Spoke to FLP today...

How much boost were you at when you launched?

No boost at launch (can't get that much into the go pedal), but the second I release the brake and go to WOT I'm at 3psi.

I'm definately wanting a strong 2800-3000 stall converter.

I'm going to drive my wife crazy with all my waffling about the tranny. Back to thinking "might as well" on the FLP. I checked some other big tranny makers (BD Performance for one, who specializes in building trannies to handle super modified diesels) and they all make FLP look cheap - BD wants $5K!!

Still haven't hook up with Rossler -- I have to call them from work, so its tough.

I wish I could find a tranny shop in Orlando that gave me confidence...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stall, shift kit, and the biggest damn cooler you can fit in there and it will do okay for quite a while. I'd also look into getting an ATF specially formulated to grip, so you get less slip in your clutches - just a suggestion. There must be a reason they all say to not use non-synthetic fluid. I think synthetic fluid is fine up to a certain amount of power/torque, however I don't pretend to know about such things.

Thanks Zippy - our internet is acting up here at work...

I spoke to Carl Rossler directly, which I liked. Rossler Transmissions makes the trannys used by Ligenfelter in all their vehicles.

I'd be getting the same transmission work, the only hang ups are: 1) price ($2695 plus any electronics that are bad or any hard parts that are not included -- add ~$500 for an M300 billet input shaft), 2) I'd have to pull my tranny, ship it to him, wait for the build up, ship it back and reinstall. Probably an extra $300-350 in shipping, not to mention the down time.

Cool stuff: Rossler doesn't just replace GM parts with other GM parts -- I mean he does that where applicable, but also fabricates custom parts that are not sold to anyone else. For example, they make clutch discs with 20% more area - net effect 11disc performance from 9 discs.

When I asked what parts I'd get for the $2695, I don't think he liked it a lot. He said you get "the best you can get", but that he isn't into listing every little part to make a big long list. He is going to fax me an estimate that includes the major stuff sometime today, though, so I can at least get a better idea of what he does.

Here's the info (typed verbatim):

4L65E Street & Strip Specs. Stage (can't read it but think it says 3 or 6)

-Modify lube circuit

-modify pump to hp specs

-high rpm pump slide spring

-hp 3-4 9/clutch pack

-hp reinforce mounting lugs 2nd gear band 18% more holding power then normal hp type bands

-modify for bearing kit ring gear support hub, eliminates brass washer wear

-heavy duty sungear shell prevents breakage at spline

-reprogram valve body ross/lock {tm}

-install ross/lock {tm} 3/4 clutch kit 20% more surface area then normal HP 9 clutch

-4th gear billet servo

-2nd gear sprag

-13 vain pump rotor

yeah, that was pretty much what i got ou of him. very nice guy, talked to him a couple of times. pretty much though they feel if you call them you aren't bargin shopping, but going for the best. i'm not knocking other trans companies, but they have a big reputation to back up their work and are very proud of that.

yeah, that was pretty much what i got ou of him. very nice guy, talked to him a couple of times. pretty much though they feel if you call them you aren't bargin shopping, but going for the best. i'm not knocking other trans companies, but they have a big reputation to back up their work and are very proud of that.

What I really liked, is big reputation or not, the guy who helps you spec out your tranny is The Man. You pay for it by holding, but really, so what? It's great to know have access like that, IMO.

My big question: Does the list he gives compare to the FLP list? You have to assume all the stock -> stock freshen ups, because I asked him not to include those (since everyone does them and the parts are the same).

How the heck can you evaluate a tranny anyway? Durability and performance, as with any other street part, but how do you evaluate the performance of a auto tranny?

Now, if only I could get away with charging what FLP does...........

Joe

i thought that you already did??? :wtf:

well, the only time my prices are that high is if i provide the stall converter. my price also includes installation.i use the same parts as FLP and have the same experience. i can't justify charging someone the prices they do, especially without installation.

Now, if only I could get away with charging what FLP does...........

Joe

i thought that you already did??? :wtf:

well, the only time my prices are that high is if i provide the stall converter. my price also includes installation.i use the same parts as FLP and have the same experience. i can't justify charging someone the prices they do, especially without installation.

I can definately say I got my $$$'s worth from Joe. Very reasonable price, but more important was the piece of mind that it was being done right.

I think his prices would be better, but Sheri is driving them up to get more parts for her Fiat.

I think his prices would be better, but Sheri is driving them up to get more parts for her Fiat.

Did I forget to tell you that I found a bill for you? It was for another $1,000. (I found a top and the door handles for the Fiat so that ought to bout cover it) You know we were nice to you....it's the people we(or I) don't like that get that "special" service. And I like you, otherwise I would asked if you liked plain Vaseline or Powder scented. :lol:

Sheri

Archived