Guineag60'S H/C Build

guineag60

Well all the parts have been rolling in everyday now! My SSS is my daily driver/ Toy. It will see a lot of Strip time this year. Very excited about how much this will wake up the truck. This is my first truck/ auto trans and american made car at that. Previous cars have been a slue of VW corrado's G60, turbo, and 3.0l VR's and some 93 300ZX twin turbo's running low 12's at 115. Sold my ZX for a house and told the fiance I needed a truck for the home once we moved in :pepsicheer: She had no idea it was a toy.

On to the ENGINE BUILD.

Flowtech Induction custom Tigershark cam 232/236 113lsa .600/.600 spec'd by Ed Curtis,

Lunati Severe Duty Dual Valve Springs - Max Lift .660"

Lunati Hardened & Machined Spring Locators

Lunati Seven Degree Chromemoly Retainers

Lunati Hardened Seven Degree Valve Locks

LS7 lifters

799's sent to Flowtech for cnc work, 2.02/1.60 valves (not sure on the mill spec yet)

LS2 chain

Stock LQ9 head gaskets

OBX Long tubes (no cats)

SLP 160 t-stat

NGK TR5

Ford 42lb injectors

Racetronics adapter harnesses

TRANS BUILD:

Circle-D 245mm 4C multi disc 3600 stall

Transgo HD2 kit

Jet Perf billet 2nd servo

Jet Perf bilet 4th servo

Hayden 679 trans cooler

Royal Purple max atf

I will be installing the tranny parts on saturday. The long tubes should be here tomorrow, and the heads are 4 weeks out. The SS will be tuned by Slowhawk Performance. I am looking in to getting a tbss intake in the next couple weeks. Getting very excited to finish it :driving:

Edited by guineag60 (see edit history)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The OBX's fit good the driver side front o2 locations were junk. both pointed directly into the front D/S. I cut the o2 bung out of the stock exhaust and burned it into a new spot before the front "cat". I made some brackets to install the larger Hayden trans cooler. Both of the servos came with the same seals for the 2nd and 4th. Was not able to install them because i did not have the teflon seals.

• 3 weeks later...

This thing should scream. I see 12's in your future easy. Where do you plan on shifting? Thats one hell of a cam. I'd love to go for a ride in it with that converter too. I just put a TB converter in mine for the time being while I get my tranny situation figured out.

I'm curious to see how the tranny holds up. I had planned on an 80e swap in mine.

• 3 months later...

I got my 799's back from Ed Curtis at Flowtech Induction. These things look awsome. Im gonna start to do the head/cam swap on friday night and should be finished saturday morning. Trying to schedule a tune with Slowhawk now. Cant wait Im pretty excited for this.

038-1.jpg

039-1.jpg

041-1.jpg

047-1.jpg

046-1.jpg

045.jpg

042-1.jpg

sounds like a nice build. I hope you can dyno it and report the results.

I think your going to need more converter to really 60 foot with that cam.

What compression? SCR and DCR?

Did you get a flow sheet with the heads?

What intake and TB are you running now?

Why did you choose link bar lifters?

What head gasket?

What is your target shift point?

Im going to be running the factory intake and T/B for now (saving for a lsxrt & NW 102 dbw) and I never went with the link bar lifters after all. My funds have drastically diminished. Im running new stock LQ9 head gaskets. I havent thought of shift points yet but ball park im guessing some were between 6 to 6800 rpm. The cams powerband was from 2800 to 6500rpm. Its gonna depend on what Don at slowhawk suggests unless you can give me some advise or a suggestion. Im not sure what the compression ratio is going to be exactly. The heads were milled just for flatness. I thinks stock 799's are 64cc? so maybe 10.7 -10.9ish to 1? The SSS is still my DD so i didnt want to go nuts with the build but i didnt want it to be a just a quick truck. Im hoping for high 12's low 13's. Prob wont be close until i get the intake and really beef up the tranny.

I dont have a flow sheet now but this is what FTI's website has posted in their head section

AVERAGE FLOW NUMBERS - 4.030 test bore - no pipe

Lift - Intake - Exhaust

.100 --- 71 --- 57

.200 -- 137 -- 106

.300 -- 203 -- 145

.400 -- 252 -- 190

.500 -- 285 -- 203

.550 -- 300 -- 206

.600 -- 305 -- 210

Edited by guineag60 (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

So everything is installed. I had a issue with the cam timing. I kept coming up with 8* advanced when degreeing it, so i got a Rollmaster timing set. Ended up being the lifters getting caught up in the trays. The cam is at 2* advanced now. Started it up and it was misfiring. I never checked the 1st plug i put in the tip and electrode were touching. Car still misfired found my #4 cyl plug shit out. I had the back 2 wires wrapped with heat wrap because of the OBX's. Got new wires and tr6's. Car runs good and sounds awsome. I will have pics and idle clips up soon.

What are the guys with OBX's doing with there back 2 plug wires. wraping the headers, wires, longer wires? Let me know