Tvs 2300 Update!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HIs conveter on the drag radials is flashing from dead idle to about 3400 which is about perfect. His Circle D was supposed to be a 2600 or so an flashed to 4k or so and was looser than a good whore. The Vigilante is as tight as they could get it without going to diesel specs and it's awesome. To get 10's he'll need a 60' in the 1.5's which will come as soon as the fuel pressure is fixed. Once his fuel pressure is taken care of I expect a 10.9 to 11.2 pass to happen. Keep in mind this is only using the 3.2" front pulley. The IAT's still climb 50 degrees during the run, but alot of air is moving through. At stock weight with the fuel pressure fixed he'd already have a 10.9 pass. I still hold to this day that this is my opinion of the best setup in an SSS. It seriously idles and drives great with it's small cam, tight converter, and very big torque even when not in boost as it is a 408 with 10.3:1 compression.

Awesome work you guys have done on this combo. What is the deal with Circle D? They couldn't get it tight enough or why did you switch to the Vigilante? I had the same problem with them with my radix. First converter was wayyyyy over 4000. They ended up having to go to a bigger converter housing (they took care of me though), but it still was too loose. Wanted 2800 and got 3200-3300. I just had them tighten it 400 rpm and it still feels too loose. I'm going to the track next weekend so I'll know what it does then but a little unhappy. I told him I really wanted it to stall around 2600 - 2800 max. I'm really worried now because I'm going to be doing a big inch motor and bigger blower probably starting this fall....So you want them that loose (3400) for a combo like his? Or would it do better down in the 2800 range?

What 60's were these 11.4X runs? What is the issue with the fuel pressure that is causing the 60's to be off?

3.2 pulley? What boost is that making and how does it compare to Supersub's setup? What do the IAT's get to? Can this setup benefit from that larger intercooler (under blower) that is made by???

I appreciate what you guys are doing. I love the way my truck drives and I daily drive it 365 days a year (30,000+ miles a year). I can hardly imagine what it would feel like with the big cubes and bigger blower!!! Best setup for a SSS indeed! peelout.gif

Ok, maybe I'm smoking crack, but could I get something like this setup to work with a 4L65e.........It has billet input and output shafts from RPM transmission along with all of the other mods........Thanks Zippy/Adam!!!!

HIs conveter on the drag radials is flashing from dead idle to about 3400 which is about perfect. His Circle D was supposed to be a 2600 or so an flashed to 4k or so and was looser than a good whore. The Vigilante is as tight as they could get it without going to diesel specs and it's awesome. To get 10's he'll need a 60' in the 1.5's which will come as soon as the fuel pressure is fixed. Once his fuel pressure is taken care of I expect a 10.9 to 11.2 pass to happen. Keep in mind this is only using the 3.2" front pulley. The IAT's still climb 50 degrees during the run, but alot of air is moving through. At stock weight with the fuel pressure fixed he'd already have a 10.9 pass. I still hold to this day that this is my opinion of the best setup in an SSS. It seriously idles and drives great with it's small cam, tight converter, and very big torque even when not in boost as it is a 408 with 10.3:1 compression.

If I understood PI right. the converter they made me is the tightest converter they make lol. On the street it drives like stock but still flashes to 3400 off idle when I go WOT. They simply can't make the converter tighter without going to diesel components or going to a larger diameter converter. Mines 10.5 inches with a six bolt cover and it does run good. maybe I'll take a video of it driving around town one of these days. Anyways If you go with the setup you plan on going if you want a true 2800 stall your going to need a big converter maybe 12-13inchs? The truck just make too much torque and the weight of the truck doesn't help either. I must say tho that this PI makes the world of difference off the line and up top.

Why didn't you give Circle D another chance? Was that they tightest they could make it or? My truck (I'm pretty sure) is still flashing over 3000 on the launch (I'll know for sure next weekend) and that is with a wuzzy 155,000 6.0 and radix! When I cruise around at low rpms/low speeds, it wants to rev up around 2000 rpm if you give it moderate gas (not heavy), but decent accel at lower cruise conditions. Hope that makes sense---lol! I'd love to see a video of yours cruising around and then standing on it :-)

If I understood PI right. the converter they made me is the tightest converter they make lol. On the street it drives like stock but still flashes to 3400 off idle when I go WOT. They simply can't make the converter tighter without going to diesel components or going to a larger diameter converter. Mines 10.5 inches with a six bolt cover and it does run good. maybe I'll take a video of it driving around town one of these days. Anyways If you go with the setup you plan on going if you want a true 2800 stall your going to need a big converter maybe 12-13inchs? The truck just make too much torque and the weight of the truck doesn't help either. I must say tho that this PI makes the world of difference off the line and up top.

I still have the converter. Since I'm In Canada I always have to wait 2-3 weeks to get things. So what I did was send my PI converter down to PI and have them do the work on it so I could still drive my truck. I also had Ray build me a new transmission that way I could have a spare. So now I have a spare 4L80e and converter if I ever blow it up. That being said, now that I have the PI in the truck is a whole new animal. The STR is higher than the circle-d so it leaves a lot harder out of the hole. I have nothing against circle-d as they do make a bomb proof converter. My setup just seems to like the PI more. Im having my circle-d sent down to be re-stalled and keep it for a backup.

Adam

Interesting comment about the STR.......I was on the fence about that when I ended up going with the Circle D. It was between Circle D and Yank at the time. I thought PI's had problems with the hubs breaking????

I did run a PI in my mustang back in the day and I loved it......

I still have the converter. Since I'm In Canada I always have to wait 2-3 weeks to get things. So what I did was send my PI converter down to PI and have them do the work on it so I could still drive my truck. I also had Ray build me a new transmission that way I could have a spare. So now I have a spare 4L80e and converter if I ever blow it up. That being said, now that I have the PI in the truck is a whole new animal. The STR is higher than the circle-d so it leaves a lot harder out of the hole. I have nothing against circle-d as they do make a bomb proof converter. My setup just seems to like the PI more. Im having my circle-d sent down to be re-stalled and keep it for a backup.

Adam

I'll let you know how it holds man. I won't lie to you. We are all truck/car enthuziust so I'll tell you what I've learned as learn. I've been screwed over enough times so I try to help people as much as I can.

If I was you I'd build your motor and run it. The 65e won't last long so your going to have to make a decision on weather you should sell it while it is working or go to a 4l80e or keep rebuilding the 65e. Ray built my transmission and its holding up great and his price was very good. If you ever do the 4l80e swap feel free to contact me and I'll try and give you a had on parts you'll need.

Adam

I think the 65E could handle it, but at this torque level you'd be more nervous of it breaking at every track outing. I would recomend the re-gearing of it as the 3.06 first gear will cause traction problems at that torque level. The fuel pressure issue is an issue with his fuel system and no baffling. He'll have that fixed over the winter, until then more fuel in the tank on raceday will be a bandaid. Something is causing a volume issue the rest of the track after the launch, but that will also be fixed. The 3400 is right about where the launch needs to be with this setup. With an 80E you need to get closer torque peak to get a good launch. The Circle D converters have been great in the 65's, but not that great in 80E's. They also have been great in N/A trucks, but not so much in supercharged trucks. I like them, but not for this application. As for the intercooler, one step at a time...

Thanks Adam! That is really cool and is appreciated. Very cool that so many on here are willing to help out and basically make a better experience of modding these trucks. I have a mustang that I'm putting together that should run in the high 7's. It is a ton of work and is exciting, but honestly if it wasn't for the ridiculous amount of money I've already spent, I would probably just sell it or make it more of a street car again. While it is still street legal, it really more setup for the track (25.5 cage, etc) so the time I get to actually enjoy it is limited to say the least (and that is with it running--lol). The last time I had it out with a much milder combo, it went 9.20 at 150mph. I should have left it alone at that time........That was 07 and now at 40 years old, I'm busy with business and family and honestly have more fun with the truck. My friends bust my stones for wasting money on it instead of my race car, but I spend so much time in it and it's so much fun (spirited driver), that is why I do it. Your truck is my ideal of a best of both worlds scenario. If that truck can go 10's and still be smooth and daily driven.....it doesn't get much better then that imo! Of course, the adrenaline rush of a 1.2 60 foot is nothing to scoff at either... happy.gif

Nice job, can't wait to see where you end up this year.

I'll let you know how it holds man. I won't lie to you. We are all truck/car enthuziust so I'll tell you what I've learned as learn. I've been screwed over enough times so I try to help people as much as I can.

If I was you I'd build your motor and run it. The 65e won't last long so your going to have to make a decision on weather you should sell it while it is working or go to a 4l80e or keep rebuilding the 65e. Ray built my transmission and its holding up great and his price was very good. If you ever do the 4l80e swap feel free to contact me and I'll try and give you a had on parts you'll need.

Adam

Edited by slowfive0 (see edit history)

Cool, great info---thanks. Isn't that regearing about 1000 bucks for the parts only?

As far as the fuel, would a surge tank be the best bet if you're starting fresh like I am? Thanks Zippy!

I think the 65E could handle it, but at this torque level you'd be more nervous of it breaking at every track outing. I would recomend the re-gearing of it as the 3.06 first gear will cause traction problems at that torque level. The fuel pressure issue is an issue with his fuel system and no baffling. He'll have that fixed over the winter, until then more fuel in the tank on raceday will be a bandaid. Something is causing a volume issue the rest of the track after the launch, but that will also be fixed. The 3400 is right about where the launch needs to be with this setup. With an 80E you need to get closer torque peak to get a good launch. The Circle D converters have been great in the 65's, but not that great in 80E's. They also have been great in N/A trucks, but not so much in supercharged trucks. I like them, but not for this application. As for the intercooler, one step at a time...

I wonder if its sucking the supply line empty....is there a venturi on the basket still? There were some guys on the GTO/G8 board who were saying that you could use up all the fuel in the lines in 10 sec of WOT.

Shawn keep me posted if you are hitting the track, I need to get out and dont want to be the only sss.