Awd To 2Wd, Easy Beans

Hi Guys

Denali owner here!

I see that many of you ask the question about converting to 2WD, as well as the dreaded frequent front axle failure, like our members do with Denali's in the GMT 800 Platform 99-06

I recently converted my 05 Yukon Denali from full time 68/32 Alll Wheel Drive to selectable 2WD / part time 4WD with a interchangeable transfer case

Since we both use all mechanical cases, with no electrical control, you can probably? do the same conversion with no major reconstructing of mounts, housing, shafts etc.

My YD used the Borg Warner 4481. The Sierra Denalis use the 149 like yours. The NVG 261 which is avaialble with different builds, was very close in mount spec and only required, a front shaft interchange

My 4481 case lenght [ front face to rear output seal] is 19.5" as was the 261

The 4481 from the input face to the front output face, was 3.5" in parrallelizm, the 261 was 4.5" and required a 1" longer drive shaft

The input shaft is 27 spline, output is 32 and female front output on the 4481 and 261 LD [the 261 HD uses 32/32]

So by swappng in a 261LD, making up some very easy shift lever brackets, converting my front axle to 4x4 actuated, I am now enjoying full 2WD and if I ever need 4WD, within a minute I can obtain "Part Time" 4WD

[issue for you would be if you can swap in the right axle housing/shaft/gears on the 410, OR just pull you inner half shafts, leaving your cup/spindle in the hub.]

It is a little more realistic swap, as you keep your tranny, don't have to remount, still get 4WD and can pop back factory components to retain trucks value

If anyone has a 149 on the floor, a couple of quick measurments will determine if feasible for your trucks as well

btw, before you ask, I run 99.8% on pavment/hwy and suffered the repeated front axle failure to the point I had enough

The only downfall.. it requires a crawl under and mechanical shifting.

Currently seeing about 2 mpg gains in both city/hwy

Be glad to post up details if it has potential for you

Ricky

Edited by Ricky (see edit history)

If anyone has time, crawl under and measure the front shaft >> weld to weld [on center]

Does anyone know what the rear spline count is?

Here's a quick pic of the shift bracket, very easy to make up, I welded mine but could be done by drilling and bolting

It also allows, "neutral" if you ever have to be towed

post-23965-076575200 1331762940_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Sounds like a plan, AWD dyno's are a lot harder to find and the ONE here is $155.00 an hour, hence why I don.t have #s yet. Any details would be great. Also, is a 261LD a 261LD? Would one out of a 02 Silvy work? Is yours a 2.72 ratio?