NOS and Superchargers

dcairns

I don't know much about NOS ( I know the theory of how it works). What I am wondering, is on the SS 6.0 with a supercharger, could you add a smaller NOS (dry?) system before the supercharger? Would you need to add extra fuel or does the existing injection system have the capacity to keep up with things?

Thanks - Dave

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For A 50 or 75 shot nothing would have to be changed, the fuel system

is plenty adequate for this shot. On our bracket cars we will run 13.20s

on the motor and 12.40s with the 75 shot and we change nothing. If you

want a 125 to 250 a separate fuel system is required we might use a fuel

cell and another fuel pump.

B)

That's what I wanted to know. I am just want to keep a little NOS shot in my back pocket in case the Whipple isn't quite enough to keep up with a stock Lightning :unsure: Despite what the nay-sayers are saying (who probably know better than me), I am optimistic about a supercharged SS vs a Lightning. Any recommendations on a good NOS system? I looked at NOS / Holley's website and their low power setup still had a ton of stuff to install. I was thinking something simple like a bottle, a sprayer and a switch, not a raft of computers and valves, or is that just the way it is?

The SS with a whipple will not run with a lightning, of that I can guarantee you, you'll need some additional work to get that job done. The sheer weight of the thing will kill it.

Just my opinion.

BTW, a good friend of mine has a whippled 2000 5.3 with a NX wet kit. He has sprayed a 50 horse shot quite a few times with no damage so far.

He has ran a 13.062 at 104mph without the spray, he hasn't made a pass on the spray yet with a tire that would hold the gas.

RF

There are Lightnings out there running 11's and 12's, and a few with major mods running 10's from what I have heard. I went to one of their performance sites and for about $7000, they were knocking off 1.5 to 1.8 seconds in 1/4 times. That does not include slicks. Put slicks on and they are probably knocking off 2 sec.

Just like the 03 cobra. For $1500 in mods they are getting 85 more HP, putting them up around 450RWP. That is nice.

Wish I liked Fords. I would not mind having one of each.

Mark

Man now I know how rumors are started 11s and 10s LOL

I go to the track a least twice a month I run a small block chevy Camaro.

I run 12.69 without the NOS and I don't normally run the bottle and I have never had one of these trucks keep up with me, not that there are not some out there that can but they are few and far between. I have raced at least 5 or 6 of these pickups and they do run into the 13s one guy on this post said he saw one run 13.50s. :rolleyes:

I was having some fun putting numbers into one of those "Quarter Mile Time" estimator programs, you know, the kind that you enter the weight and HP and it gives you an estimated ET. I don't know how realistic these estimators are, but for the purpose of comparing to 'closely' matched vehicles, it should give and accurate comparison. De-rating the HP on the SS 10% for the AWD is probably too much, but others here have said it would be a 10% penalty. I think these 'loss' figures originate from dyno operators who like to give their customers higher flywheel HP ratings by using high transmission loss figures to calculate flywheel HP from rear wheel HP. So, the truth will be somewhere between the 13.77 and 14.26 ET, which happens to right where the Lightning sits.

Silverado SS at 5298 lbs

Stock HP 345HP 15.26 ET

Whipple Supercharged HP 470 HP 13.77 ET

Whipple Supercharged HP de-rated 10% for AWD 423HP 14.26 ET

Lightning at 4670 lbs

Stock HP 380HP 14.17 ET

This comparison agrees with my power to weight ratio comparisons that I did in another thread.

Looks to me like the Whippled SS will be in the running with a stock Lightning.

I don't know where RatFink is getting all his pessimism from, but I would like to see him back up his gloomy opinions with some facts.

-Dave

To feel comfortable against most lightnings, I would personally want to be in the mid 12's. My Typhoon ran 12.17 1/4 mile times, but I never got to race one. I was looking. I did not fear anything on the street with my Typhoon, especailly from a stop. If you could get an SS into the mid 12's, I don't think you would have to worry about most vehicles, especailly from a stop. At the track might be a different story, but I don't plan on going to the track anyway :D .

How much does a C3 weigh compared the the SS? Anybody?

Lingenfelter got the C3 to run 13.3 with 475 hp, course Lingenfelter's numbers are usually rated lower than they actually are.

Dcairns,

I somebody finds the weight of the C3, could you please calculate the HP that it is putting out to run 13.3., then take the weight of the SS and the hp number to get a time for the SS.

Thanks

Course my stereo system is probably going to slow it down some.

boycer

I was not saying SS/Whipple combination would win, but would be competitive with a stock Lightning. Getting into discussions about the endless modifications and hearsay 1/4 mile times, make it harder to compare.

GMC Denali weighs 5478 (curb weight) see http://media.gm.com/division/gmc/index.html

Silverado SS weighs 5298 (curb weight) see http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.ph...f2d085b0f8d4b93

So it is +180 lbs for the Denali (formerly C3)

SSVette showed me this link to a ET Estimator. Uses Rear Wheel HP and has some other cool calculators too. http://www.prestage.com/carmath/calc_etmph.asp

This one claims to work off of the flywheel horsepower http://www.rx7turboturbo.com/robrobinette/et.htm

-Dave

Archived