How Does Lowering Truck Effect Towing

dgrov3r

I havent figured out the search feature very well apparently im sure this is covered but im wondering if i do shackles and spindles how much it will effect my towing capacity and how it rides with it. I only tow 2 sleds at the most usually would be heaviest so i dont think ill have a problem there im just curious

Also just got some jdm switchback parking lamps and some 5w6 ohm resistors. There was a thread about these not to long ago and im not sure if he ever ended up explaining how to installl resistors and where. Do you just cut the "hot" and put the resistor between it

Had mine lowered 3" in the back using only shackles on stock shocks and towed a 4200lb trailer with a 420lb hitch weight. I had no problems whatsoever. I did find that the rated hitch weight and the payload capacity were reduced but did not effect overall performance. Hell, I even carried a 1.5 ton load of rocks in the back and never once bottomed out.

Edited by Lefty (see edit history)

Agreed with all the above. Only piece of info I would add is tire width. If you're gonna tow don't go wider than a 285. Cuz even with a c-notch and helper bags you could hit bumps and/or driveways/intersections where your suspension must travel beyond the "help" of a helper bag and into that c-notched area and rub thus damaging your fender and shredding your tire.

Also shackles/spindles is gonna equal you a 2" front and 2" rear drop keeping your slight factory rake. If you stay with just rear shackles make sure you trim down your rear bump stops a nub or two. My above response was too a 3/4 drop. My mistake I read your thread wrong.

Edited by Bad Ass Silvy (see edit history)

How about twisting the keys? ... If i had a set of shackles for 50 bucks that gave me 2" i would only need an inch in the front do they really hurt your truck that bad for just an inch?

I know that decranking the keys is what most do, but IMHO the ride is horrible by doing so, and this will lower your towing capacity of the front axle. You are better off getting GM purple keys from an HD truck. They will give you the drop you want with out the sloppy ride. JMHOP