My 2003 May Have To Go

xlman

It's been a long, long time since I've been on the forum - although I check out the site every once in a while. I was one of the FIRST to proudly roll down the highway with a Silverado SS - - - got mine when they first came out. Now my 2003 still gets second and third looks, but it's getting tougher and tougher to keep her looking as good as new. And, mechanically, I'm running into some expensive repairs. For teh past couple of years I have been hoping against hope that Chevy would announce a new round of these gems - but alas, nothing seems to be coming forth.

I think it's time to get something newer - - - but I dread doing it - - - nothing will compare to the fun ride I've had with my '03 SS.

Any news on them reviving this model would be welcome in my world - - :sigh:

Without spending an arm and a leg and getting a reg cab and having the 427 ss conversion done, a sierra denali is the way to go imo. You get the 400+ hp 6.2L and the awd option and all the creature comforts in a good looking truck. I also really with GM would wise up and put out a reg cab ss.

I dont think their will be another SS truck, period. I was told they threw around the SS badge way too much and wont do so again. Vehicles starting in 2003 with the Impala, Cobalt, Monte Carlo, HHR, and the others I cannot name. I only see them doing bigger and better engines for work applications on work trucks and the Denali will be your only choice, and I find those ugly, they dont seperate themselves from any other Sierra imo.

Id keep the SS and just wait for better mods to come. I personally cannot stand that Fastlane SS. Id rather have the real thing than a copy. Plus with the ECSB you wont be flipping nearly as easily.

To the OP-do yourself a favor and go drive a new Sierra Denali...They have quite a bit of power and more creature comforts than the SS ever thought about...I like mine quite a bit but will most likely be parting ways with in a few months...

Thanks for the sentiments guys .............. my wife would probably be the only one to disagree with keeping the '03 SS .............. I've been contemplating that right along. I really love that truck - more fun - and more proud - when driving that truck than any other vehicle I've ever had - and I've had a lot !!

Sorry I can't take the time to send along a picture - but from 10 feet away, my "Black Beauty" still looks fantastic! It has 64,000 miles - and never had a major dent or ding (just some scratches along the way). When I first got it, I bit my fingers all the way up to the knuckles while I witnessed a local outfit cut a hole in the roof for a sunroof. It came out perfectly - and is still working to this day. A local body shop took the grill and lower air screens out and painted them BLACK - - looks great. I also bought one of those "SS" bow tie grill emblems that some guy on this site put out - Chevy should have thought of that one from the get-go.

I love this truck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY won't they make another ????? :(

I bought the first sss my local dealer had back in 03 and have felt the same way recently. (thought about selling it several times) I believe I have more thumbs ups and compilments now then I ever have. At less someone comes to me with a nice cash offer, I plan on keeping mine.

I really love that truck - more fun - and more proud - when driving that truck than any other vehicle I've ever had - and I've had a lot !!

I really agree with you. I have had a LOT of cars, and even currently own an '09 Corvette. But when I drive the truck, it somehow feels special. Don't know quite what it is. Is it because we take extra special care of them? Is it because they are relatively rare? Don't know... But I'm glad I have held onto mine. :chevy:

Edit: Also, wouldn't it be really easy for Chevy to take the options from the Sierra Denali and package it into a new SS? Just sayin'...

Edited by Hankg42 (see edit history)

.......I really love that truck - more fun - and more proud - when driving that truck than any other vehicle I've ever had - and I've had a lot !!..........

.........I love this truck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......

To the OP, read your above statements, they say it all........................................keep the truck. :chevy:

Ive driven the new Denali's and was not impressed. I would go buy an older SS anyday, hands down. If I wanted a 2nd truck Id do it like Chase did. The Denali's are too generic unlike the SS had to be shipped by railroad to a 2nd company to do all the SS related stuff like cladding. :chevrolet:

Guest JasonHensley22

I see ya'll are saying they won't make another SS truck anytime soon, but is there any proof to back this up? They have made concepts like the 427 SS and it seemed they got close with the Colorado SS, sooo maybe they will? I actually hope they don't, that would make our trucks more special in the long haul.

I can honestly say that I regret selling my SSS to @JasonHensley22 almost every day. I replaced it with a Sierra Denali to more comfortably support the family needs. There is just no comparison. The SSS embodied a mood, a style, a feeling...none of which can be replaced. Like kc said, the Denali has a lot of creature comforts and is a really nice ride. It just does not invoke the same desire to drive it as the SSS did. I looked forward to getting in a driving to/from work, around town, and on the highway. Far and away, it was my favorite vehicle ever owned. The SD is just another truck... If I had to do it over again, I would not sell it.

FWIW xlman, keep it. Your thoughts already indicate that you'll be in the same boat as me and will regret the decision to sell it (especially if you sell it local and the guy joins SilveradoSS.com and parades your old ride around for you to see all the time. :crackup: j/k Jason, I love that you are as enthusiastic about the truck as I was).

I see ya'll are saying they won't make another SS truck anytime soon, but is there any proof to back this up? They have made concepts like the 427 SS and it seemed they got close with the Colorado SS, sooo maybe they will? I actually hope they don't, that would make our trucks more special in the long haul.

AFAIK, it was rumored that the 427SS concept was detroyed by GM.........and by destroyed, I mean they crushed it. :uhoh: