What Amp For Skar Audio Vvx-8?

Bought a sub for my Silverado SS because the factory Bose system wasn't doing it for me. Anyway I went with an 8 because this is my daily driver and I just want it to sound good. I'm already to that age where loud and annoying isn't that cool anymore and hearing sheet metal vibrate and rattling bolts loose isn't appealing anymore. Have heard tons of good on this sub also so figured I'd try it out. So anyway what amp can anyone recommend? Trying to keep it less than $120. Also want something that's not all full of lights and stuff. Just something real stealth I can put under the seat. I don't want to add any more subs either.

Anyway this will be going into a sealed box with .97 cu. ft. air space I found on Ebay. Cheaper than anywhere else and looks to be good quality. http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-SILVER...b63008&vxp=mtr

Here is the sub and it's specs, got the dual 2 ohm. http://www.skaraudio.com/index.php/products/vvx-8.html

It will not push enough power to the sub. RE makes good stuff, but not for your application. Not having enough can actually damage ur sub.

if this looks funny, it was sent using tapatalk

He told me since it's a dual 2 ohm that would be best as far as price and what I want. And if it were a 4 ohm a mono block amp would be best.

I would go with that US Amp/Resonant Engineering amp that the above poster posted. They make some quality things. If you do get that amp just bridge the amp and series the subwoofer and you should be perfect. I would never go with a JVC amp. No offense but they are a cheap solution and do not put out what they say all the time. Just my .02 cents

Something out of the Rockford Fosgate lines of amps is always a good choice also.

Edit:

It will not push enough power to the sub. RE makes good stuff, but not for your application. Not having enough can actually damage ur sub.

if this looks funny, it was sent using tapatalk

This is a myth. You by all means will never hurt your subwoofer by under powering it. If that was the case I would have dead speakers from not having gain or volume turned all the way up.

Edited by cb2big4u (see edit history)

Lol so from the few responses I'm getting the RE one will be it for what I want and for the price it will work fine? I was just under the impression all subs had to be ran off a monoblock.

- Not all subwoofer amps are monoblock. Like the one you have posted. (Technically you will be running mono though) The main things to look for are the class that the amp is (in your case that amp is a Class D). Meaning it IS a subwoofer amp. If you were to try and use this amp for your highs it prob wouldnt sound to good only because Class D amps are not that great with sound quality but are very efficient. Being that your powering a subwoofer the sound quality issue isnt a big deal.

- What impedence is it stable at, ◦Bridged, 4 ohms: 400 watts x 1 chan. is the one you posted. You pretty much have to match this to your subwoofer. If you have a dual voice coil subwoofer @ 2ohms then you can either series the sub and make it a 4ohm sub or you can parallel the sub making it a 1ohm sub. In your case you will be wanting to series the subwoofer.Wiring Wizard this link will help you understand what I am talking about. Select how many speakers you have (1), then select what the speaker is in regards to voice coil and impendence (2x2ohms), and it will show you how to wire your subwoofer.

- Another thing to take into consideration is the Crossover. In the case of the amp you have selected it has a Subsonic filter and a Low Pass filter. You will want to set your switch to LPF and adjust your LPF, Bass EQ, and Sub Sonic Filter to suite your needs.

These are the main things to look for, a few other technical things also that I wont get into but in your case is not needed. I hope your happy with your choice. For the price I dont know of anything else I can think of to beat that. Hope this helps. Any other questions I would be happy to answer them for you.

P.S. Resonant Engineering is a great manufactuer. They were a lot better before they merged with US Amps but they still are awesome. The designer of the well known RE XXX beast subwoofer has moved over to FI and once I get my set up going it will be FI BTLs and Rockford Fosgate Power amps. $$$$ though.

• 6 years later...