1.8 Rocker Arms

Its just an easy way to get a little more valve lift and duration without going through all the work of a cam swap. Yes you will see some gains but should get a tune to get the full potential. While your in there you might as well upgrade the springs and retainers.

Its just an easy way to get a little more valve lift and duration without going through all the work of a cam swap. Yes you will see some gains but should get a tune to get the full potential. While your in there you might as well upgrade the springs and retainers.

and if you do all that you should just get a cam and not have a ton of stress on your valuetrain...

I was actually debating doing a cam, or heads, or both (possibly Trickflow top end kit). I need the warm weather before I can do these because my truck is 2" too long for the garage. I was looking for something quick. I already have a Zippy tune, but I don't want to keep remapping it for little crap. I'd rather do it all at once.

Now you guys brought up another question. If I plan to do a cam swap, should I just forget the rockers, or should I consider doing both? You mentioned valvetrain stress. Should I do just the cam?

I was actually debating doing a cam, or heads, or both (possibly Trickflow top end kit). I need the warm weather before I can do these because my truck is 2" too long for the garage. I was looking for something quick. I already have a Zippy tune, but I don't want to keep remapping it for little crap. I'd rather do it all at once.

Now you guys brought up another question. If I plan to do a cam swap, should I just forget the rockers, or should I consider doing both? You mentioned valvetrain stress. Should I do just the cam?

Well the roller rockers will free up a few hp. Also as you know you can increase the ratio to get more lift and duration if your cam isn't enough. Depending on how much lift you get from your cam, your stock rockers should work fine. Might want to consider a trunion kit though.

Doug nice to see your still around here. Are you going to make the nats event, it would be nice to see you again.

I like doing everything at once, like you said makes it easy to just tweak the tune in and forget about it. But then again once you get used to the new power and it feels slow again... your not left with much more to do.

Forget about the 1.8 ratio rockers, its a poor mans cam. Do it right and pick a cam with the duration that is going to get you where you need to be. You tow a lot don't you?

I like to add true roller rockers to the top end. Your stock rockers will handle most of the lifts you'll use, but they are going to side load the valve stem more and cause more wear on your valve guides. And adding a set is helping to reduce the friction by using the roller tip, so your going to get a little extra out of that. Little extra power, little nicer on the valve guides and a little better geometry.

Don't foget to add in new lifters when your doing this. The ls7's should work fine for you. Pick up a set of ls2 lifter guides as well, or at least drill a drain hole in the stock ones.

IMO trick flow heads are the best on the market right now. Go with a set of 225's and get them in the 65cc chamber, and still run a thinner head gasket.

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

$ for $ I would look for a supercharger, either a radix or a procharger. It will cost more up front but you will be better off(unless you are shotting for a time), I sometimes dream I saved and just got a box of parts rather than piecing stuff together.

I'm actually done being a boat mechanic so I'm not towing much anymore. After 15 years I didn't want to look at boats anymore. I even sold mine.

So I still have the urge to work on stuff and tinker and am looking at the truck again. I almost traded it in on a Camaro, but decided I still wanted a truck. I'm just going to pay it off then get a toy to play with.

I just got back on the board so I just found out about the Nats when you mentioned it. I'm sure I'll be there being it's so close.

Back to the issue at hand. Like I said, I was thinking of doing some things in the future. I'm just not sure how far I want to go or how much to spend. I thought the rockers would be a cheap, easy gain. It sounds though that it would be a safer route to go with the cam for now and forget the ratio change. I'll probably just go with the cam that comes with the Trickflow kit so I don't have to do the research when I decide to do the heads.

I'm a fan of picking my cam so I'm the one to blame if it works or doesn't, but their top end kits are already tested and guaranty to put down the numbers they say.

If you already have a zippy tune, just call him and tell him you want a cam for your situation and order that one, that way you get a cam with your ideas in mind.

If your truck isn't a work horse anymore, don't forget to add the larger stall to the list