57 Bel Air Two Door Sedan Build

BlueAKSSS

man its coming along matt. i agree that color will look bad ass with the trim and the right wheels. do you know what that color came on factory from gm, and whats your reasoning for going with it? (great choice)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

man its coming along matt. i agree that color will look bad ass with the trim and the right wheels. do you know what that color came on factory from gm, and whats your reasoning for going with it? (great choice)

Thanks its been a lot of work to get to this point! The color was offered from 2003-2007 and it came on a number of different models I know for sure that it was available on 2003 regular silverados my dad had one in this color and it looked awesome. My reasoning for going with the color is well just that I thought it would look awesome on the lines of the 57 and to let the tail fins, chrome trim, and trim inserts do there work and let the color be kinda understated. It really makes the car look meaner too haha. The wheels I had on it should match the paint too I think, since there grey with polished lips. I would like to go to a 17" wheel on it though.

Definitely an awesome color choice. Excellent work, Matt!

Thanks Lefty! I think so too!

My reasoning for going with the color is well just that I thought it would look awesome on the lines of the 57 and to let the tail fins, chrome trim, and trim inserts do there work and let the color be kinda understated. It really makes the car look meaner too haha.

I think you are going to be spot on. Once you get the chrome back on that bad boy, that color is just going to explode. :thumbs:

Matt

You Son of a ......

Wow, looking great. You picked a great color. Ill pop over to TRIFIVE and check it out.

Btw: Whose quarter panel sheetmetal did you buy? which brand?

Hahahaha! Thanks! pepsicheer.gif Yeah trifive site has many more updates than this thread does! I still can't believe I got the entire body painted. Now I'm working on rebuilding up the chassis hoping to sand blast it and add some structure to the stock frame......

The quarter panel sheet metal is from a place called restoration world at the time I went with them because they seemed like the cheapest. Not sure on the brand of the metal either but it was well stamped and used to have stickers which said the brand but I sanded them right off lol. The other thing is I used a hardtop quarter panel and turned it into a sedan style so that required some messing with. It would have been much better to get a full sedan quarter panel if available.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the stripped down frame clean up a bit more and then started applying POR 15 and it came out great! The plan is to use one of POR's products thats a topcoat for the POR called Chassiscoat I think. POR by itself is not UV resistent and after some years of exposure it could fade out to flat. The topcoat will prevent that. Have to wait till monday to go to the paint store to buy the topcoat and apply.

2012-01-28_20-29-25_733Large.jpg

DSC_0617Large.jpg

DSC_0616Large.jpg

DSC_0615Large.jpg

DSC_0614Large.jpg

DSC_0613Large.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for bumping the thread back up I forgot to keep it updated with my build thread on Trifive.com

Here's the latest from last weekend:

Well tonight me and some friends decided it was time to put the body onto its new frame and I did just about everything I could to the frame before needing to put the body on. So I did some final things to the frame and then we moved it down my driveway from the main upper garage down to the paint booth where the body has been stored on the rotisserie since I painted it. It was kind of a trick as the driveway melted from a random warm up we had then froze again into a sheet of ice! Had to be very carefully to not let the frame and engine get away. Anyways it made it down to the paint booth. Then we proceeded to lift the body off the rotisserie to the ceiling with cargo straps. Worked out quite well but it was pretty sketchy. Anyways here's some pictures of the process.

2012-02-10_20-23-50_390Large.jpg

2012-02-10_20-23-56_718Large.jpg

2012-02-10_20-24-10_448Large.jpg

2012-02-10_20-24-17_133Large.jpg

2012-02-10_20-38-18_842Large.jpg

2012-02-10_20-38-28_156Large.jpg

2012-02-10_20-55-36_915Large.jpg

This picture reminds me of how the body must have been put on at the factory on October 9th 1956 in Kansas City, MO. I'm sure it wasn't with screwy cargo straps but still pretty cool to think about.

Edited by Matt* (see edit history)

Here's some more of it after we got it all lowered on! It was really tricky...

DSC_0665Large.jpg

The car looks and feels soo much different now that it back on the frame. Sits pretty low now with the stock replacement rear shackles.

DSC_0666Large.jpg

DSC_0667Large.jpg

DSC_0668Large.jpg

DSC_0669Large.jpg

^Here you can see the engine to firewall clearance is very tight but it clears.... Just barely...

DSC_0670Large.jpg

More progress, I aligned the body up with all its mounts on the new frame and bolted it on with the new plated grade 8 bolts! Then proceeded to roll it out into the light for the first time for its icy trip to the garage. Had to tow it up the hill with my truck but we made it! I'm super excited to see it in this stage!!

DSC_0691Large.jpg

DSC_0693Large.jpg

DSC_0699Large.jpg

DSC_0701Large.jpg