Spoke to FLP today...

I think his prices would be better, but Sheri is driving them up to get more parts for her Fiat.

Did I forget to tell you that I found a bill for you? It was for another $1,000. (I found a top and the door handles for the Fiat so that ought to bout cover it) You know we were nice to you....it's the people we(or I) don't like that get that "special" service. And I like you, otherwise I would asked if you liked plain Vaseline or Powder scented. :lol:

Sheri

Yea Sheri, look for that check in the mail.

It must be my boyish charm.

You guys going to be at the shop on Saturday? My Brother-in-law is flying into San Antonio this weekend and I will be down there Saturday and Sunday. I may stop by for a few and say hi if you are going to be there.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think FLP makes a very good tranny, much the same for Rosler. Granted they cost more than the sum of the parts, but you go to them wanting it done by someone that knows, period.

Joe-blow on the corner normally isn't going to know everything about a 4L60-65E tranny, and just improvises on what he thinks should work. He probably won't know how to set your shift points, lock-up, or line pressure. FLP has a good amount of high-tech testing equipment and can test a tranny till it fails, fix that, and move on. I'm sure Rosler does the same. Joe-blow uses you as the testing equipment. :eek:

A tranny is a sum of good parts that work together, not just a bunch of "best parts" thrown together.

I understand if Zippy and Benkey have different view points, but they know more, and have better understanding, and have located a good shop to do the upgrades, a big key to success. :thumbs:

Did I forget to tell you that I found a bill for you? It was for another $1,000. (I found a top and the door handles for the Fiat so that ought to bout cover it) You know we were nice to you....it's the people we(or I) don't like that get that "special" service. And I like you, otherwise I would asked if you liked plain Vaseline or Powder scented. 

Sheri

Boy, not so evasive there, like on the phone. :)

good points jason. one of the things to keep in mind on this subject is guys have went 13's on their completely stock 4L65E without any problems and one guy in the 12's. adding just basic parts is all its going to take to get one to hold up to the kind of power most of these guys are going to put out. in the case of this being a 408 on the way with a turbo it's going to take the best 4L65E you can put in there. the main issue being that some just go right for an all out custom made trans with a big name when it doesn't take that to hold the amount of power they're putting down.

Boy, not so evasive there, like on the phone. :)

Glad my shop isn't on a corner and my last name is "Blow".....I'd be up shit creek and never even met that guy!

Joe

:jester::jester::jester::thumbs:

good one joe. :pop:

AZ is in the 11s on a completely stock tranny. A little different being just strictly a race truck though.

yeah, it's more of a hp issue. matt went 12.3 with his before i worked on it and with only a shift kit, servo's, and boost valve with mild LS1 edit tuning it held up fine. with the extra bite of the new clutches etc., it did break, but nothing that wasn't fixable and it only broke a stock part. a drum with the collar around the input shaft would have likely held up or just having more stall. the 4L65E is pretty well better stock than most local transmission builders can build a 4L60E for you. on the other hand if you bring them the parts, you can have a pretty well built 4L65E that way as long as the builder is at least able to assemble the parts correctly. when you get past the point of that working, you go to the big guys. until that point you at least don't have enough money into trying to make work what you already have that you're out much.

I spent $1200 total on parts and labor to get my tranny built with parts that I bought. I used FLPs website to help me get what I thought was the "right" stuff. Also, with the help of a few of you guys.

The main parts, the ones that I have heard of failing the most (the more common ones), I matched to the pics on FLPs website. They look exactly the same. It would not surprise me if they didn't produce those parts themselves to sell in the aftermarket world, or just bought the same stuff.

The main key, IMO, to keeping your tranny alive is your driving habits. If you run it like you want it to break, eventually it will - even with a FLP or Rossler built tranny. If everyday is a trip to the track for your tranny - then it's just on borrowed time.

I spent $1200 total on parts and labor to get my tranny built with parts that I bought. I used FLPs website to help me get what I thought was the "right" stuff. Also, with the help of a few of you guys.

The main parts, the ones that I have heard of failing the most (the more common ones), I matched to the pics on FLPs website. They look exactly the same. It would not surprise me if they didn't produce those parts themselves to sell in the aftermarket world, or just bought the same stuff.

The main key, IMO, to keeping your tranny alive is your driving habits. If you run it like you want it to break, eventually it will - even with a FLP or Rossler built tranny. If everyday is a trip to the track for your tranny - then it's just on borrowed time.

Agreed (at least on one of these trannies). I'm not even going to be hitting the track that much. I am more of a "enjoy driving it" hotrodder than a "fastest truck in the world" hotrodder.

Here's the $14.23 question. If I don't get a crazy assed tranny, and do go to the track, should I arrange for a ride home?

The 80E option is back on the table thanks to Parish, Kurt, Zippy, etc. Sounds like it could be a big programming / electrical headache, however. That should be cut in half if I can keep the awd.

I don't like the new drive shafts and new cross member fabs, but if I can do one tranny swap, one time, it might be worth while. I can probably find a used 80E and get it rebuilt for $500-1000.

Really, I was hoping for a fix that could last a while and not be a constant source of worry, and yet not requirement to reengineer the whole truck :) I suppose I should've thought about that before giving in to the hp bug, but that just ain't how I am wired :D

Here's the $14.23 question.  If I don't get a crazy assed tranny, and do go to the track, should I arrange for a ride home? 

The 80E option is back on the table thanks to Parish, Kurt, Zippy, etc.  Sounds like it could be a big programming / electrical headache, however.  That should be cut in half if I can keep the awd.

Depends on how much you plan to visit the track. I'll be honest with you, I have more fingers than my truck will "probably" hit the track. I plan to hit it a couple of times this summer to see how the tuning is going, then once or twice when it gets cooler. If my times are pretty good, I may never return, unless we have another meet or something. Do I need a "crazy assed tranny" for that - I think I'll be fine with what I have. I'll beat it up more on the street, than at the track with the occasional race here and there.

I hope it will hold out until the 80E option is available for us, keeping the AWD. Even it means swapping out to a different transfer case - I'd do it.

I didn't think Kurt had done the 80E.

Get a pkg today?

Depends on how much you plan to visit the track. I'll be honest with you, I have more fingers than my truck will "probably" hit the track. I plan to hit it a couple of times this summer to see how the tuning is going, then once or twice when it gets cooler. If my times are pretty good, I may never return, unless we have another meet or something. Do I need a "crazy assed tranny" for that - I think I'll be fine with what I have. I'll beat it up more on the street, than at the track with the occasional race here and there.

I hope it will hold out until the 80E option is available for us, keeping the AWD. Even it means swapping out to a different transfer case - I'd do it.

I didn't think Kurt had done the 80E.

Get a pkg today?

No package yet.

We can do the 80E today by switching to the manual 4x4 tcase as Parish did (or even an autotrax). We can even do the 80E with awd, I am pretty certain. But I think you mean a turn key option? If I had the time or energy these days, I spin one up, but I tend to turn my hobbies into work and then they ain't hobbies anymore.

Kurt has a mystery part to hook his up (he wouldn't tell me where he found the 32 spline gear for the awd). He is waiting for his AWD dyno to be done so he can test the power loss on the 80E. He told me he could get the shaft turned down and resplined and even build an 80E for me but it would be a slow process.

Archived