GM pulls C6 add

m396 #00-011

GM pulls 'Jack Flash' Corvette commercial after protest

DETROIT -- Protests from seven safety groups prompted General Motors to pull a TV commercial that shows a young boy driving a Corvette so recklessly that it goes airborne, GM officials said Wednesday.

The ad, featuring the Rolling Stones song "Jumpin' Jack Flash," has aired repeatedly during the Olympics. The groups, including Consumers Union and the Center for Auto Safety, complained that it was "the most dangerous" spot they have seen in recent years.

Directed by singer Madonna's husband Guy Ritchie, the spot shows a boy's daydream of racing the Chevrolet Corvette through downtown streets and through a construction pipe. The safety groups said in a letter to GM released on Wednesday that the spot could encourage children to take their parents' cars for a drive.

"This ad is certainly among the most dangerous, anti-safety messages to be aired on national television in recent years," the safety groups said in a joint letter sent to GM CEO Rick Wagoner. "It is doubtful that General Motors would condone the beer industry showing a "dream sequence" of 10-year-old children having an afterschool "kegger," the letter said.

The commercial does include a warning that drivers should operate the vehicle safely and must have a license, but the automaker decided to stop airing the spot, GM spokesman Joe Jacuzzi said Wednesday.

"We decided to pull it due to responses and feedback we received," Jacuzzi said. "It's a big ad, and it's been airing for a while, but we've got a whole campaign."

The Corvette ad is one of many spots GM prepared for the Summer Olympics. GM is the largest TV advertiser during the Summer Games, spending 10 times more during the Aug. 13-29 Olympics than it typically spends during a comparable period.

The seven groups who signed the letter include Consumers Union, Public Citizen, Center for Auto Safety, Consumer Federation of America and Advocates for Highway and Auto Safety.

Groups also have protested controversial ads or marketing campaigns from other automakers in recent years.

Ford Motor Co. was targeted when an ad showing a cat poking its head through the sunroof of the SportKa, only to be decapitated when the roof closes, found its way onto the Internet. But that spot, which Ford said it never authorized and never aired, is still shown on the Internet, where it has created a buzz.

The Chrysler group pulled its sponsorship of the Lingerie Bowl, which featured models in scantly clad outfits playing football and aired during halftime of the Super Bowl in February.

:fume: YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!! :fume:

It seems that most of these so called "consumer groups" have forgottent that this AMERICA and part of what makes us so great is that you can have an opinion, philosophy, religion, or whatever (in this case advertisement) and shout it from the rooftops if you want without having to worry about being persecuted for it! Next thing you know kids won't be able to have R/C cars as toys because that will premote "reckless driving" . . . . Kids are going to daydream about driving without the help of a commercial. I know I had many a daydream about joyriding my dads TransAM when I was a kid, it doesn't mean that I would ACTUALLY DO IT! :wtf:

I can understand if it actually posed a serious threat to the well being of others, but its just a commercial. :wtf:

It disgusts me that because some over zealous, bible thumping, home body, with nothing better to do than kill everyone elses joy (probably due to the fact that they have none of their own) over something as stupid as a TV commercial!

I'd be willing to bet $$$$$ that not one of the a-holes responsible for this owns anything closely related to a sports car.... most probably driving mini-vans or compact commuter cars.

These people need to find something better to do with their time than worry about what other people are watching on TV!!! :fume::smash:

Sorry..... I didn't mean to rant, but this really ticks me off. :D

I don't know which surprises me more - the fact that GM used bad taste in an advertisement, or the fact that they actually made a commercial for the Corvette. Think about it, when was the last time you saw a commercial for a Corvette? I don't recall ever seeing one at all. I always thought they didn't advertise Corvettes that much because they pretty much sell themselves... :confused:

I don't know which surprises me more - the fact that GM used bad taste in an advertisement, or the fact that they actually made a commercial for the Corvette. Think about it, when was the last time you saw a commercial for a Corvette? I don't recall ever seeing one at all. I always thought they didn't advertise Corvettes that much because they pretty much sell themselves... :confused:

Actually, the only time they really advertise a Corvette by it's own commercial is when the new generation debuts. They did the same thing with the C5 in 1997. GM ran some commercials on the C5 when it was new, but then it was hard pressed to even find it in another commercial for almost eight years.

Magazine advertisements is another thing. Corvette has a long history of magazine adds in many enthusiast magazines. Two page spreads even.

It's probably doubtful we'll see another dedicated C6 commercial :shakehead:

I just wish they would go back to huggin' bunnies and humpin' trees. :smash:

I don't know which surprises me more - the fact that GM used bad taste in an advertisement, or the fact that they actually made a commercial for the Corvette.  Think about it, when was the last time you saw a commercial for a Corvette?  I don't recall ever seeing one at all.  I always thought they didn't advertise Corvettes that much because they pretty much sell themselves...  :confused:

Actually, the only time they really advertise a Corvette by it's own commercial is when the new generation debuts. They did the same thing with the C5 in 1997. GM ran some commercials on the C5 when it was new, but then it was hard pressed to even find it in another commercial for almost eight years.

Magazine advertisements is another thing. Corvette has a long history of magazine adds in many enthusiast magazines. Two page spreads even.

It's probably doubtful we'll see another dedicated C6 commercial :shakehead:

I just wish they would go back to huggin' bunnies and humpin' trees. :smash:

:withstupid::flag:

Archived