Custom Cam / Stall Installed...Now What?

I'm running the volant intake on my 102 and my buddy is also running a volant on his 102. The ID of the volant is very close to the 102 diameter, so it shouldn't have to much restriction based on diameter. If your running efans and no longer have the cowl on, the volant has a sharp 90 degree bend right in front of the tb, that I'm sure is not helping things and could be improved on with a expensive custom fabricated intake. I'm still trying to find someone who will fab me a 4.25 diameter intake tube in the area.

If you do a search for like CAI wars or CAI dyno tests you'll see a great thread where the flow rates of the major intakes were tested. I think the GMPP won in this test. The reason i prefer the volant is the ram air ability.

I'm really only familiar with the 03 fuel set up, I'm not sure how the 04 and up regs maintain pressure. Hopefully Zippy or Kevin is still checking in on this post and can help more.

If your looking to save some cash, you should be able to use your stock lines with the LSXRT intake. It looks ok and will save you a ton of money. Figure the new rails and reg are going to be $400 alone, plus the fittings and lines, and i bet your close to another $200. I think there is a recent post were a guy just did this intake and posted a picture of the stock lines on it.

Don't forget injectors, and when buying them make sure you ONLY buy injectors that the tuner has correct files for. By the way who is your tuner

Presently, I am running the K&N CAI but am going to have a custom one fabricated when I get the following items installed....shortly

Fast 102mm LSXRT Intake

NW 102mm TB

Fast LSXRT Fuel Rail Kit

Bosch Flow Matched 42# @ 3 bar injectors

X-Link 2.1

Custom CAI

Re-Tuned...

prestinb (Brandon)

Edited by prestinb (see edit history)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am running stock cowl and clutch fan so I am stuck with 90 degree turn CAI. Presently, I am running the K&N CAI but am going to have a custom one fabricated when I get the following items installed....shortly

Fast 102mm LSXRT Intake

NW 102mm TB

Fast LSXRT Fuel Rail Kit

Bosch Flow Matched 42# @ 3 bar injectors

X-Link 2.1

Custom CAI

Re-Tuned...

prestinb (Brandon)

Are you talking about the green top ford injecters

Wow that's a huge cam. I just installed a fast intake. I found other links for TB adapters but I am unsure of the 85% opening. I will no more soon. Katech has one for 50$ http://store.katechengines.com/throttle-body-adapter-harness-p20.aspx

I was going to do a 4" intake. I want true 4" and cheap. spectre 9900 is cheap and 4" I am not sure if the elbow to the TB is large enough but that's a cheap easy fix.

The fuel rails are nothing but cosmetic. Factory ones are pretty large. I don't think that they are going to be any larger with the fast ones.

NW TB looks cool and is huge. I am not sure if it's worth it over the 90 as your still pulling through 4" tubing and stock MAF. I am still undecided.

Were working backwards I am starting top down. I personally wish I went for heads and a TBSS intake.

Edited by evand (see edit history)

Wow that's a huge cam. I just installed a fast intake. I found other links for TB adapters but I am unsure of the 85% opening. I will no more soon. Katech has one for 50$ http://store.kateche...arness-p20.aspx

I was going to do a 4" intake. I want true 4" and cheap. spectre 9900 is cheap and 4" I am not sure if the elbow to the TB is large enough but that's a cheap easy fix.

The fuel rails are nothing but cosmetic. Factory ones are pretty large. I don't think that they are going to be any larger with the fast ones.

NW TB looks cool and is huge. I am not sure if it's worth it over the 90 as your still pulling through 4" tubing and stock MAF. I am still undecided.

Were working backwards I am starting top down. I personally wish I went for heads and a TBSS intake.

Evand,

The more I read every where the more confused or conflicting information I get. It is like chasing the rabbit down the hole. I know that I have a huge choke point with my stock intake manifold and TB so I am going with the setup listed a couple posts up. It might be more expensive and I might have been able to get close or better with TBSS intake, NNBS intake, or some other intake but I will never know unless I swapped each one out and dynoed it immediately. Thats never going to happen so it will be just fine for me and also look nice. Maybe next year when my funds are replenished...I will change heads but everything should still work together nicely. Thanks for the info and looking forward to hearing your progress...

Please let me know how the harness works out for you too!

prestinb (Brandon)

Are you talking about the green top ford injecters

Shadowsniper3006,

The injectors are often green but not sure if they are ford specific. Also, Modern Muscle has been doing my tuning and have been top notch. They are 4hrs away from me which is often a hassle logistically but worth it when I get my truck back :D

If you have an 04+ non-return fuel system, you can run aftermarket rails without an aftermarket FPR. Your in-tank FPR will supply a "constant pressure".

For your intake manifold, with your cam selection this may be helpful:

1. The bigger the plenum, the better it will perfom at top-end.

2. The smaller the plenum the better it will perform at low to mid range.

3. The longer the runners the better it will perfom at low-end.

4. The shorter the runners the better it will perform at WOT.

5. The bigger the intake runner the better WOT performance.

6. The smaller the runner the better low-end performance.

Looking at all the graphs in mags and on the net, reading all the multiple forum bitchin' about what intake performs the best and so on is really sour in my mind. If you use the above guide and apply it to your specific cam and driving style / goals, you should do well.

With your cam choice, the FAST LSXRT is a good choice.

As for CAI, the least amount of bends, the better. The smoother the bends, the better The tubing should be at least as wide as the TB opening. The biggest filter area the better. And of course, a cold air source is better than underhood air. This is all in my opinion. :pepsicheer:

If you have an 04+ non-return fuel system, you can run aftermarket rails without an aftermarket FPR. Your in-tank FPR will supply a "constant pressure".

For your intake manifold, with your cam selection this may be helpful:

1. The bigger the plenum, the better it will perfom at top-end.

2. The smaller the plenum the better it will perform at low to mid range.

3. The longer the runners the better it will perfom at low-end.

4. The shorter the runners the better it will perform at WOT.

5. The bigger the intake runner the better WOT performance.

6. The smaller the runner the better low-end performance.

Looking at all the graphs in mags and on the net, reading all the multiple forum bitchin' about what intake performs the best and so on is really sour in my mind. If you use the above guide and apply it to your specific cam and driving style / goals, you should do well.

With your cam choice, the FAST LSXRT is a good choice.

As for CAI, the least amount of bends, the better. The smoother the bends, the better The tubing should be at least as wide as the TB opening. The biggest filter area the better. And of course, a cold air source is better than underhood air. This is all in my opinion. :pepsicheer:

Thanks Krambo! Based on looking at my dyno chart, does it look like the FAST LSXRT and NW TB will add more power (HP&TQ) under the curve throughout or is it just most likely only going to add power up high? This question is also based on the cam I have installed too...

prestinb (Brandon)

I think krambo worded it best. LSXRT is nice for performance even untuned and wearing my stock TB I can feel a difference. The install was a major pain and it is much louder than stock.

Evand,

Are you saying that the intake sound is much louder with the LSXRT? Also...speaking of loud...I just replaced my Magnaflow cat-back exhaust with a Corsa Sport cat-back. The Magna-flow muffler's weld rusted out and the back fell out that was connected to the tailpipe...I was under the impression they were 304SS...i guess not. Anyway, the Corsa stands up to the claim of not having any drone whatsoever...but it literally screams and carries very far. With my mods I may have to get the touring muffler...time will tell.

prestinb (Brandon)

Evand,

Are you saying that the intake sound is much louder with the LSXRT? Also...speaking of loud...I just replaced my Magnaflow cat-back exhaust with a Corsa Sport cat-back. The Magna-flow muffler's weld rusted out and the back fell out that was connected to the tailpipe...I was under the impression they were 304SS...i guess not. Anyway, the Corsa stands up to the claim of not having any drone whatsoever...but it literally screams and carries very far. With my mods I may have to get the touring muffler...time will tell.

prestinb (Brandon)

Before you go muffler crazy try and block off the rear cab vent on the passenger side. That really allows sound into the truck.

evanpics1330.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us I stuck a little dynamat over the passenger side one

Then finished off behind the rear seat.

evanpics1356.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Greatly reduced drone. Drive around with your engine covers off you will hear the engine much more add the fast then it makes much more of a sucking sound. This is my work truck. I am a pharmacist. I can not be too ghetto.

Nitrous is all hidden, Sub is on a switch I turn it off with passengers.

Edited by evand (see edit history)

Before you go muffler crazy try and block off the rear cab vent on the passenger side. That really allows sound into the truck.

evanpics1330.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us I stuck a little dynamat over the passenger side one

Then finished off behind the rear seat.

evanpics1356.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Greatly reduced drone. Drive around with your engine covers off you will hear the engine much more add the fast then it makes much more of a sucking sound. This is my work truck. I am a pharmacist. I can not be too ghetto.

Nitrous is all hidden, Sub is on a switch I turn it off with passengers.

Evand,

Great info and thanks for the pictures! I am not complaining about the sound inside that cabin at all...the Corsa Sport exhaust has much less interior noise (including no drone) than my Magnaflow until I get on it. It then becomes a completely different exhaust note. I was considering changing mufflers simply to quiet the exhaust note outside...but the more I drive it, the more it makes me grin. WOT sings like nothing I have heard before...a friend of mine says it sounds like a Can-Am car. After I get my additional parts installed, I will post the dyno run video again so everyone can hear the difference between the two exhaust systems.

prestinb (Brandon)

• 2 months later...

Latest Update:

Truck is still in the shop getting additional goodies installed. Presently I am adding a Tony Mamo ported FAST LSXRT, FAST Fuel Rails, NW 102 TB, X-Link, 42lb injectors, and Custom 4.25" CAI. It has not been dyno tuned yet but my installer sent me a few photos as the install progressed. I will post up dyno numbers once I have them.

IMG_5931.jpg

IMG_5930.jpg

IMG_5929.jpg

prestinb (Brandon)

where did you get the parts for the custom 4.25 intake? I've went around to a number of fabricators in my area and no one wants to make me a custom intake tube.

I just asked my installer to fabricate one...they said no problem and provided what you see in the pics. If you need their information just PM me and I can help you out. pepsicheer.gif

prestinb (Brandon)