L92 Cam & Engine Question

So, I've started researching a new Cam & engine mods for my Denali. It has the stock L92 6.2 setup with no engine or internal mods done whatsoever. When it comes to internal engine mods, I consider myself to be dangerously knowledgeable (I know enough for it to be dangerous to myself and others). <-- Not a place I want to be making decisions like this from.

I've been reading that some have added the LS9 Cam to their 6.2L L92's with no other mods. This sounds good and all, but it leaves me with questions I can't find the answers to. This is where I am looking for some help.

This truck is my daily driver. I am looking to retain the daily driver'ness while gaining enough "don't screw with me pal" mid to top end power. So, here goes:

Will I have to replace valves, springs, rockers, lifters, or heads if I go with this cam?

Will I really gain any advantages with using this cam over the stock cam in the L92?

Cam specs from GMPP Catalog are: GM Part # 12638427

Duration @ .050" l:211 E:230

Max Lift (1.7 rocker): I: .562 E: .562

Lobe Separation: 122.5

I've also been looking at the GMPP "Hot Cam." It boasts "0.525-inch lift on both the intake and exhaust sides, along with 219-degree/228-degree duration" for a production LS3 with L92 heads.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Lefty (see edit history)

There are definitely gains to be had with this cam over your stock cam. I can't speak to the valve springs etc, but my guess is yes you will need to change them. I don't know if the LS7 springs would work, but I would think so. Similar thought as the LS6/2 springs working on the GenIII vortec engines.

Also, I know the LS7 cam is basically the same but on a tighter LSA (I think 119 vs a 122 for the LS9). I think you'd be better off with the LS7 cam than the LS9 cam.

You should poke aroudn LS1 tech as im sure you can find the answers over there.

Good luck.

Thanks Rob. I've been lurking on LS1 for a while. This is where the idea was set in motion. :thumbsup:

As you can probably tell from my post, I really have no idea of the scope of work I am getting myself into. If this can be a "small" project, I am all for it. If it is a larger project than I am willing to pay for, then it will be moth balled. Cost is not the issue, but it is an issue.

Edited by Lefty (see edit history)

First off cam it! thumb.gif

Sounds like you want something with a smooth idle and compatible with the stock converter at least that would be ideal for a daily driver. I did a quick search and came up with this for the LS9 in a 6.2. The results: http://ls1tech.com/f...2-cc-truck.html

Gained 43 hp and 18 tq thats pretty dang good and it has a nice flat curve to it so it makes power sooner, I'm sure you would get a nice bump in the seat from that! Haha

As far as the installation goes, the LS series engines are really easy to work on but you do need some basic engine skills and such to do the swap. It probably wouldn't be too bad of an idea to have a shop do it if your afraid of messing something up. Also I think you have VVT and I'm unsure if the LS9 cam has it. Another easier option might be to have one spec'd for you, as I'm pretty sure Comp makes VVT specific cams so you don't have to delete VVT. The only things you would need to swap are: Pushrods (probably go to a hardened), Valve springs, and the cam itself. The lifters should be good to go and there would be no reason to change the valves.

Hope that helps your decision, just takes some calling around and research! Contact Zippy he might know some stuff about camming a 6.2?

Edited by Matt* (see edit history)

Thanks Matt, you pretty much nailed it as to what I am looking to accomplish and the way I am looking to do it.. I came up with a lot of the same info and was really looking for some more trusted, knowledgeable input. I appreciate the reply. Thanks!