Help Me Love My Ss Again!

diggerdan11

So I have had my SS for 5 years now and I will be paying it off in a couple months. I dont have a ton of miles on it (im pushing 83k), but Im starting to think it may be time for something else. But im hoping maybe you guys can convince me to keep it. My original plan was to keep driving the SS for a few more year, keeping it but then buying something else and have the SS as a play toy, but now im starting to think that may not be the best idea.

Like I said its almost paid off. Without going into to much detail on my finances, It will be a huge savings for me when its paid off. I own my house outright but it needs lots of work, so my wife and I are in the process of taking out a HELOC on the house so we can do some remodeling and upgrades. Also with the HELOC money I will be consolidating Debt, which means I will be paying off the my wifes Tahoe and our Credit Debt (its not a ton but its still debt), So I will own My SS, and Tahoe outright and have not Credit Card Debt and have a HELOC payment that is going to be less than $300 a month which of course is a huge savings over my current installment payment. The plan with the house is to do some remodeling and we are planning on selling it in about 4 years. Hopefully by then the economy and the housing market will turn around. I took a huge pay cut to take my current job, I took and entry position that will lead to a much better paying job (twice my current pay) but for me to get promoted both the economy and the housing market will have to be much better.

My wife is going to go back to College and get an accounting degree (hopefully starting January), and I will have to be debt free (except the small HELOC payment) in order to get buy, Money is going to be really tight, especially if I stay in my current position and my wife cant find a part time job that helps cover expenses.

Now back to my truck:

It has 83k miles on it which means that things are going to start to go wrong. I am currently having and issue with my Air bag, Im going to need New tires, probably going to need new brakes soon, the engine needs a tune up, the Transmission needs to be flushed, and the power steering unit has a minor leak in it, and im sure many more things might start going wrong. With my wife going back to school money is going to be very tight and I really dont know if I can afford to fix some of these issues. And I would hate to use the HELOC money to fix my truck since that money is really needed for the house.

If I was to trade in my truck right now I could get about $17k for it, if I sold it outright I could get close to $20k (not bad seeing is I paid 27k for it 5 years ago). A local dealership in town has a 2008 Silverado EC 4x4 with the 5.3 its not loaded but had nice options and only 61k miles on it and they are asking $21k for it and I may be able to get them down to around $19k. So it would be a pretty good deal to have a car with 20k less miles and still be debt free (it will take be 3 years to put 20k more miles on it)

Here are some pros and cons about both trucks

SS

Pros: I love the power of my SS. I have spent a lot of time and money making the SS my own. It loaded with options the NNBS does not have. It does great in the snow.

Cons: I cant take the SS hunting, or camping off road. Im always so afraid of getting it dirty or getting it scratched. Terrible MPGs. Things are going to need to be fixed on it.

2008 Silverado

Pros: True 4x4, with the ability to take off road. Better MPGs. Still under Warranty (drive train). Less miles usually equals less problems. Brand new tires.

Cons: Not as many options as my SS. Its stock with no me modifications. Bench seat ( I usually like buckets). Its and EC and not a CC, I would prefer a CC but Hate the short bed. Lacking in power that im use to

Sorry about the long post, im just trying to figure out what to do. I dont want to just jump into buying a new truck and then kick myself for getting rid of the SS. But I dont know if I want to be stuck with my SS and have to pay for a bunch of expensive repairs

Edited by diggerdan11 (see edit history)

Pay the Silverado off, and keep it as a toy. Buy you a beater truck to do that stuff in. The deer, turkey, elk, what ever you shoot, is not going to care what its dead carcass is riding in once it is dead. Just a thought from one hunter to another.

Keep it bro. Doing house fixes are always fun and interesting and learning all that junk. I am looking at a beater (97 Ranger with 110k miles, Im trying to get the guy to a 2nd set of rims for it). Perfect little beater that wont get me any speeding tickets and easy on gas. But when I need to get my speed and cornering fix, SS will crawl outta hiding.

I see 3 options here. First option is you selling your SS. You are going to be out a 2-3 grand, you wont have an SS anymore, and you will only have gained about 2 years of truck life.

Option 2, you keep your SS, spend the 1-2 grand and get your tires, tune up, other problems fixed, and you will still be giving yourself a few added years of driving, plus you will still have your SS.

Option3, keep your SS, buy a little beater for 2-3 grand, and fix your SS up over time.

I vote for option 2 or maybe even 3 if your situation permits. Your SS just needs a little bit of TLC and it will be running like a top. Our trucks are special, they require a little bit of special attention. You knew this when you got it 5 years ago. This is not just a truck, it's a relationship.

Pay the Silverado off, and keep it as a toy. Buy you a beater truck to do that stuff in. The deer, turkey, elk, what ever you shoot, is not going to care what its dead carcass is riding in once it is dead. Just a thought from one hunter to another.

That is an idea. That same dealership has a 1991 Ford Bronco with only 29k miles one it (im going to call and confirm if that is the real mialage or a typo) for $2,750, that would be a badass huting rig, and do great in the snow.

I also do have access to my Grandpas 1978 Chevy pickup. I live next to my granparents and he never drives it. It get like 9 Gas stations per mile but it only has 42k miles on it.

If I WERE you, I'd sell the SS and get something cheaper, maybe in the 12k (give or take) range. Then use that extra money to put the wife through college and deal with other expenses until she gets a part time job.

Yeah i have been thinkg about that as well, but its hard to find a truck in that range without haveing a zillion miles on it. I could also drive the Tahoe and buy my wife a Subaru. It would do great in the snow, get much better MPGs than the Hoe, and We could find one with 150k miles on it and its just starting to get broke in. Subarus go forever.

I see 3 options here. First option is you selling your SS. You are going to be out a 2-3 grand, you wont have an SS anymore, and you will only have gained about 2 years of truck life.

Option 2, you keep your SS, spend the 1-2 grand and get your tires, tune up, other problems fixed, and you will still be giving yourself a few added years of driving, plus you will still have your SS.

Option3, keep your SS, buy a little beater for 2-3 grand, and fix your SS up over time.

I vote for option 2 or maybe even 3 if your situation permits. Your SS just needs a little bit of TLC and it will be running like a top. Our trucks are special, they require a little bit of special attention. You knew this when you got it 5 years ago. This is not just a truck, it's a relationship.

Yeah i would probably be better off spending the 2-3k on a beeter, like the Bronco i mentioned above.

Take it out in the yard on a nice bright day. Spend an hour or two doing a quick clean and scrub down. Then stand back for 30 seconds and watch the sun gleam off of it. You'll realize you own one of the most beautiful trucks ever made. Thats when i realize i will never part with this truck, no matter how much I think about getting rid of it. Works for me EVERYTIME, seriously.

^^Yeah I agree, these sound like some good plans. The SS is definitely a special truck just do a bit of work to it and keep driving it, the new truck won't gain you anything IMO.

Go on the freeway and go WOT and presto instant love again... lol I'd say keep it these trucks aren't to easy to get I had to drive two hours just to get mine

iamwithstupid.gif This guys got it right. Sometimes when I start noticing all the little noises that make my OCD got crazy I WOT her and i'm grinning ear to ear!

Mod something and it'll bring your interest back, trust me.

The only problem is money is tight, and its really going to be tight when my wife goes back to school. That being said. I was planning ont painting the overhead console and the other trim peices that are that tan color, and color match them with the rest of the interior. I already have the paint so that would be cheap, but i need to do it fast before it get to cold in my garage and the paint wont stick properly.

I also have money set aside to get a new head unit for my truck, and maybe and IPOD (since mine were stolen almost 2 years ago), i have been just puting off buying it.

Pretty much in the same boat. Mine is up for sale. Mines been paid off for over a year now. Don't get me wrong I love the ss but there getting older. There is other things out there that are better. I know everyone might say keep the truck but hey if it frees up $$$$ its better in the long run.

But hey good luck on your decision.

your ss will be fine, i say keep it. heres why. personally my truck has 167k miles on it and NOTHING has gone wrong.. KNOCK ON WOOD!!! yea you could buy the Z71 but you could be trading one problem for another. my dad had a 2004 2500hd when it hit 36,xxx miles transmission went on it. with the SS it is paid off, theres no better feeling than not having a car payment. i agree with everyone else buy you a little beater truck to go hunting in. trust me you will not want to take a newer Z71 out in the woods to get scratched and dirty. i would worry about the wife in college, the house, then the truck. don't feel like you have to get something at this very moment. if you like all the features in your SS you probably won't care for the interior in the nnbs. they are pretty cheap and unless it's an LTZ package it looks crappy IMO. your money your truck your bills thats my 2 cents goodluck figuring it out man