Best Brakes For Vho

1500VHO

Hi to all,

I completed a quick search, but found no topics for the "best brakes" for a 2005 Silverado VHO.

My budget would be $600.00 or less... Name brands preferably. Dealer installed GMPP brakes, Ok.... I do have drums in the rear. I will do a Complete brake repair. Disk/Rotor and pads, Drums and rear pads.

I would like everything new... and same manufacturer. I live in Michigan, but could or would order online... Any help appreciated :-)

This is what I'm currently looking at: http://brakeperformance.com/cart/index.php?ad=Exit-Offer

Any advantages to cross-drilled vs, standard rotors??

Ceramic vs. Metallic pads??

If any discussions are already in this forum, just point me there...

Thanks for your time in advance, :-)

Hey, when I went to your link, it just took me to an empty cart... How many miles did you get out of your first set of pads? I have 63,xxx on mine and they look ridiculously thick. I was amazed. In fact, I thought something must be wrong, but after looking around here and talking to other GM truck folks, I found out the first set routinely goes way over a 100k... My truck has a whole lot of HWY miles on it, too.... I would like to have one of the bigger brake kits they advertise, but I don't know anything about them. I have rotors all around. I am interested in what the guys have to say about slotted and drilled, etc...

Hey, when I went to your link, it just took me to an empty cart... How many miles did you get out of your first set of pads? I have 63,xxx on mine and they look ridiculously thick. I was amazed. In fact, I thought something must be wrong, but after looking around here and talking to other GM truck folks, I found out the first set routinely goes way over a 100k... My truck has a whole lot of HWY miles on it, too.... I would like to have one of the bigger brake kits they advertise, but I don't know anything about them. I have rotors all around. I am interested in what the guys have to say about slotted and drilled, etc...

Hi Don,

So sorry about the link... I'll try again. http://brakeperformance.com/index.php

I have 72,400 right now on the brakes. Based on thickness testing I did (micrometer), I should be about 60% thru them. So I have a lot left, and 100,000 miles should be doable. I was just wondering what kind or type I should go too?? Maybe staying with the GM original type of brakes is the best solution... GMPP thru my local dealer offers upgraded brake pads and rotors as well...

As for the brakes. That was my question as well. Slotted vs drilled vs bigger, etc. Ceramic pads vs Metallic pads. I've read the ceramic do not create a lot of dust on the rims, but they do take a little time to heat up to get the best braking performance. So ceramics would be a poor idea in Michigan's winters??? I don't really know. Looking for experiences from folks here.

I hope the link works better this time!!! :-)

There is a "Suspension / Brake Tech" section of the forum that has tons of information on different brake setups, both 4-wheel disk, and disk / drum configurations. That said, I have the Baer Alumasport disk package all the way around, and they are a major improvement over stock. They look good. They are also expensive. You could use those in front, and upgrade the rear drums with better shoes. There are lots of options available, so good hunting. Check out that forum section. :thumbs:

Edit: Some people don't like cross drilled because they say cracks develop. I have not had that problem. Slotted (without the cross drilling) disks are available from other manufacturers. I think EBC is one of them.

Edited by Hankg42 (see edit history)

There is a "Suspension / Brake Tech" section of the forum that has tons of information on different brake setups, both 4-wheel disk, and disk / drum configurations. That said, I have the Baer Alumasport disk package all the way around, and they are a major improvement over stock. They look good. They are also expensive. You could use those in front, and upgrade the rear drums with better shoes. There are lots of options available, so good hunting. Check out that forum section. :thumbs:

Edit: Some people don't like cross drilled because they say cracks develop. I have not had that problem. Slotted (without the cross drilling) disks are available from other manufacturers. I think EBC is one of them.

Thanks Hank!

That is what I was looking for. Experiences from folks with regard to cross drilled vs slotted vs stock.

I did look at the Baer Brakes as well... I'll check out the Alumasport dick package...

Take care, :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I have the EBC slotted and dimpled rotors and yellow stuff pads. Better performance over stock but the so called "wind noise" drives me nuts. Google EBC rotor noise and you'll get a heap of complains on it. I have also had summit's drilled and slotted rotors and EBC green stuff pads before and I didn't notice performance difference and they did start to crack. I will also be installing some Stop Tech stainless steel brake lines this weekend so I am sure that will help alot too. I got the brake lines from autoanything.com (took 3 weeks for delivery) and the rotors and pads from brakewharehouse.com (really cheap prices and good shipping) total cost me about $400. If I were to do it all over I would go back to stock (or just slotted) and use the SS brake lines and look into a hydroboost swap or go with a Z06 brake conversion ($1200-$1400).

Hope this helps.

If I were to do it all over I would go back to stock (or just slotted) and use the SS brake lines...

I'm guessing by SS you're referring to Stainless Steel brake lines, not the stock "Silverado SS" brake lines. I installed the Earl's Stainless Steel lines, when they were still available, and that was a good improvement over stock. I think Russell is one brand that still has the lines available for our trucks. :thumbs: