Holley High Ram Intake Manifold

So i want to use the holley high ram intake but it comes with rectangular ports, not a big deal as i also wanted to do l92 heads. With that said i was wondering, even though it is a car intake will it still work with a tbss 90mm tb and will it fit with my truck accessory drive? (it is pretty tall) I have a 04 5.3 lm7basically stock for now but buying parts to rebuild the top end. Also might be doing nitrous and or turbo. thanks for all the help guys!!

i was also thinking of using one of these as the runners seem to be longer then the victor jr.

There should be no problem using the 90mm tb as it is a 4 bolt pattern, but remember you will need an x-link. I use the victor intake and with a car style elbow there are still clearance issue, but with the height of this intake you should be able to avoid hitting the idler pulley with the intake tube/throttle body. However i never used my intake with the stock water pump, so you may have to look into this as a problem, or change out water pumps/add an electric one.

I'd be interested to see the runner length of this intake(6.5") vs the fast lsx intakes(I'll have to look). I typically don't tell guys to use the short runner victor intake due to what it does to the low end torque and extended shift points. The aluminum intakes tend to be horrible for heat soaking as well. On a 60 degree day i can leave the hood open for 2 hours and the runners are still hotter then hell.

Other things to look into would be; does it have a large vacuum port for the power brakes, does it have a vacuum port to hook up the MAP sensor, can you hook up the evap solenoid. Your probably going to need a custom intake tube.

I don't have a stock intake at my house to measure the overall height, but if you can measure from the valley cover to the top of the stock intake and then compare it this height, 11.08, you can make sure it fits under the hood.

Also don't forget you'll need aftermarket fuel rails, you'll have to make your own fuel lines for the cross over and to the supply line(or how ever the 04 fuel system runs). I'm not sure what injector problems you'll run into either. it depends on what your using, but height and the o-ring diameter are questions i would ask before ordering.

i was also thinking of using one of these as the runners seem to be longer then the victor jr.

There should be no problem using the 90mm tb as it is a 4 bolt pattern, but remember you will need an x-link. I use the victor intake and with a car style elbow there are still clearance issue, but with the height of this intake you should be able to avoid hitting the idler pulley with the intake tube/throttle body. However i never used my intake with the stock water pump, so you may have to look into this as a problem, or change out water pumps/add an electric one.

I'd be interested to see the runner length of this intake(6.5") vs the fast lsx intakes(I'll have to look). I typically don't tell guys to use the short runner victor intake due to what it does to the low end torque and extended shift points. The aluminum intakes tend to be horrible for heat soaking as well. On a 60 degree day i can leave the hood open for 2 hours and the runners are still hotter then hell.

Other things to look into would be; does it have a large vacuum port for the power brakes, does it have a vacuum port to hook up the MAP sensor, can you hook up the evap solenoid. Your probably going to need a custom intake tube.

I don't have a stock intake at my house to measure the overall height, but if you can measure from the valley cover to the top of the stock intake and then compare it this height, 11.08, you can make sure it fits under the hood.

Also don't forget you'll need aftermarket fuel rails, you'll have to make your own fuel lines for the cross over and to the supply line(or how ever the 04 fuel system runs). I'm not sure what injector problems you'll run into either. it depends on what your using, but height and the o-ring diameter are questions i would ask before ordering.

i have a cowl hood so not too worried about clerance and it says it comes with fuel rails already so idk if ill have to make custom ones, as far as the heat soak issue, we dont get much hotter then 70* in anchorage ak but i do see that being a problem is there anyway around that maybe run just an inner cooler? idk if it has the vacuum port for the map sensor and idk how to hook it up to the evap. and if you mean custom intake tube as in the way it curves down? then i had already thought about that too and have been looking into it. what is the benefit of having an electic water pump and what does the xlink do. My question for the tb though was meaning can i use the trailblazer ss tb its a 4 bolt 90mm?

i have a cowl hood so not too worried about clerance and it says it comes with fuel rails already so idk if ill have to make custom ones, as far as the heat soak issue, we dont get much hotter then 70* in anchorage ak but i do see that being a problem is there anyway around that maybe run just an inner cooler? idk if it has the vacuum port for the map sensor and idk how to hook it up to the evap. and if you mean custom intake tube as in the way it curves down? then i had already thought about that too and have been looking into it. what is the benefit of having an electic water pump and what does the xlink do. My question for the tb though was meaning can i use the trailblazer ss tb its a 4 bolt 90mm?

not "custom" fuel rails just aftermarket ones. If it comes with them, good, but odds are you'll still have to make your own fuel lines.

although the outside temp affects things to, the aluminum intakes act as heat sinks for the 200 degree motor underneath it and don't release that heat as fast as composites.

If your using a closed box intake with a tube that needs to line up with the MAF/box and the throttle body, yes there is a good chance it will not work. But if your looking into custom pipes and couplers, I'm sure you can get it to work.

The E water pump frees up hp by the crank not driving it anymore. It still has a dummy pulley to maintain belt wrap on the crank, but it has no resistance. It also moves the radiator hose and takes one of the problems created by a lower car intake out of the equation.

Start doing research on how guys have hooked up their victor jr intakes and it will give you some ideas for CAI,MAP, purge, and brake booster. This intake will be similar(as long as it has the vacuum hook ups) in getting it to work minus the elbow needed for the victor.

The x-link is what you need to run the 90mm TBSS tb on our trucks. The stock 3 bolt 78mm tb is wired different then the 4 bolt ones are and this adapts it.

intercoolers cool air that has been compressed by some sort of forced air induction. There is no need for a intercooler on a NA truck, and like i said heat soak is not the air's fault.

If it comes with rectangle ports you won't be able to run it on a 5.3L since there aren't any rectangle port heads that I'm aware of that will fit a 5.3L. GM and Mast make small bore rectangle port heads, but made for 3.89 bore not the 3.78 bore of the 5.3L. Here is a link to the intake I'm assuming you're looking at. I don't understand why you call it a car intake though. It is the same style as a truck intake from the picture. What makes you pic that intake?

If it comes with rectangle ports you won't be able to run it on a 5.3L since there aren't any rectangle port heads that I'm aware of that will fit a 5.3L. GM and Mast make small bore rectangle port heads, but made for 3.89 bore not the 3.78 bore of the 5.3L. Here is a link to the intake I'm assuming you're looking at. I don't understand why you call it a car intake though. It is the same style as a truck intake from the picture. What makes you pic that intake?

well if I'm not mistaken I can put l92 heads off the 6.2 on and since they are rectangular ports they would fit with the holley and I want it because I want a different manifold then what everyone else has and I can't afford a fast but I want an intake for something to show under the hood and some extra performance would be nice ha

well if I'm not mistaken I can put l92 heads off the 6.2 on and since they are rectangular ports they would fit with the holley and I want it because I want a different manifold then what everyone else has and I can't afford a fast but I want an intake for something to show under the hood and some extra performance would be nice ha

reread what zippy wrote very closely. I forgot about this myself

Then read the description at the top of this page:

http://www.jegs.com/p/GM-Performance/GM-Performance-Parts-L76-L92-Series-Cylinder-Heads/835484/10002/-1

More reading:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/1368342-l92-heads-5-3-a.html

Although carb style intakes look good under the hood, using it because it costs less is not a good choice. It will hurt your low end more then it will help your high end, unless you choose a set of heads and a cam that can breath past 7000 rpm.

reread what zippy wrote very closely. I forgot about this myself

Then read the description at the top of this page:

http://www.jegs.com/p/GM-Performance/GM-Performance-Parts-L76-L92-Series-Cylinder-Heads/835484/10002/-1

More reading:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/1368342-l92-heads-5-3-a.html

Although carb style intakes look good under the hood, using it because it costs less is not a good choice. It will hurt your low end more then it will help your high end, unless you choose a set of heads and a cam that can breath past 7000 rpm.

Ha I feel like an idiot,.1) I didn't even see that in zippys post and 2) didn't even realize it was a carb intake. Guess I'll just be going with a fast unless, is there any intake that will fit on my 5.3 that looks good and will fit with my truck accessory drive. sorry trying to build a show truck with 400hp.

Ha I feel like an idiot,.1) I didn't even see that in zippys post and 2) didn't even realize it was a carb intake. Guess I'll just be going with a fast unless, is there any intake that will fit on my 5.3 that looks good and will fit with my truck accessory drive. sorry trying to build a show truck with 400hp.

Don't feel bad, I should've been the one to catch that and it got past me to.

And its not a carb intake exactly....its a carb style intake that will work for EFI. The "carb style" is kinda a slang for the aluminum short runner intake that may have the holley 4150 carb bolt pattern. This intake is a little nicer because it has either the single carb or dual carb top, but also has the efi option. The victor intakes have the locations for the injectors but the top is still the 4150 holley bolt pattern.

If a show truck is really in your heart...then all bets are off. You can choose your parts based on apearance and not on a good match to make it down the track in the least amount of time, but those that know me...know a show truck is out of my league.

You may want to look into a smoothed lq9 or tbss intake. A car intake looks better but comes with a whole buch of changes to make it work. A fast lsxrt is easier to use but comes at a cost. A victor jr can be made nice to look at but comes with all sorts of install issues as i have mentioned above. A proflow XT intake may be better for show but also comes with install issues.

lsxrt

http://www.fuelairspark.com/2/FS/Intake/Default.aspx

proflow xt

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/efi/pf-xt_ls1.shtml

this is my victor

100_3395.jpg

also shows the e-water pump

DSC00556.jpg

best of luck with your choice

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

Don't feel bad, I should've been the one to catch that and it got past me to.

And its not a carb intake exactly....its a carb style intake that will work for EFI. The "carb style" is kinda a slang for the aluminum short runner intake that may have the holley 4150 carb bolt pattern. This intake is a little nicer because it has either the single carb or dual carb top, but also has the efi option. The victor intakes have the locations for the injectors but the top is still the 4150 holley bolt pattern.

If a show truck is really in your heart...then all bets are off. You can choose your parts based on apearance and not on a good match to make it down the track in the least amount of time, but those that know me...know a show truck is out of my league.

You may want to look into a smoothed lq9 or tbss intake. A car intake looks better but comes with a whole buch of changes to make it work. A fast lsxrt is easier to use but comes at a cost. A victor jr can be made nice to look at but comes with all sorts of install issues as i have mentioned above. A proflow XT intake may be better for show but also comes with install issues.

That looks awesome actually how hard was your set up a lot of custom fab? Or pretty basic and I like the one in the second link

both require all of the things i mentioned above, custom fuel lines, possible spacers for the rails, figuring out MAP, vacuum/pcv and purge. Again, the only reason i went back to these intakes was for "show".

If you search "proflow" on here, you should come up with a few threads, i remember it coming up before. some where i have a thread about what i did on the victor as well