My Painted Side Mirrors

SSilverBeast

Here is my painted mirrors that i did and how it was done....

Pics of the mirrors on the truck will be soon.

I used:

Rubbing Alcohol

Rust-oleum Plastic Primer

Dupli-Color Perfect Match Fine Silver Birch

Dupli-Color Perfect Match Clear Coat

TAPE OFF THE MIRROR PART

First wipe the whole mirror down with rubbing alcohol to get all wax, oils, bugs, dirt, finger prints, etc. off.

Then apply thin, even coats of the plastic primer to the mirror until it is enough primer to cover the textured black. (it should be a smooth, even finish with no "runs")

Let dry for about an hour or so until dry to touch but still has enough "tack" for the paint to stick.

Then apply light, even layers of the color you want. About 2-3 good coats BE SURE IT DOES NOT RUN OR IT WILL LOOK LIKE CRAP!!

Let dry for about an hour or so until dry to touch but still has enough "tack" for the clear to stick.

Then last, add your clear coat. ABout 3-4 good coats for a great shine and protection.

Here is the finished product...

I hope this helped any of you who want to do the same!

If there are any questions, just post a comment!

PS: This project was no more than $25!

thanks!

-Thomas

Edited by SSilverBeast (see edit history)

Looks pretty good, what about when you fold them though? Did u get in the cracks?

Yeah that part takes time, once it all dries...fold them, and spray what got missed.

Interesting .........

Sent from my Touchpad using Tapatalk

Is this a good comment or a bad one? Lol

Yeah that part takes time, once it all dries...fold them, and spray what got missed.

Wow, cheap and they look good. On the folding part, do you do all the steps, then fold them and then do that part or 1 step, fold and paint, unfold through all the steps?

Wow, cheap and they look good. On the folding part, do you do all the steps, then fold them and then do that part or 1 step, fold and paint, unfold through all the steps?

If im understanding you correctly...you want to do what I did first. This let it dry completely. Then fold them to where you see whatever was missed, then tape it off (so no primer overspray gets on the new paint) , prime it, spray it, and clear it. Then let it dry EXTREMELY well before folding them back to normal.

So if I understand this correctly. First you paint the mirror going through all the steps. Then let dry and fold it and paint the unpainted parts. Or do you prime let dry fold and prime, paint let dry fold and clear let dry fold clear?

So if I understand this correctly. First you paint the mirror going through all the steps. Then let dry and fold it and paint the unpainted parts. Or do you prime let dry fold and prime, paint let dry fold and clear let dry fold clear?

It doesn't really matter how you go about it. As long as you let which ever one you started with first, dry completely before moving to the next spot.

i want to paint mine too also my doorhandles.. i just bought my truck n it came with like chromish handles do i paint over them or can i take it off a certain way?

Are they the handles with the chrome pull bar handle? I have those on my truck if you look at my pics. Are those the ones you are talking about?