How I Can Install Intimidator Ss Spoiler ?

ser13ant

You need:

* 3-piece SSI spoiler

* small metal inner left & right brackets (secures the bottoms of the left & right winglets)

* aluminum "well-nuts" (installs threads in the tailgate to secure the tailgate wing section)

* double-sided adhesive body tape (10-12 ft?)

* bolts that thread into the tailgate well-nuts (holds the tailgate wing section to the tailgate)

Middle (tailgate) wing section is the most straightforward to install: remove the original OE plastic tailgate 'cap'; after you remove it, you will see the hex-shaped holes in the tailgate skin which accept the threaded well-nuts. The tailgate well-nuts have to be installed by a dealership body man, special tooling is required. Once you have the well-nuts installed in the tailgate, you apply double-side tape to the *inner* edge of the wing, then slip the whole piece onto the tailgate, and lastly install the bolts into the tailgate. The outside edge is held with bolts, the inner edge is held with double-sided tape.

End winglets are a bit more involved - you have to drill a few holes into the bed of your truck. There are 3 small holes required to hold each bracket, and a larger 5/16" hole for the main anchor stud on each winglet. You have to remove the taillights so you can get your hand up inside the innards of the bed and secure the hardware. You can either fit & guess the locations of the holes you have to drill (I did), OR you can use the GM template that shows you exactly where to drill - the template has been posted on this forum before, search for it and that way you will have the tool needed so you don't have to redrill holes which were misplaced by accident. After the winglets are test-fitted, they are lined with double-sided body tape and bolted into place, both winglet are retained with tape and bolts.

The body tape I bought from a body shop for a couple bucks. The bolts I got from the dealer using the VIN of a real SSI truck, they are *expensive* like $5 per bolt. The well-nuts are cheap, like 35-cents each. The brackets should come with the wing, but if you don't have them there is a member who posted plans to make your own out of sheet metal (they are simple brackets). The winglet brackets also use a "low-profile" bolt, it is probably dealer-specific too. The rest of the hardware is small hardware, available at any hardware store. If you have a VIN from a real SSI truck (use eBay!) then the GM parts dealer can easily pull-up the parts list and exploded assembly diagram.

Mr. P.

You need:

* 3-piece SSI spoiler

* small metal inner left & right brackets (secures the bottoms of the left & right winglets)

* aluminum "well-nuts" (installs threads in the tailgate to secure the tailgate wing section)

* double-sided adhesive body tape (10-12 ft?)

* bolts that thread into the tailgate well-nuts (holds the tailgate wing section to the tailgate)

Middle (tailgate) wing section is the most straightforward to install: remove the original OE plastic tailgate 'cap'; after you remove it, you will see the hex-shaped holes in the tailgate skin which accept the threaded well-nuts. The tailgate well-nuts have to be installed by a dealership body man, special tooling is required. Once you have the well-nuts installed in the tailgate, you apply double-side tape to the *inner* edge of the wing, then slip the whole piece onto the tailgate, and lastly install the bolts into the tailgate. The outside edge is held with bolts, the inner edge is held with double-sided tape.

End winglets are a bit more involved - you have to drill a few holes into the bed of your truck. There are 3 small holes required to hold each bracket, and a larger 5/16" hole for the main anchor stud on each winglet. You have to remove the taillights so you can get your hand up inside the innards of the bed and secure the hardware. You can either fit & guess the locations of the holes you have to drill (I did), OR you can use the GM template that shows you exactly where to drill - the template has been posted on this forum before, search for it and that way you will have the tool needed so you don't have to redrill holes which were misplaced by accident. After the winglets are test-fitted, they are lined with double-sided body tape and bolted into place, both winglet are retained with tape and bolts.

The body tape I bought from a body shop for a couple bucks. The bolts I got from the dealer using the VIN of a real SSI truck, they are *expensive* like $5 per bolt. The well-nuts are cheap, like 35-cents each. The brackets should come with the wing, but if you don't have them there is a member who posted plans to make your own out of sheet metal (they are simple brackets). The winglet brackets also use a "low-profile" bolt, it is probably dealer-specific too. The rest of the hardware is small hardware, available at any hardware store. If you have a VIN from a real SSI truck (use eBay!) then the GM parts dealer can easily pull-up the parts list and exploded assembly diagram.

Mr. P.

Not sure if things have changed but I have the Gm print out sheet to install this wing. Its the real deal, I went to the dealer in my town and he couldn't come up with anything, He even called a tech at chevy. This is the same sheet that Carl used to make the brackets. Again not sure if you can still get parts!

Here is a couple pics of when I dont the install on my truck when I first fabbed up my brackets. I wish I had some more pics but this is all I have and I sold the truck...Also on the inside of the wing or the inside of the bed part of the wing has 5 bolt holes. I used double sided tape and drilled and tapped the holes with a 6mm tap and used the same screws as the holes on the back of the tailgate. Mr P. done a great job on the how to and this needs to be a sticky...:takealook:

Picture085.jpg

Picture084.jpg

Here is a pic of the bolt you need and the first bracket I made

Picture123.jpg

Picture131.jpg

Also when you put the side pieces on the truck after you have drilled your holes, bolt the bracket in the wing end piece before you try and put it on the truck.

Picture130.jpg

Here is the part #s for the well nuts and screws...

Well nuts for t-gate: 11609293: you will need 4 of these

Screws: 15151978: you will need 11 of these

Nuts for side spoilers: 15685170 you will need 2 of these.

Edited by Carls LQ9 SS (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

:withstupid:

Yup, they had a big group buy. Now if you want one have to pay an arm and a leg compared to the GB purchase. I think its about $100-125 more in cost to buy it now. Its actually more rare to not have one on a SS truck since they were such a big hit here.

Edited by 03mass (see edit history)

• 5 years later...