What's the diff between LQ4 and LQ9 heads?

Might be able to get a great deal on a set of GTP stage III LQ4 heads with Comp 921 springs... They've been freshened by Eastside.

My big question is what's the difference between LQ4 and LQ9? I understand that they drop the compression ratio, but has anyone put them on an LQ9? F-body folks use LQ4 heads to make 9.5:1?

Might be able to get a great deal on a set of GTP stage III LQ4 heads with Comp 921 springs... They've been freshened by Eastside.

My big question is what's the difference between LQ4 and LQ9? I understand that they drop the compression ratio, but has anyone put them on an LQ9? F-body folks use LQ4 heads to make 9.5:1?

The chamber CC's are the same in both heads, the compression differences are in the piston design. These are the same heads with the same casting number, same valves, same port sizes, same springs, same everything. The LQ4 and LQ9 heads are the same.

Butch 02 Sierra Denali

Can't trust me on this one? :uhoh:

I'm sorry if I offended your manhood, Ben. :P I was simply stating that Richard had done a lot of investigation work on the #317 or whatever casting. I know what made the compression ratio different between the lq4 and lq9 motors. That's not what he asked, was it :uhoh:

I'm sorry if I offended your manhood, Ben. :P I was simply stating that Richard had done a lot of investigation work on the #317 or whatever casting. I know what made the compression ratio different between the lq4 and lq9 motors. That's not what he asked, was it :uhoh:

I was merely adding on to other posts, not answering.

I don't think you could ever offend my per se, unless you spoke negative of the Military - not that I think your capable of doing so.

I'm sorry if I offended your manhood, Ben.  :P  I was simply stating that Richard had done a lot of investigation work on the #317 or whatever casting.  I know what made the compression ratio different between the lq4 and lq9 motors.  That's not what he asked, was it  :uhoh:

I was merely adding on to other posts, not answering.

I don't think you could ever offend my per se, unless you spoke negative of the Military - not that I think your capable of doing so.

Nope, That I won't do. :flag:

DONT GET ME STARTED. ;)

Heads are the same. Casting # 317 comes on the LQ9 trucks and the LQ4 trucks. As Ben said, the difference in the motors is the dished pistons in the LQ4.

There are some 035 castings around, but I've never seen one come from the factory on a production LQ9 truck or escalade. Partiot cylinder heads bought a BUNCH of 035 heads for porting. I think they came bare (no valves or springs) and may have been produced by GM for replacement purposes.

I'll give you guys permission to trust Ben on this one. :D

Sorry to burst your bubble Ben, but I think the gas fumes are getting to you. The military ain't a glorious thing, and I speak from my own experience. I suppose you are one of those smucks that got sucked in young and was too dumb to leave. I can almost see it now. A little Soldier boy that thinks he is a "real man", but I would beg to differ.

Archived