Cement freeway bounce

dcairns

Anyone notice a bad bouncing on some cement freeways? There is a stretch out here that really is bad in my SS. My S-10 has an even firmer suspension, and it is not bad on the same freeway. It is like the warping around the expansion joints hits the wrong frequency for the SS.

dcairns, I noticed the exact same thing on a cement highway. I have ordered helper springs for the rear, I will see if they help this problem. I don't seem to have it on pavement.

More to come on this.

That sounds like it may be a shock issue. I have a chevrolet 1500 that did the same thing. I eventually changed the rear leaf springs ( for other reasons ) out for a set of gm 1 ton springs off a wrecker. Even with these springs the truck bounced. I recently lifted the rear with blocks, and at the same time changed the shocks. The bouncing effect was lessened greatly with the change of shocks.

If you want a scary ride, drive a truck with the shocks removed. ( Don't try this at home :D )

Hope that helps. :flag::chevy:

if you chaged shocks i'd recomend QA1's or Edelbrock's. likely though, the problem is caused by the excessive unsprung weight of the 20 inch wheel combo. helper springs are a bad idea on a silverado as the E.P.V. works off of rear ride height. if you need more spring, you need more truck.

if you chaged shocks i'd recomend QA1's or Edelbrock's. likely though, the problem is caused by the excessive unsprung weight of the 20 inch wheel combo. helper springs are a bad idea on a silverado as the E.P.V. works off of rear ride height. if you need more spring, you need more truck.

I called what I ordered helper springs, what they are is Roadmasters Active Suspension System. It is designed to reduce the risk of rollover, imporve road holding, eliminate axle warp and wheel hop. These go from the axel to the back of the leaf spring only with a spring in the middle.

I hope this does not have a adverse effect on the EVP - 99% of the time I will not have a load.

I called what I ordered helper springs, what they are is Roadmasters Active Suspension System. It is designed to reduce the risk of rollover, imporve road holding, eliminate axle warp and wheel hop. These go from the axel to the back of the leaf spring only with a spring in the middle.

I hope this does not have a adverse effect on the EVP - 99% of the time I will not have a load.

I went to their website to see what the heck you were talking about

http://www.activesuspension.com

As usual, a picture is worth a thousand words :P

logohome01a.jpglogohome01c.jpglogohome01d.jpg

Looks kind of interesting for better load handling and cornering, although I don't know if it will help much with the "bounce" problem. I am thinking that Zippy is right about the higher unsprung weight being at the root of the problem. I am hoping the right shock might minimize it.

I went to their website to see what the heck you were talking about

http://www.activesuspension.com

As usual, a picture is worth a thousand words :P

logohome01a.jpglogohome01c.jpglogohome01d.jpg

Looks kind of interesting for better load handling and cornering, although I don't know if it will help much with the "bounce" problem. I am thinking that Zippy is right about the higher unsprung weight being at the root of the problem. I am hoping the right shock might minimize it.

:rolleyes: Good job. The picture is the hot tip! I will let all know what happens with the modification. Also, if you or anyone else does somthing with the shocks - let us know.

for any of you unfamilier with the electronic perportioning valve. the 99 and up silverado/sierra trucks use a perportioning valve that determine's how much braking power to send to the rear brakes by the angle of the rear of the truck (they say it's by ride height which is incorrect). as the rear of the truck is loaded it changes the angle and applies more braking power as needed. unloaded and under certain other braking conditions, it helps to prevent lockup/abs engagement in the rear. adding spring rate to the rear takes away some of the braking power at the rear wearing out the front's faster and taking away some braking ability from the truck because the rear brakes aren't given as much power.

I asked Roadmaster Active Suspension if the product would detract from the breaking, this is the answer:

Our product enhances the suspension of the vehicle and does not affect vehicle braking in any way.

Best Regards,

Bud Clark

National Marketing Manager

Roadmaster Active Suspension

330-D East Hebron Street

Charlotte, NC 28273

(800) 398-5036

(704) 523-2646

(704) 523-0259 Fax

www.activesuspension.com

i'm not trying to shoot down your suspension idea, but your asking the company that is selling you their product. if this were asked of a gm engineer i'd assume a different response would be had.

• 2 weeks later...

So does anybody have any opinions about Rancho RS9000X adjustable shocks? They have a 9 position knob on the shock to set firmness. Is the soft position softer than the shock on the SS? If the firmest position going to be firmer than the stock SS shock? For that matter, is the shock on the SS the same sizing as the Silverado 1500 4WD?

the shock appears to be a big larger and carries a different part number, but i'm not sure what all was changed. the rancho's are a very nice shock although i think you'd be happier with the edelbrock shocks. i've installed them on a few vehicles where an adjustable would have worked great and they do just about everything the adjustable would do without adjustment. my buddy's 00' silverado has them (i installed them) with his 20's and it doesn't have the hop to it.

I was thinking about the Edelbrocks, but was not sure if it would make the truck "floaty". My wifes Rodeo is that way (not sure what the stock shocks are). Kind of "floaty" in small movements and then it firms up in a hurry. Glad to hear they worked well on an 01 Silverado.

Archived