep ur " facts" from " GM techs" to urself.

And to answer your question direct, no I have not "blown" my tranny twice. I have spun two foward sprags which I dont consider blowing it up.

Edited by 2BFAST (see edit history)

how much did your swap end up costing you? if ya don't mind me asking?

you sir are correct. but at the same time why would i spend that kind of coin on a trans i cant trust. yes i have had bad luck with the 4l60 and im tried of replacing them. so i figured id try my luck with a stock 4l80 transmission and so far so good. i have done a lot of boost launch's with this stock 4l80 and it has taken the abuse and kept on going. No im not saying the 4l80 is gold and wont blow up because at some point it will. but so far im completely happy with it. its quite sad i had less than $2500 into this swap and its still going strong and i spent $1200 on a Circle D 4l80 converter so that was half my swap. i had spent 3k for a level 3 trans and it didnt last a summer and that happened twice with a built 4l60. Im not saying go out and do the 4l80 swap. im just saying look at you options. i dont want him to go down the path i did with my trans problems. i have over 9k into swapping trannys over the last few years and i do all my on labor.

Edited by shawnss (see edit history)

U have obviously never made enough power to justify this comment. Jusss saying. Forum modding isnt cool. Jussssssss sayin

wtf are you talking about? he was running the level 3 from flt. His tranny wasn't strong enough for his mods. he never ran the lvl7 ''jussss saying'' Edited by Silverad0 SS (see edit history)