2/4 Drop

dwalk

cfe0a8ea-3951-c904.jpgcfe0a8ea-3968-ecb5.jpg

So I have a 3/4 drop on my SS and I want to make my back drop one more inch. I have shackles and hangers on it... 2" on each to give it a 4" drop. Do they make shackles or hangers for our trucks that are 3" inches each? Or is there a better way to drop my back end one more inch?

The helper leaf or "overload leaf spring" is the smallest of your leaf springs. There are 3. All different sizes. If you jack it up and remove the tension from it you can remove that shortest/smallest leaf closes to ground. It'll drop you down another 1" and it's a free drop you can do at home. But, it may give you a looser feel and softer ride and it lessens your towing capacity, by how much I'm not sure. So if you tow or load your bed it's best to then do a flip kit but keep in mind going lower than 4" in back, a C-notch will be recommended. See in the pic, it's the 3rd one down, the shortest one:

c-notch.jpg

Edited by Bad Ass Silvy (see edit history)

Ooh ok. Awesome thanks for the info man. I look into it.

Sure, there's a few of us SoCalers that have done that without any bad effect. I did it but it was too low for me cuz I have a 305 tire so it rubbed. So I had to put it back in.

Damn Im going to do this now lol Look like ill be a 3/5 by this weekend!!!!! Yeah a C-Notch may be needed but what happens if you dont notch it? It would just ride rough over bumbs right? I dont mind driving slow especially over bumbs. I think im going to do it without notching it. So does it just slide out like you say, there has to be more than that to it.

Yeah you just bottom out the frame on the axle. But guys remember this is the poor man's drop. It can create axle wrap. Axle wrap is unwanted suspension movement that allows the pinion angle to change that results from the hop that causes drivelines to bind and breaks yokes, drive shafts and sometimes even pinions. So be careful. Flip kit is the tasteful way to go. I'm just the type that puts all the options out there so the guy can make the best decision for himself. You need to release the tension by jacking it up on the frame not the diff. or axles. Place jack stands to frame. Once it's in the air there is a little u-bolt/joint that holds the leaf pack together and in place. Loosen screws bolts. Then I took a sledge and the biggest flathead screwdriver I had and popped out the helper leaf. Re-tighten the u-bolt on the leaf pack and there you go....But now since less pressure back there when you launch the rear may dip down harder and farther thus causing axle wrap. That's breakage time. This is of course only possible.

Edited by Bad Ass Silvy (see edit history)

Yeah I might just go with a flip kit. So If I did that would I have to take the drop shackles and hangers off in the back and put the stock ones back on or keep them on AND and install the flip kit?