2.3 MPG improvement with the King Cobra induction!

tbyrne

I installed the VaraRam King Cobra induction in my 2002 8.1 Silverado when our shipment arrived last week. This is the non-ram air version (full kit isn't available yet). I put about 40 miles on the truck and then layed into it a few times to see what the "butt meter" had to say. Throttle response seemed better than the other aftermarket system that I was using. It also felt like it pulled better through the RPM range. I then filled up and put 131 miles on the truck before filling up. It took 11.93 gallons which gave me 10.9 MPG. I then went 176 miles before filling up again. It took 16.6 gallons so I had 10.6 MPG on that tank (10.75 average). This is a big increase over what I was seeing with the other system. The 3 tanks before this test gave me an average of 8.4 MPH. I pretty much maintain the same driving style and stay in the same area all the time so I usually know what kind of mileage I will see (varies by .30-.40). The only time that I used to see over 10 MPG was doing all highway driving so there was a very noticeable difference in fuel economy with this system. It picked up by 2.35 MPG.

I've calibrated my speed with a GPS after doing a gear swap a few months ago so it's on the money. It looks like this system will be saving me some money at the pumps! :) My Suburban will be getting one in a few days and both trucks will have the ram air portion of this kit when it's released (hopefully that will be very soon). I'll be keeping track of the mileage for both of these trucks to see how it is down the road.

Test truck info - 2002 Silverado HD with 37" tires, 4.56 gears, Allison transmission, VaraRam induction, stock tube to the ported throttlebody, throttlebody spacer, Direct Hits ignition, TOG headers, mild Comp Cam, 1.7 roller rockers and Westers tuning.

I have a call into the owner of VaraRam to see if they are available yet. You could go with the non-ram air kit and then add the ram air when that becomes available. This way you don't spend the $ on something else :)

These systems are listed in the Truck Induction section of our website. The non-ram air version is $239.99 and $339.99 for the complete kit with ram air. The non ram air can be upgraded for $100.

I should have the ram air portion of this system on Saturday. large shipment will be heading this way next week if my install and testing goes ok.

Again, Keep us informed! I would REALLY like to get the full system on so I can test it on my 4000 mile road trip over labor day week! I think I was the first to order the full ram air system. I have data from the last 2 times I did this drive, and plan on matching it to this run, if I have the system by then. Plus the G-Tech testing I plan on doing.

Thanks!

Chad

Looks similar to the RAISS or Super Stealth Induction tubs for the 1994-1996 Impala SS. Those systems deflect the air in front of the upper part of the radiator and funnels them under the hood from a width of about 36" and 3 inches in height all into a 7" x 6" tapered conical S&B filter with inverted ram-air cone in the tip. These Impala systems offer a VERY noticeable improvement in power.

So the VR should have favorable results.

Rick R

I don't think that the king cobra is all it is made up to be. Our 2004 Chevy suburban with the 8.1 and volant intake gets better mileage then your 2002 Chevy Silverado with the 8.1 it seems to me that before the tune that we had done that we got around 11.5 – 12 mpg and after the tune we get around 14 mpg.

Archived