NOS and Superchargers

dcairns

I was wondering if anyone was considering Centrifugal supercharges? I've looked into ATI Procharger and they seem to have a relatively decent system. A bit pricier than the roots or twin screw options, but the system comes with an intercooler which discharges into the stock air box (minus the filter, of course). ATI claims the intercooler allows for 6#'s with gains in the 60-65% range(unsubstantiated, they said they have not done a dyno test yet). System package is around $4k, self installed.

Opinions?

-chevelleguy

69 Chevelle

03 Silverado SS

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got a quote on a intercooled Procharger supercharger from an engine shop in Park City, Utah for $4196 installed. He also said he would most likely have to send the computer off to get recalibrated for 4500 ft elevation. The Prochargers are designed to run up to 3000 ft without changing the computer calibration. That is an extra $450. I called Procharger and they told me to go through a Procharger dealer rather than buy direct because you get a better deal that way. I was confused how this worked, but I'll let someone else install it for the same money as buying direct and doing it myself. The people at Procharger said they haven't gotten their hands on an SS yet to get precise measurments for the install kit, but it should be ready mid-summer. I also noticed this weekend on "Trucks" on TNN they installed a Procharger on a F-150 5.4L. The results are supposed to show next weekend.

According to my figures, with a 60-65% gain in hp that would put the SS at 550 to 570 hp with a Procharger. Taking 10% off for the AWD that would be around 500 to 520. I put that in the ET calculator and it came out to be a 13.5-13.3 1/4 mile time. Anyone have any different figures? How would this compare to a Whipple supercharger?

According to my figures, with a 60-65% gain in hp that would put the SS at 550 to 570 hp with a Procharger. Taking 10% off for the AWD that would be around 500 to 520. I put that in the ET calculator and it came out to be a 13.5-13.3 1/4 mile time. Anyone have any different figures? How would this compare to a Whipple supercharger?

I would say those figures are optimistic. Whipple told me they were getting 470 flywheel out of the Escalade (same motor as the SS). This is a 38% gain and I calculated a 13.7 ET. So even if the magic of centrifugal blowers is true and you got some more ponies than a Whipple, you are probably still going to be under 50% gain.

Remember this is a high compression motor to start with. You make more power through boost than through high compression, so ideally you would want to start with a low compression motor and add lots of boost. We are in the opposite situation, so there will not be as much to gain.

I had pretty much made up my mind to get a Whipple, but I have taken another look at the Magnacharger Radix, and now I like it better. The intercooler factor is rather compelling.

Can anyone explain to me why centrifugals are popular with drag racers? I find it hard to belive they actauly out perform a roots or screw type compressor. Is it because they are cheaper and easier to tinker with? I still think the logic of "more time spent under boost = more power" is the right way even if the peak HP is less.

The cetrifugals cause less parasitic load at low rpm's, so the vehicle would have better street manners under idle-3000 rpm's. The other thing I liked about the procharger system is that it's intercooled and routed back through the stock air box.

Anyone have a better handle on centrifugals? I'd love to find out if it's worth thinking about before dropping $3-4k on any of these systems, roots or otherwise.

Also, does anyone know the specs on the power ratings on the transfer case? Looked around and couldn't find it. Thanks.

The centrifugals are so popular with the racing crowd because they work. :D

The old roots type blowers creat alot more heat than the centrifugals, and it is very easy to plumb in a intercooler on the centrfugal.

None of the twin screw companies like whipple or magnacgarger make a screw that will really even get close in power production to a centrifugal.

Plus it is easer to get a centrifugal under the hood.

The main thing a whipple type has over a centrifugal is instant boost, centrifugals build boost similar to a turbo and as such they make better upper end power.

RF

I think the Procharger is the way to go, I like them better than the Vortech and if you are looking for some real good quarter mile times, that type of blower is the way to go. Then you get an ultra efficient intercooler while you are at it. Its very much like a turbo. Combine this with a 3000 stall, and you are going to be launching really hard with these trucks.

Im gonna go this route with my truck. Or if im feeling really crazy, twin turbos :cool:

but before any type of power adder, im going with the intake, cam, custom programmer, long tubes, and the converter to see what i can get outta that. I really think these 10:1 motors can really be woken up with a head and cam job. I want to be in the 13s all motor, then go FI.

Centrifugal builds power at higher RPMs, which is why dragsters use them. They launch at higher rpms and then really wind tight. A twin screw builds power at lower rpms faster which enhances driveability for more normal driving. I ran a Paxton on a Ford - and when I was at higher (3000+) rpms it ran great. So decide how you will drive the vehicle. If you are launching at 2-3000 rpm, then you will get good results with the centrifugal. If you are just mashing it at a light, or towing, then the twin screw may be better. Note the Lightning and HD use a twin screw, which is why they launch good from the line, but taper off at higher speeds.

Archived