Anybody Successfully Add Tpms?

kelleyperformance

like the title says, ive been thinking of trying the task of putting in TPMS into my truck. i know it wasnt available in our trucks, but it was in the escalade, tahoe, and denali trucks for a couple years. since they are practically the same everything, i figured at worst case i could swap a tahoe BCM into my truck, but more than likely our BCMs will accept the TPMS option via GM programming... i honestly just never tried, and even if it would i was wondering if it would even display on the cluster, since i have that stupid cheapo cluster from the 05+ price cuts (analog gear selector reading :banghead: ). from my memory being inside the cluster, i dont think it even has a TPMS light. SO, has anyone (chpspecial???) successfully put TPMS into the SSS???? any feedback to shorten my technical journey would be much appreciated :cheers:

EDIT: i realized right after posting that i left out the RCDLR out of my "list" up there, and didnt want the storm of corrections in place of suggestions to rain down :lol: . so i guess i hope that will reprogram like the tahoe too lol... damn this is already giving me a headache and i havent started lol

John :D

Edited by kelleyperformance (see edit history)

I looked into this a bit too. With the radio in the pdm, the system on 05-up trucks can be turned on with a tech II, and probably a bcm flash, and then add the sensors and program them to the truck.

My trucks an 03, so I don't know if I can get it to work in mine even if I change the PDM.

Edited by paulguy (see edit history)

ok then im going to give it a shot! ordering the sensors now... then i guess see if enabling it from my tech 2 is possible, which sometimes is all you need to do (C5), but prob need a BCM flash as well. ill keep you all posted, and do a step-by-step if im successful :D

Good luck! If it does work out, a "How-to" would be awesome!

ok then im going to give it a shot! ordering the sensors now... then i guess see if enabling it from my tech 2 is possible, which sometimes is all you need to do (C5), but prob need a BCM flash as well. ill keep you all posted, and do a step-by-step if im successful :D

i have it on my 08 and could care less about it , i have to adjust my pressures from winter to summer with varying temps it triggers them and is just annoying . im glad the new benz doesent have them .

nitrogen would solve my problem but i had to reprogram the thresholds any way since 37" tires dont need the 65 psi that the nnbs 1 ton trucks come set at.

i have it on my 08 and could care less about it , i have to adjust my pressures from winter to summer with varying temps it triggers them and is just annoying . im glad the new benz doesent have them .

nitrogen would solve my problem but i had to reprogram the thresholds any way since 37" tires dont need the 65 psi that the nnbs 1 ton trucks come set at.

its always nice to know if your driving on a low or flat tire, especially if towing or driving on the edge. it could avoid a crash and little things like tire wear too... also its easy to change the threshold on your truck :D

yeah i know how too , but i dont own the tech2 so i have to go borrow one .

i have used it to many times , i am upgrading the SS to escalade lux nav with the big amp soon so ill be tampering in with it again soon , i do see your point i guess it makes more sense on my big truck .

That was one of the 1st things I noticed the SS didnt have when I got it and wasnt thrilled, as my previous GM vehicle that was an 02 Buick fully loaded had TPMS. I will have to get Nitrogen, but this would be sweet to have.

However, having your house completely remodeled and the dumb roofers didnt use a magnetic stick to pick up the leftover nails in the mulch beds, then washed roffing nails into the driveway. Just under 2 grand worth of tire repairs later the dealership said they would go into court for me. And the owner of the company wanted to race the SS in his Ram V6. Should have taking him on that for pinks.

G/L with this Jon, its a great idea.

• 2 weeks later...

so i looked into it some more today, and its much different than the other/newer TPMS vehicles... i had also forgot that there was no RCDLR in these trucks, they use the passenger door module for key fobs. so i looked into the BCM, and looking at the schematic for the TPMS, it doesnt go thru the BCM at all. it starts out with power at the cab fuse box, which strangely already had a fuse in it lol... then it goes to a seperate TPM module, and then into the IPC. im not sure if thats how my truck is set up, because obviously that schematic isnt specifically for our trucks, its for a silverado with TPMS from OEM. my truck had the TPMS actually showed up under "Chasis" section of the Tech 2, and it had a special functions "enable" for TPMS. however, it will not enable for some reason... i havent spent any time seeing why yet, and have not installed the sensors yet either. it could be simply that the TPMS wont enable beacuse it needs to already have sensors and be in learn mode; OR its missing that TPMS module that might or might not install into our trucks :cry: this is more complex than i thought, on C5 vettes its a 1-2-3 done kind of thing... but i feel that it is possible, so i am going to make it happen :D ill keep you all posted!

:cheers:

ok so the passenger door module receives the TPMS signals, and there is only one part number for the TPMS truck and our trucks. this means i SHOULD (keyword lol) be able to enable it, and install the TPMS sensors into my tires. then all i SHOULD have to do is learn the sensors to the truck, and done! havent checked the IPC yet to make sure it can display the pressures and the light... that may require reprogramming of something, but ill handle that when i get there lol. my sensors should be here monday so ill post my results then.

njow i think of it , id like it with my drag radials to see where im at on the strip on all four corners .

i have to do a bunch of tech2 programming since im doing the touch nav and lux bose amp soon so this wouldnt be too bad to enable as well.

• 4 weeks later...

ok so this has NOT worked out like i had hoped :banghead: the Passenger Door Module (PDM) recieves the signal from the TPMS sensors, and it isnt a different PDM than the trucks that have TPMS. BUUUUUTTTTT there is a TPMS module under the dash by the steering column that is missing from the equation. i have tried everything... reprogramming the PDM for TPMS, tried enabling it through the Tech 2. it will not enable, and programming doesnt help either. so if the cluster is the same (look close, we have the little low tire light in there), and the PDM is the same... but it wont enable or program- i think i need to find the part number of this TPMS module and order one. then the next step is digging the connector out of the harness :( i have been so backed up with Supervettes lately that i havent had a chance to even touch my truck or come on the boards. SO i am going to continue this next week. ill keep you all posted

:cheers: