Holley High Ram Intake Manifold

Its actually not a car intake as it will not fit under any car that came factory with a LS engine...

On a GM truck,it actually has more room under the hood than the stock truck intake.

Everything bolts on and plugs right in except the evap and even that can made to work easily with a barb fitting,the intake comes with a place for the map and another NPT port for any other needs(evap,boost gauge,etc)It will also require the use of a LS3/LS7/LS9 map sensor as the hole for the MAP is bigger than the stock l92 truck MAP.You will also need an adaptor to hook the stock "soft" fuel line to the fuel rails if you are still running the stock lines from the tank to the engine.Also,if you choose to feed the rails from the front of the engine,you will need to hook it up from the passenger side as you cannot get a fitting on the rail because of the alternator being in the way so youll have to feed from the front passenger side.

Its def a MEAN looking intake though.Performance is good in that it doesnt trade off any noticeble torque while carrying the power out farther in the RPM range.Thats comparing it to the best factory manifold treated to a port job though(a ported stock intake thats been dyno proven to make almost 20hp more than a FAST)

IMO,a FAST intake is for those who dont mind spending $1000 on an intake to look better under the hood.At least compared to the TBSS/L92 style manifolds,if starting with 99-06 stock truck intake,then it might just be a worthy upgrade.Still to much $$,esp compared to the other intakes out there.

Edited by broke1 (see edit history)

I'm hoping to work out a deal to get one of these to test. I'm really hoping to do a complete test of rectangle and cathedral port intakes. The test done with the Fast vs. the ported L92 intake like many tests showed an un-expected gain and with porting on the Fast and a 102mm throttle body the Fast should have made more or made the same. As for those buying the Fast LSXrt, they are seeing 15-20RWHP gain in the cathedral port intakes even over the new style truck cathedral port intake. There will be an L92 port Fast LSXrt made at some point but I don't expect it to be a big gain over stock just like the LSXr/LS3 intake. The LSXr/LS3 intake out of the box and with a 90mm throttle body will make + or - 3RWHP of a stock LS3 intake. Port that same intake and slap on a 102mm throttle body and you should see a 20RWHP gain or more. It has been suggested that the 102mm throttle body isn't a gain without a big motor. A friend recently tested a 102mm throttle body on a completely stock LS3. The 102mm throttle body made 7RWHP more than the 90mm and that was on a stock 6.2L.

Here is a good Fast square port intake test btw.

Fast intake test

I am not a fan of FAST intakes due to the cost per power ratio. I figure that to get the FAST intake, rails, 102mm tb, and have it ported will cost around $2500. That puts say 30hp over a stock intake at above 6k rpms, but only gaining a few hp and tq till then. If they do come out with a rec port version with long runners like the LSXRT I am sure that they can pull some good low end numbers that would sway me into the market for it, but justifying the price per power increase I just don't buy into them.

Its actually not a car intake as it will not fit under any car that came factory with a LS engine...

On a GM truck,it actually has more room under the hood than the stock truck intake.

Everything bolts on and plugs right in except the evap and even that can made to work easily with a barb fitting,the intake comes with a place for the map and another NPT port for any other needs(evap,boost gauge,etc)It will also require the use of a LS3/LS7/LS9 map sensor as the hole for the MAP is bigger than the stock l92 truck MAP.You will also need an adaptor to hook the stock "soft" fuel line to the fuel rails if you are still running the stock lines from the tank to the engine.Also,if you choose to feed the rails from the front of the engine,you will need to hook it up from the passenger side as you cannot get a fitting on the rail because of the alternator being in the way so youll have to feed from the front passenger side.

Its def a MEAN looking intake though.Performance is good in that it doesnt trade off any noticeble torque while carrying the power out farther in the RPM range.Thats comparing it to the best factory manifold treated to a port job though(a ported stock intake thats been dyno proven to make almost 20hp more than a FAST)

IMO,a FAST intake is for those who dont mind spending $1000 on an intake to look better under the hood.At least compared to the TBSS/L92 style manifolds,if starting with 99-06 stock truck intake,then it might just be a worthy upgrade.Still to much $$,esp compared to the other intakes out there.

well that kinda changes things because earlier in this post the guy was telling me about lots of custom fab which made me stray away from a holley, TBH if your intake your selling looked nice i.e. like an ls3 or fast (or something not stock) then i would buy it right now but i like how mean the holley looks. yes im going for gains but when i pop the hood on a n/a truck id like to have something to show for it instead of a stock looking motor.

Ill bet money that where the Holley Hi Ram will really show a huge increase over ANY other mass produced intake is forced induction app's.Sure,you could buy a $2500 custom sheet metal and probably have the same gains but again,$$$$ spent vs power gained...were talking about a $650 retail setup that includes billet fuel rails.Parts needed for installation run around $120,thats -6 AN fittings, lines,and the adapter needed.

IMO,its definetly the best looking intake for a LSx engine!

Ill bet money that where the Holley Hi Ram will really show a huge increase over ANY other mass produced intake is forced induction app's.Sure,you could buy a $2500 custom sheet metal and probably have the same gains but again,$$$$ spent vs power gained...were talking about a $650 retail setup that includes billet fuel rails.Parts needed for installation run around $120,thats -6 AN fittings, lines,and the adapter needed.

IMO,its definetly the best looking intake for a LSx engine!

yeah id love to do this intake by chance did you do a write up on it? i wanna see how you did it and do i need different injectors?

squintnoeswerdrun.gif

I am thinking about just buying the lower section and a few of their throttle body flanges and making a few different top sections with different styles. One like a double barrel, one with a larger rear plenum, and one that will have some spray bars in it. They would also have a bolt on throttle body adapter that could mate a 92mm or 102mm.

Also by the looks of it, there seems to be a good amount of material in the runners to allow for some heavy porting on them.

http://www.poormanmotorsports.com/product/Holley-LS-Modular-Hi-Ram-EFI-Intake-Manifolds/Default.aspx

I figure that base and a few of their flanges at around $35ea, and for around $600 I could have 3 intakes. I already have all the materials and equipment to make a few intakes anyways.

Since you have a 5.3 you are limited to cathedral port heads. You can wait for the hi-ram to come on the market for the cathedral port heads. (does not have a release date that I know of) As for throttle body if you do plan to go turbo I would suggest an LS3 with the x-link adapter. Should be plenty big enough for your needs, and will bolt on to the hi-ram 92mm intake no prob.

Since you have a 5.3 you are limited to cathedral port heads. You can wait for the hi-ram to come on the market for the cathedral port heads. (does not have a release date that I know of) As for throttle body if you do plan to go turbo I would suggest an LS3 with the x-link adapter. Should be plenty big enough for your needs, and will bolt on to the hi-ram 92mm intake no prob.

Well idk if imma do a turbo set up imma be n/a for the summer unless I some how come into alot of money ;) lol

The Holley piece really has the look to it like they did their homework on it. Any aftermarket intake is pricey and none are going to give you a huge gain. The idea in doing an intake manifold even if you only gain say10hp for 1500 or more is that you have increased power output without losing any driveability. Whether you do a Fast, Holley, Edelbrock, etc, the idea is to gain power without losing any torque at all down low (hopefully pick up some) and see a good gain up high. In the world of making power to gain even say 15hp more on a build I'd rather build with a smaller camshaft and better intake than a stock intake and bigger camshaft to make the same power. The ideal build is big port heads (within reason), big tube headers (again within reason), big port intake with correct length runners and overall intake volume, and mild camshaft. Make your power with big flowing parts and not have to do it all with the camshaft choice.

The Holley piece really has the look to it like they did their homework on it. Any aftermarket intake is pricey and none are going to give you a huge gain. The idea in doing an intake manifold even if you only gain say10hp for 1500 or more is that you have increased power output without losing any driveability. Whether you do a Fast, Holley, Edelbrock, etc, the idea is to gain power without losing any torque at all down low (hopefully pick up some) and see a good gain up high. In the world of making power to gain even say 15hp more on a build I'd rather build with a smaller camshaft and better intake than a stock intake and bigger camshaft to make the same power. The ideal build is big port heads (within reason), big tube headers (again within reason), big port intake with correct length runners and overall intake volume, and mild camshaft. Make your power with big flowing parts and not have to do it all with the camshaft choice.

well i have frutral f11 228/230 .576 .595 112lsa and 799 heads with 918 springs and i was gonna run like this for awhile till i get an intake manifold and port the heads also im either getting obx's or pacesetters LT's... i want an intake more cosmeticly rather then power gain

also can you tell me other supporting parts i need such ass injectors lifters gaskets and any part numbers would be greatly appreciated